Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times

Advertisements

Made pesto from the garden last night with pasta. That's always a hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 AM

50,377 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I love to make pasta with roasted vegetables. Pile a bunch of cubed zucchini, mushrooms, a few chopped tomatoes, an onion, bunch of chopped italian parsley, and whatever you like on a baking sheet with about 5T of olive oil and roast them at 425 for about 40 mins (toss them every 15 min). The vegetables cook way down, so really pile a lot on a sheetpan. When the veggies are nicely golden and tender and there's still moisture in the pan, dump them over a pound of rigatoni and sprinkle with parmesan.
I am also a big fan of eggplant parmesan, and I make it without frying, so it's a little more low cal.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Ohh I make a penne with cannellini beans, garlic, tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese too. It's delicious.

Sometimes I just make two big side dishes of veggies for myself and forgo the meat. Usually a side of spinach sauteed with shallots and roasted pinenuts and a pile of spaghetti squash with butter. More filling than you'd imagine.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
My most common meatless dinner is what I made last night: a sharp cheddar and onion frittata served smothered in Herdez chunky salsa. That's it, no bread, no nuttin.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Corn on the cob for din-din. Boil up about 6 ears, slather it up with butter and chow yourself into a slobberin' mess. It's a beautiful thing!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Frequently:

Eggs -- quiche, omelet, etc.
Three-bean chili
If you consider fish to be meatless (I don't), then ... fish.

Less often (because of the high-carb factor):

Linguine with lentils. Otherwise known as LOL -- lentils on linguine.
Cheese ravioli
Potato and cheese pierogi
Grilled cheese sandwich
PB&J

Fruit and/or a salad.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,136 times
One of my all time favs - polenta pie from Mollie Katzen

Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM

809 posts, read 3,570,185 times
Pasta w/ marinara sauce
Eggplant Parm
Breakfast Tacos w/ egg, potato, cheese, salsa, and avocado when I have it
Veggie stir fry
Veggie low mein (similar to my stir fry, but I use whole wheat pasta instead of rice and use lots of bean sprouts)
Veggie savory pie
Baked potato w/ various toppings
Linguine w/ olive oil, garlic, broccoli, red pepper flakes
Stuffed green peppers (stuffed with a mixture of brown rice, onions, tomato sauce, topped with cheese)
Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Vegetarian Chili (slow cooker)
Grilled cheese with tomato soup

Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
well for lunch I am having a healthy choice Asian Potsticker micro meal and they also have a good pumpkin squash ravioli. both meatless

I enjoy multi bean chili, rice and beans all kinds GOYA Pink Beans with Sofrito (some store bought sauces have ham in them)

I make hamburger helper with Boca Crumbles

Burrito Bake
Buy a bag of frozen cheese and bean burritos or chimi's then I mix a can of enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese soup pour some into bottom of 9x12 baker just enough to cover.
Arrange burritos/chimis and top with rest of sauce -I try to cover the tops of all of them so they don't dry out too much. Bake for about 40 mins til heated thru if still frozen and top with cheese and bake til cheese melted. Feel free to add olives or other veggies.

Serve with sour cream and guac if i have it! Reheats very well for lunches thru the week.

I am happy eating side dishes with fruit. I can make pieorgies into a meal. Hummus and pita chips/olives/bell peppers. I like to do the tapas sort of thing. Little bit of this and that.

Unfortunately Hubby is a big meat and potato kind of guy and won't eat most veggies. The only meatless thing I can get him to do is pasta with tomato sauce or the hamburger helper with boca crumbles.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Tonight: Black beans cooked with diced Spanish onions, served with two types of hot salsa. Maybe some corn tortillas if I feel like it.

I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination, I simply don't see a need for meat at every meal. It's certainly cheaper this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink