Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:30 AM

626 posts, read 400,285 times

Advertisements

Aside from St. Louis, I don’t know much about Missouri. With you being from the state, I will defer to you. I will tell you a crazy story however; I was in Central IL in May of 2011, we arrived in late but the next morning my wife’s father said “Man there was a pretty bad tornado in Missouri around Joplin last night.”

Little did we know, it would become the infamous ‘Joplin Tornado’ and that I had traveled to the Midwest BY CAR during one of the most active Tornado outbreaks in years - I literally heard tornado sirens all weekend and they didn’t stop until we were well south of Alabama…Interesting and scary times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Rural, southern Missouri is much more to the right than Southern IL. I mean the southern quarter of Missouri. Even more red than the Ozark counties of Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 10:17 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
I don't think almost anywhere is unsafe for interracial couples in Florida — at least for the black or latino person in the relationship. Maybe some pockets of unincorporated cracker cousin-f__k methistan in the middle of nowhere, but those are easily avoided.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:17 PM

So pretty much anywhere outside of the blue counties in Florida? That’s probably a pretty good rule of thumb nationwide too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I don't think almost anywhere is unsafe for interracial couples in Florida — at least for the black or latino person in the relationship. Maybe some pockets of unincorporated cracker cousin-f__k methistan in the middle of nowhere, but those are easily avoided ].

Old 02-02-2024, 02:16 PM

17,131 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
So pretty much anywhere outside of the blue counties in Florida? That’s probably a pretty good rule of thumb nationwide too.
I wouldn't even go that far. I lived in Lake County for 9 years (Mount Dora) and while I hated it for a number of reasons, I never felt out of place, nor unsafe, based on being biracial and being in an interracial relationship.

Now, going to places like THIS:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.9952...8192?entry=ttu

can be downright frightening. I had to go to this particular neighborhood once, to drop off a trailer full of tools. Never again.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:50 PM

That may be a bit too far, but you can't deny heading to a low population, heavily red county wouldn't at least increase the odds of running into these types of scenarios.

Also what area is this?! Did you hear any banjos playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I wouldn't even go that far. I lived in Lake County for 9 years (Mount Dora) and while I hated it for a number of reasons, I never felt out of place, nor unsafe, based on being biracial and being in an interracial relationship.

Now, going to places like THIS:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.9952...8192?entry=ttu

can be downright frightening. I had to go to this particular neighborhood once, to drop off a trailer full of tools. Never again.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
That may be a bit too far, but you can't deny heading to a low population, heavily red county wouldn't at least increase the odds of running into these types of scenarios.

Also what area is this?! Did you hear any banjos playing?
LMAO! It's called "don't go there."

It's at the far edge of Lake County.

No, I didn't hear banjos playing. But, everyone there looked like zombies. Basically lifeless, soulless eyes, all skinny, sweating bullets, wearing dirty tank tops...
Everyone looked like meth heads. And I definitely did not feel safe there for many reasons -- skin color included.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:14 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
LMAO! It's called "don't go there."

It's at the far edge of Lake County.

No, I didn't hear banjos playing. But, everyone there looked like zombies. Basically lifeless, soulless eyes, all skinny, sweating bullets, wearing dirty tank tops...
Everyone looked like meth heads. And I definitely did not feel safe there for many reasons -- skin color included.
The area that you posted a link to is at the far northern edge of Lake County which is either in or very close to the Ocala National Forest which is a rather remote part of the county and the state. The National Forest has very limited development in it with lots of old mobile homes, cabins, and rundown shacks.

Just a few miles from the National Forest, there are modern subdivisions and developments that are TOTALLY different in appearance and character from the scene you posted. One of these developments is called The Villages which has some homes that are worth well over $1,000,000 and it looks nothing like the area you posted.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The area that you posted a link to is at the far northern edge of Lake County which is either in or very close to the Ocala National Forest which is a rather remote part of the county and the state. The National Forest has very limited development in it with lots of old mobile homes, cabins, and rundown shacks.

Just a few miles from the National Forest, there are modern subdivisions and developments that are TOTALLY different in appearance and character from the scene you posted. One of these developments is called The Villages which has some homes that are worth well over $1,000,000 and it looks nothing like the area you posted.
I’m well aware of that. I think most of us know what The Villages is. Not sure what the point of your reply is…?

Old 02-06-2024, 07:11 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
I’m well aware of that. I think most of us know what The Villages is. Not sure what the point of your reply is…?
The point of my reply was to say that the remote area you are referring to is a relatively small area of Lake County. Not all of Lake County or even a substantial portion of it is like what you posted a link to.

The Ocala National Forest is purposely maintained as a remote area that covers a portion of several different counties. There's even a "bombing range" in part of that remote forest where the military carries out live bombing exercises from time to time.

I just didn't want others who may not be familiar with the region to think that ALL of Lake County looks like that because it certainly doesn't. Yes, I realize that you didn't SAY that all of Lake County looks like that, but people who don't know better might ASSUME that the link you provided was typical of Lake County.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The point of my reply was to say that the remote area you are referring to is a relatively small area of Lake County. Not all of Lake County or even a substantial portion of it is like what you posted a link to.

The Ocala National Forest is purposely maintained as a remote area that covers a portion of several different counties. There's even a "bombing range" in part of that remote forest where the military carries out live bombing exercises from time to time.

I just didn't want others who may not be familiar with the region to think that ALL of Lake County looks like that because it certainly doesn't. Yes, I realize that you didn't SAY that all of Lake County looks like that, but people who don't know better might ASSUME that the link you provided was typical of Lake County.

You must not have read through any of this thread, as not too far back, I mentioned that I lived in Mount Dora for 9 years, and that despite not liking it for various reasons, any sort of racial bias was not part of it. Obviously much of Lake County isn’t like that. Clermont is in Lake County too.
But these places do exist, in quite a large number or parts, and when cruising through the rural areas (such as Grand Island, Sorrento, Umatilla, etc.) it is VERY easy to unknowingly stumble into these areas. I think to most outsiders, even coming from as close as Orlando, this would be substantial — let alone to someone coming from the Miami area, which is who I was responding to.

Anyway, if you go back just a handful of posts, you’ll see how and why I even brought this area up. If anything, my post was in defense of “red counties,” with a slight heads up warning regarding select areas.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 02-06-2024 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida