Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 AM

263 posts, read 890,002 times

Advertisements

We're going be in Cocoa Beach in 2 weeks for a week long vacation , and will still be trying to find jobs while there. We have been trying to line up jobs all over Florida since October 09, and I really wish someone would take us seriously. We are applying for jobs that we are more than qualified for, some are pay cuts, and keep getting told we need to be local. How am I supposed to move without health insurance lined up for our child??

If our house sells soon, that may be what I end up doing, moving without jobs and hoping our savings holds up until someone takes us seriously... I really want to end up in Brevard County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Good luck!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
This winter spent month plus traveling around FL in RV. It seemed no matter where we went there were a high amount of closed business, malls, vacant buildings, etc. FL unemployment rate is 12%, so you might want to get a job first before you move.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
You.... competing against half of the residents here in Florida, you know who will get a job(if there is one) first.... Sorry to be a negative Nelly, but you are asking nearly the impossible.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 PM

21 posts, read 49,947 times
if u need any info..please dont hestitate to ask..resident of north merritt island for the past 5 yrs..however in the process of moving up to ormond beach..but if you got any questions about the area...i really try to keep myself up to date w/ the real estate around here..one of my favorite past times..and i too have kids..so i can understand your cautiousness..

hey if ur interested in a mic-mansion brick beauty 4/3 2500sqft w/pool/spa, 2-2.5 car garages plus w/ boat storage on nearly an acre, kitchen is all brick w/ top of the line stainless steel appliances, has the whole tuscan theme. Lots of extras...let me know..considered renting it out..

Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 AM

263 posts, read 890,002 times
Daytona - I have a little hound dog, a large, goofy, lovable, non-vicious 80 lb golden retriever and 2 lazy cats. And I can pay 900.00 plus utilities per month... still available?

That's been another issue of ours, trying to find a place like that...

Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
OP - Your in a tight spot. Some jobs people are hired from out of state, you must be in a field that isn't as specialized. So maybe for you, moving down is a better option, but only if you have at least a years worth of savings just incase you do not find a job quickly. As far as finding a place that will allow a big dog, you probably need to look at individual landlords, not the big complexes. As most big complexes will not allow big dogs. Just know that individuals looking to rent out their properties are probably looking for someone to move in ASAP. I would sell my house before you move though, so you don't have to worry about the mortgage and rent down here. So make that house as enticing to a buyer as you can to make it sell.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM

613 posts, read 960,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
We're going be in Cocoa Beach in 2 weeks for a week long vacation , and will still be trying to find jobs while there. We have been trying to line up jobs all over Florida since October 09, and I really wish someone would take us seriously. We are applying for jobs that we are more than qualified for, some are pay cuts, and keep getting told we need to be local. How am I supposed to move without health insurance lined up for our child??

If our house sells soon, that may be what I end up doing, moving without jobs and hoping our savings holds up until someone takes us seriously... I really want to end up in Brevard County.
Here's a map that uses some key indicators (unemployment, foreclosures, etc.) by state by county. It is from February 10'. I think you could use this to decide which county in Florida you want to move to.

Associated Press Interactive: AP Economic Stress Index

Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Here's a map that uses some key indicators (unemployment, foreclosures, etc.) by state by county. It is from February 10'. I think you could use this to decide which county in Florida you want to move to.

Associated Press Interactive: AP Economic Stress Index
Cool map. Thanks

OP, I would move to areas close to large metropolitan areas for more job opportunities. Maybe closer to WPB or further north close to Jacksonville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
This winter spent month plus traveling around FL in RV. It seemed no matter where we went there were a high amount of closed business, malls, vacant buildings, etc. FL unemployment rate is 12%, so you might want to get a job first before you move.
I agree that seems to be the case for most Florida small cities and towns. Some places look like ghost towns, beautiful palm trees but all empty businesses & parking lots.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,143,530 times
Was let go at the beginning of the month from my job of 5 years. Pretty certain that my replacement took a lower wage than I was paid. I've got a BA & all the bells & whistles. From what I've heard, in this type of situation, less is more on the resume, if you catch my drift....

It's not pretty here re: job situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida