Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 AM

3 posts, read 6,394 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, Me and my partner are both in our 20s we have 2 children aged 2 and 9 months. We are thinking of moving to Florida and are a little unsure on the areas? I have done some research but would also like some opinions from those who know a little more.

As i say we have young children so we would like to live in an area which is safe, close to good schools, preferably the beach and with lots to do (parks, nice walks etc). Would like to be close to local amenities also.

I have been looking at Palm Beach which i know is expensive, and also had a look at Tampa Bay.

I am not very clued up on the areas and would like some advice. We dont want anywhere too expensive to rent a house or to live, but equally want to live somewhere that would be perfect for us as a family.

Welcome all ideas, thanks so much!
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
You've certainly found the right forum just read read read the previous posts and you will get an idea as to where to live, Florida is around the same size as England and Scotland so your question is akin to some one asking wheres a good place to live in Britain, .
I've lived on and off in the St Petersburg area for many years,there are some nice areas there that would fit your criteria especially out on the beaches area such as St Pete Beach, Madeira Beach,Indian Rocks Beach,Redington Shores to name a few.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopiggott View Post
As i say we have young children so we would like to live in an area which is safe, close to good schools, preferably the beach and with lots to do (parks, nice walks etc). Would like to be close to local amenities also.
You can find that kind of area in pretty much any part of the state iwth a little big of hunting. Do you want a big, mid-sized, or small town area? Any preference in terms of Hispanic, European ex-pat, Old Southern or Midwestern or New York transplants neighbors? (Though there really is a mix throughout the state of those days, you tend to find more or less of people in those groups in different spots) How cold are you willing for your winters to be? How much do hurricanes freak you out? Do you need to be close to an airport with direct flights back to the UK, of are you cool with changing planes in Atlanta for an international connector?

And then there's the classic 'jobs, jobs, jobs' question. If you need one, what's your skill set?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,394 times
Thanks for the responses, well my partner is a carpenter by trade so i hope that is a good thing? I dont really mind the size of the town, however would not like anything too built up. And as for neighbours i dont mind either as long as the location is right you know, would be nice to have some families the same as us around so we could meet some people.
I would like to be close to an airport with direct flights for family that may come to stay and for getting back to the UK if need be. Hurricanes dont really freak me out although i may feel differently being in the situation and i am not to keen on the very cold weather the more sun the better for us, coming from Uk where its cold pretty much ALL the time it would be a welcome change

Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopiggott View Post
Thanks for the responses, well my partner is a carpenter by trade so i hope that is a good thing? I dont really mind the size of the town, however would not like anything too built up. And as for neighbours i dont mind either as long as the location is right you know, would be nice to have some families the same as us around so we could meet some people.
I would like to be close to an airport with direct flights for family that may come to stay and for getting back to the UK if need be. Hurricanes dont really freak me out although i may feel differently being in the situation and i am not to keen on the very cold weather the more sun the better for us, coming from Uk where its cold pretty much ALL the time it would be a welcome change
You may like Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens, which suburbs of West Palm Beach. It's safe, good schools, close to the water, beautiful beaches, clean, etc. It's close to Palm Beach International and Ft. Lauderdale International for flights.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Carpentry isn't the best field to be in right now down here. Lots of people still chasing relatively few jobs in the wake of the crash of the housing market, and there are a ton of regulations and licensing rules if he wants to go into business for himself.

I'm never going to say anything is impossible, but that's a difficult career here right now.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
The other thing you should look into before you do too much research is work visas. They aren't that easy to get. The best chance is if you have a skill an employer has not been able to fill with local candidates. Not likely carpentry would fit in that scenario. I'm not trying to dissuade you just want to make sure you've considered this aspect of your move.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Florida is VERY DIVERSE in regions like the UK. People from London couldn't imagine living in the provincial areas (except for holiday weekends) and vice-versa. North vs. South customs, etc.

In order to give you better guidance, it would be helpful to post what TYPE of lifestyle in the UK you are looking to replicate in Florida, i.e. urban, rural, middle-sized hamlet, etc. What are your interests, hobbies and class? How do you, or would you like to, spend much of your leisure time (before/after diapers)? Are you used to reliable public transport -- or will both of you be comfortable driving about as your primary means of transport? Are you "green" or a hipster, etc.? Do you have specific spiritual, cultural, professional, educational or medical needs?

Aside from the normal culture shock, you'll be asking for possible pain if you don't get this right!

Also, what's your comfort level in adapting to a new country/culture/foreigners? Do you wish to be close to other expats from UK nearby? What about foods -- will you still need EASY access to foods you're accustomed to in the UK -- or can you easily adapt to the American fare? Do you need to be located near an airport w/ direct flights back to the UK? Do you desire to explore the rest of the Americas? Are connecting flights or a lengthy drive to an airport satisfactory?

And FORGET about finding ANY Devonshire Cream, saveloys, bangers, Scotch eggs, Pimm's cup, dry cider or a shandy! (If you drink beer, I hope you ENJOY gnat ****! ) Although it's not that hopeless, you just need to know how to get about!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 05-08-2010 at 03:51 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 04:10 AM

164 posts, read 460,691 times
Hi there Jopiggott Snap!...we are moving too We lived in Florida before in 1994/95 in West Palm Beach so know that whole area pretty well. Its lovely, very picture-esque, but hotter than central and northern Florida and more expensive. We are opting for the Gulf Coast this time around and have just returned from a vacation in Sarasota which was absolutely beautiful. We spent a day with a realtor there and have done a ton of research into the schools etc, coz this time around we are relocating with our 2 daughters aged 14 and 10, so we need to get this right
I have a job with a therapy company...visa's are a nightmare to be honest and it is really hard to get entry into the USA to live and work..but quite right to be honest..I wish the UK would take a leaf out of the USA book as far as immigration is concerned!
We are going to have to relocate on an H1B visa ie only myself working, with my husband and my girls being on H4 visa's, but the company I am going over with are going to file for eB2 permanent residency green cards immediately, which will hopefully come through in 6 to 12 months, thus enabling my husband to then work.
I have literally spent months doing hours upon hours of research!! Let me know if I can help anymore...willing to share what Ive learned

Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM

71 posts, read 213,857 times
Boca Raton, Jupiter, and Palm Beach Gardens fit your criteria.

Out of Palm Beach... maybe Coco Beach? Although I can't comment too much on the schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida