Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 04:40 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times

Advertisements

SE Florida and east Orlando. Plenty of interracial couples and diverse. Orlando is a bit more family friendly with housing cost and land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 04:44 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Ok, then perhaps I should have phrased it a little different. Sparsley populated counties that have large major correctional institutions, not just work release centers and work camps. There's a reason they put the worst of the worst out in the sticks, so the inmates know if they escape they can look forward to many miles of mosquitos, poisonous snakes, and alligator infested swamp. It ain't Aunt Margaret's Florida with golf carts and plastic pink flamingos, it's redneckville, the good ole boy system........who do you thinks watches the inmates?

I'm just giving the OP some sound advice as I've lived here 43 years and know they'd be better off in a larger metro than some town of 2,000 and a third of them work at the big house.

BTW, there are no major state prisons in Nassau,Clay, St John's, Flagler,Citrus, Pinellas and several more counties.
There is a lot of Klan infiltration in the rural prison guard system. This

Old 01-19-2024, 10:54 AM

624 posts, read 400,285 times
Old thread bump but useful nonetheless - The OP never came back, but she and I have ALOT in common. My wife is as white as snow also from central IL and I'm foreign born mixed race black.

To those unaware, Central IL is corn fields, silos, soybeans, tornadoes, and HEAVILY red politically...I go twice a year and have first hand experience so the OP is NOT exaggerating...this has not changed from 2010. I've long said that if Illinois did not have Chicagoland it would possibly be more red than Indiana (and a lot less relevant nationally).

There is a strong sentiment from those in Central and Southern Illinois that Chicago is too powerful and influential to the state and while not as strong, it reminds me of the 'Greater Idaho Movement' a conservative activist effort to secede from Oregon and join Idaho - Before any chime in attempting to disagree, I'm boots on the ground in Central Illinois and this is where it's heading, in theory at least.

I quoted below due to agreeing with it heavily. Southeast Florida is unquestionably the best place in Florida in progressive thought (outside of insular and subtly racist Hialeah), open-mindedness, and embracing different lifestyles and cultures with Broward County being the best of the 3 in this regard.

I believe the Tri Rail portion of your post was a joke, but there is some truth to it...progressiveness practically stops once you reach Tri Rail's northernmost stop and it doesn't reappear until one visits CERTAIN parts of Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson357 View Post
Hi,
I'm in the same boat Sister! Lol. I'm so glad you're speaking out about this because my husband and I always deal with stuff, wherever we go. We are a peaceful traditional couple who just so happens to be "interracial." As someone born and raised in Miami, Southeast coast is best. Anywhere from Miami to West Palm Beach... and that's it for Florida folks. Crazy coincidence, even the TriRail stops at West Palm Beach! Haha. It's sad that this seems like it's a never ending war, but I feel like as long as we keep fighting ignorance, intelligence will clear the path and one day we'll all finally be at peace. It will help to put together well written handouts teaching people, for instance: Traditional romance, statistics, humanitarian truths, survival facts, the way to happiness through self improvement, etc. We need to show the world what's right from wrong. So please keep going! Pray together and stay together Sis. Wishing you many blessings, protection, peace, and success! Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Anderson

Old 01-20-2024, 06:22 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Old thread bump but useful nonetheless - The OP never came back, but she and I have ALOT in common. My wife is as white as snow also from central IL and I'm foreign born mixed race black.

To those unaware, Central IL is corn fields, silos, soybeans, tornadoes, and HEAVILY red politically...I go twice a year and have first hand experience so the OP is NOT exaggerating...this has not changed from 2010. I've long said that if Illinois did not have Chicagoland it would possibly be more red than Indiana (and a lot less relevant nationally).

There is a strong sentiment from those in Central and Southern Illinois that Chicago is too powerful and influential to the state and while not as strong, it reminds me of the 'Greater Idaho Movement' a conservative activist effort to secede from Oregon and join Idaho - Before any chime in attempting to disagree, I'm boots on the ground in Central Illinois and this is where it's heading, in theory at least.

I quoted below due to agreeing with it heavily. Southeast Florida is unquestionably the best place in Florida in progressive thought (outside of insular and subtly racist Hialeah), open-mindedness, and embracing different lifestyles and cultures with Broward County being the best of the 3 in this regard.

I believe the Tri Rail portion of your post was a joke, but there is some truth to it...progressiveness practically stops once you reach Tri Rail's northernmost stop and it doesn't reappear until one visits CERTAIN parts of Orlando.
Rural, southern Missouri is much more to the right than Southern IL. I mean the southern quarter of Missouri. Even more red than the Ozark counties of Arkansas.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:13 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

I think that part of what has been experienced in 1,000 person towns like that is not due to politics or race, but basically just being an "outsider".

I've been all through small towns in the midwest, walk into the diner and get stared at even as a non-descript white guy.

They all know each other since gradeschool or by relation etc. You honk at the old lady holding up traffic? You'll get an earful from your mom by dinner and in trouble with your girlfriend for honking at her favorite teacher.

Just saying that I've heard this before and imo it's often just culture shock and that goes BOTH ways.

All the best, hope your moves worked out great.

P.S. I saw\heard more racism when I lived in Chicago than when I was in small towns.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:10 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Fourteen year old post. Just sayin

Old 01-29-2024, 04:45 PM

Now couple all that with being non-white…in fact with being a black foreigner from South Florida such as myself. I go to Arthur, IL and interact with the Amish regularly - I’ve even bought eggs from their homes. I’ve probably interacted with the amish more than most people black or white ever will.

In these small, insular towns I’ve heard many xenophobic and racial comments…you’re clearly glossing over the racial component big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think that part of what has been experienced in 1,000 person towns like that is not due to politics or race, but basically just being an "outsider".

I've been all through small towns in the midwest, walk into the diner and get stared at even as a non-descript white guy.

They all know each other since gradeschool or by relation etc. You honk at the old lady holding up traffic? You'll get an earful from your mom by dinner and in trouble with your girlfriend for honking at her favorite teacher.

Just saying that I've heard this before and imo it's often just culture shock and that goes BOTH ways.

All the best, hope your moves worked out great.

P.S. I saw\heard more racism when I lived in Chicago than when I was in small towns.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:04 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Now couple all that with being non-white…in fact with being a black foreigner from South Florida such as myself. I go to Arthur, IL and interact with the Amish regularly - I’ve even bought eggs from their homes. I’ve probably interacted with the amish more than most people black or white ever will.

In these small, insular towns I’ve heard many xenophobic and racial comments…you’re clearly glossing over the racial component big time.
Buying eggs is your interaction with a population group and you base what on this experience?

Old 01-29-2024, 05:26 PM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
We are an interracial couple and we have had no problems here in FL. We used to live in Jacksonville, which has a large African American population and is more "segregated" and you find more racism. The underlying racism we felt came from African Americans, mostly African-American women. But we did not really care, to tell you the truth. My husband is a dark-skinned Latino and I am a very white European. We have never experienced direct, open racism against us anywhere. When it happens, it is more subtle.

Now we live in Orlando and the population here is so diverse that we really feel like home. There are interracial couples everywhere most of which share the same culture, e. g. both are Puerto Rican or Dominican or else.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:58 AM

It’s more than buying eggs…that’s was but one example. I go to Arthur, IL at least two times per year and spend almost the entire day there. Please tell us what your first hand experience with the amish are?

I’d even settle for your first hand experiences with the mennonites - would you know the differences between the amish and mennonites without the assistance of Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Buying eggs is your interaction with a population group and you base what on this experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida