Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:53 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,027,436 times

Advertisements

The foods pretty much limited to Thanksgiving at our house include:
Turkey
Cornbread dressing
Giblet gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberry Sauce
Mother-In-Law's famous jello salad with avocado, grapes, and pecans.

In addition we serve Mashed Potatoes, dinner rolls, Pies like Pumpkin and Mince Meat (which I like), sometimes pecan or apple. I have to watch my sweets and starch being a type 2 diabetic and now my wife has to watch her salt intake. So this will certainly be a different Thanksgiving for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 11:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't eat breakfast biscuits.

Breakfast is normally something lame and healthy like fruit and oatmeal or occasionally unhealthy like bacon, toast, and hash brown.
Biscuits and gravy are a necessity in a BIG breakfast. However, prior to Covid, I had only had it in restaurants. After making it a few times at home I had an inspiration: plop a few poached eggs with just the tiniest tickle of cayenne on top. I can't claim that I only have it on Thanksgiving, however, but whenever I need some yummy comfort food to start the day..

Old 11-11-2021, 01:26 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
My daughter started a holiday tradition that we call a heart attack casserole. It's so deliciously bad that we only indulge on the major holidays. Potatoes, onions, bacon, cheese, and mayo, OMG, I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We will do a turkey breast other times, also mashed potatoes and other Thanksgiving favorites. About the only thing we eat only on Thanksgiving is what we call "red stuff." It's made with canned cranberries, frozen strawberries, and pineapple bits.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:21 AM

765 posts, read 622,132 times
We have several in my family. We don't generally have turkey on other days, plus creamed onions, cranberry jelly, and stuffing.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:27 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
cranberry sauce. The rest we do have atg other times during the year.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:13 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Only for Thanksgiving? Pumpkin pie and bread stuffing for the turkey.

My mother used to make a home made cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries. I don't like cranberry sauce, so I have no idea where the recipe went. It seemed like a lot of work and involved a hand cranked food grinder.

I always hated yams until I discovered that it was the marshmallow candy topping I hated. I like a plain baked yam with just butter, but I make those several times a year, and actually never for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My daughter started a holiday tradition that we call a heart attack casserole. It's so deliciously bad that we only indulge on the major holidays. Potatoes, onions, bacon, cheese, and mayo, OMG, I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it.

Would love to have that recipe. I love artery clogging potato dishes.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:19 PM

My Aunt Pearl has a baked onion recipe that I will make if there is an enormous crowd coming. I love it but small groups of people won't finish it off.

Fill a crock pot with sliced onions. Use yellow, white, or Walla Walla onions. Drop on an entire cube of real butter, put on a couple of twists of black pepper. Turn on the crock pot and cook for hours.

So delicious. Also wonderful with the prime rib at Christmas, but darn, it makes an awful lot of onions and the recipe doesn't work well if you cut the recipe down.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:26 PM

I just thought of something else. Not Thanksgiving specific, but that time of year is when the persimmons get ripe and my father specialized in steamed persimmon pudding and he made these delicious persimmon cookies. They are "fall" foods, so we had them around Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink