Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Oh the big one, I think most types of seafood are overrated...I like a well-seasoned fillet of fish and maybe lobster with butter, but that's where my love affair with seafood ends. I've tried mussels, oyster, squid etc (small pieces though lol) and honestly don't see what the fuss about. It's like eating snails or something! They're either tasteless or too fishy, and the texture is too rubbery or slimey. I do like Clam Chowder though, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Overrated: Pork Belly. It seems to be so trendy here, with many restaurants serving it and many people raving about it, I've had it three times now .... hate it. Too fatty, not enough meat, and there's far more useful cuts of pork on the pig that I'd rather eat - ribs, bacon, tenderloin, chops, prosciutto, etc. I made a pork roast the other night that was fantastic, all lean, not dry at all. Was great as leftovers, cold, the next day.

Also overrated: Barramundi (a fish that's big here but I think it's talked up too much, as is the price). Meat pies (commercial ones).

Underrated: Pork, lamb, braised cabbage, rice pudding, fresh sardines, beans (but not baked beans in a can).

Old 08-20-2011, 08:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Overrated: Pork Belly. It seems to be so trendy here, with many restaurants serving it and many people raving about it, I've had it three times now .... hate it. Too fatty, not enough meat, and there's far more useful cuts of pork on the pig that I'd rather eat - ribs, bacon, tenderloin, chops, prosciutto, etc. I made a pork roast the other night that was fantastic, all lean, not dry at all. Was great as leftovers, cold, the next day.

Also overrated: Barramundi (a fish that's big here but I think it's talked up too much, as is the price). Meat pies (commercial ones).

Underrated: Pork, lamb, braised cabbage, rice pudding, fresh sardines, beans (but not baked beans in a can).
I bought a pack of frozen Four'n'Twenty Pies and I'll tell you that's the first and last time I'll be buying their frozen pies! I find Four'n'Twenty particularly nasty. I grew up on Mrs Mac's so their taste represents familiarity for me (remember school canteens?) and I still have one now and then. Not as good as some of the better pies you get at bakeries, but not as awful as Four'n'Twenty and some of the others you get. Yes, I know the mince is full of different cowparts, but I try not to think about that when enjoying a pie. Come to think of it, I haven't even eaten a meat pie in six months or so and weirdly enough don't miss em all that much. I did have a nice Guiness steak pie at a restaurant which was great.

I used to not like pork at all apart from bacon but now I love pork chops...southern style barbecue pork is also to die for. Sardines are great, especially crumbed and lightly fried...I don't think lamb is overrated at all, it seems to be getting more popular.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Overrated:

-Definitely lobster...not because there's anything wrong with it, but because the price point is dumb for something that contains so little meat and is such a pain in the butt to prepare/eat.

-Prime rib...fat to meat ratio does not side in its favor.

-Lasagna... way better/more interesting pasta options out there.

-Salads involving iceberg lettuce...just tastes like water with a faint hint of grass. Any number of salad greens out there are more flavorful.

Underrated...

-root vegetables, especially beets, turnips, parsnips. Of people who like beets, most only like pickled beets...which are fine, but I prefer them sliced, cooked, salted, and served up hot.

-polenta as a base for Italian dishes - cheap, easy, and provides a welcome non-pasta change in texture.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Overrated: sushi. Everyone, and I mean everyone, really makes a big deal about going "out for sushi". Raw fish, seaweed, and cucumbers? Yuck, and never filling to me.

Generic Italian food-it seems to all be essentially the same.

Underrated: German, Polish, Cuban food, red cabbage, root vegetables, simple potatoes.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Overrated: Tabasco sauce
Underrated: other Louisiana style hot sauces

Nothing against Tabasco, it is great stuff. But there are competitors that sit next to it on the shelf costing much less because they don't have the iconic brand name, but are also very good hot sauces.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Excellent point. Bc it is generic, not real Italian cuisine.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Amen.

I caramelize onions in Olive Oil, steam Green Beans until tender, then throw the Green Beans in the pan and cook till slightly crispy. They are addictive.
I took a survey among my 8 grown up kids. I asked them, "If I could get only one kind of vegetable, what do you think it would be?" It was unanimous. Eight votes of, onions of course dad, you put them into everything.
I love onions and I'm so happy that we are now getting the best onions ever from the US south. Vadalia onions from Georgia are so awesome. I eat a couple of them evry day. WE are now getting these sweet onions from Texas and so far they are just as good. I find the Florida ones a little hotter.
Just plain cooking onions I use about 5 to 10 pounds of them a week.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Overrated: sushi. Everyone, and I mean everyone, really makes a big deal about going "out for sushi". Raw fish, seaweed, and cucumbers? Yuck, and never filling to me.

Underrated: German, Polish, Cuban food, red cabbage, root vegetables, simple potatoes.
Oh, root vegetables. All of them boiled, then butter added cooking and draining. I just started getting into that. Parsnips, turnips, salsify (oyster plant) when it can be found.

I have to take a bit of exception with the generic Italian - it's not at all highly thought of by gourmet types and chefs because it's so simple, and yes repetitive - but doesn't it taste great? That's why it's taken the world by storm. Practically everyone likes pizza, mostly including the traditional tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, and if you're having a lot of guests over spaghetti with tomato sauce is most likely to please everyone. Although some people just don't like tomatoes or acidic foods in general.

So like some other generic fast foods such as fried chicken, a great burger, or subs, Italian American TASTES great - even better than real Italian for the most part, but it's underrated in the culinary world because of simplicity and ubiquity.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Overrated - hot dogs, pizza, spaghetti red. I love a hot dog at the ball park or at a picnic. I will definitely have a slice in NY or Chicago. I've just got to have a cheese steak or roast pork sandwich when I'm in Philly. Sadly, I've never eaten a great plate of spaghetti (red) in a restaurant in my life.

Under rated - offal/organ meats, unpopular vegetables like parsnips, rutabaga, fruits such as persimmon and quince. Spam. After having served in WWII, my father wouldn't allow Spam in the house.

I once tried to buy Durian at the Asian market but my husband refused to let it go through the checkout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink