Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times

Advertisements

I don't believe there was ANY food that was forbidden to me as a child, but we also lived where most our food came from our own or surrounding farms. We certainly had candy and "soft drink" but it was home made.

Store bought cookies, soda and candy was considered a real "treat" and I certainly didn't see much of it growing up. Mind you, when I was a kid (yeah I know, I'm OLD) a so called "family size soda" bottle only contained 4 glasses worth, and a family sized block of chocolate was MAYBE 12 squares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 01:31 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,633 times
My mum made pretty much everything from scratch - apparently when I was little I considered having processed white sliced bread at a friend's house a "treat"!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were allowed chocolate, occasionally, but never ate sugary sweets - my Dad was convinced that sucking sugary sweets for ages was the WORST thing for your teeth - I'm sure he was right too.

We never had any kind of sodas and even as a kid I always preferred water to any soft drink - and I still hate carbonated drinks!

We were allowed ice cream sometimes - but I only ever remember having it in the summer - and always if we were out for the day, never at home!!!!!!!!!

I never remember feeling "deprived" of anything - I never really developed a "sweet tooth" either and am very thankful for that!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
My grandma even made our icecream from scratch LOL - never tasted better yet either.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,898,432 times
Soda pop, Kool-Aid, iced tea.

I was a lucky kid and didn't know it. My mother served me milk at all meals til I was 18 years old. Sodas were only for birthday parties at other kids' houses. When I first moved out of the house I went on a soda pop and Kool-Aid binge.

Today, I drink root beer only in my root beer floats, probably once a month. No more Kool-Aid or any other sodas or sugary drinks. I don't put sugar in my coffee or my iced tea. Once in awhile in the winter I have a hot chocolate.

I've learned I'd rather eat my sugar than drink it.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,722 times
There really wasn't anything forbidden as I grew up. With my daughter I try to teach her moderation when it comes to food. We talk about sometimes foods and anytime foods. I'll let her have a healthy snack if she needs one. Or if she wants a candy, I'll ask her about the healthy foods she's eaten and think if it ok to have a sometimes food.

I think it is working, especially when she asks for a snack and says that she wants a peach instead of candy.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,481 times
I was rarely allowed to drink/eat coke (soda), Kool-Aid, candy bars, ice cream, cookies, white bread.

Dessert was usually fruit for me.... and it still is today.

I have never developed a sweet tooth! I drink a soda maybe once every 2 months. I feel bad after drinking it too.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
When I was growing up (late 50s through 60s), we kids were not allowed to eat any junk food or pop unless we were having a party/picnic/gathering of some sort. When we did have stuff like that, it was a real treat!

The first time I ever had a fast-food hamburger was when I was in college. (I'm sure I was the only kid in my high school who wasn't addicted to Micky D's and BK!) Having been raised on good, home-cooked food, I've never been impressed with, nor developed a taste for, most fast food.

Dessert was also a special treat in our home; not an everyday thing.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
In general, when parents start to ban an item, it is generally the FIRST thing that the kids want to try.

For example, being from a German family, we always had a case two or three cases of beer in the house for my parents and their guests. Occasionally, even even when we were small, we had a sip from my parents' beer. No big fuss was ever made. My parents did NOT tolerate drunkenness even to the point that if a friend got tipsy, they were generally not invited back.

When I got to high school and college, drinking was no big deal. In general, I rarely drank in college and only occasionally drink today.

Of the handful of friends who have had drinking problems, nearly all of them come from families where drinking was verboten

We always had white bread around the house. But why in heaven's sake would you choose it when we had up to six different varieties of German rye breads in the house?

Why would you eat store bought cookies (except Oreos) when you have the real thing at your disposal when your mother is a heck of a baker and makes the real thing?

The reason MOST kids eat so much junk is that 1) that is all they ever get from their parents and 2) they have no good food to gauge it against.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:45 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,675 times
Real butter and we could only have skim milk. My step-father died of a heart attack, so we couldn't have any good stuff in the house. We also only ate boxed macaroni and cheese and hamburger helper. Suprisingly I didn't grow up with food issues, but I can't stand that crap now and I only use real butter and drink 2% milk

Old 07-24-2010, 09:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
My parents would not let me eat red M&Ms or anything with cranberries in it.

That was in the late 50s when foods-that-cause-cancer was the parental by-word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink