Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times

Advertisements

I typically shop at Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Health Stores. I was out doing some errands and realized I wanted to make a grilled cheese and was out of bread (and cheddar).

I thought, well I am right next to Safeway so I can pick up my two items.

I went over to the cheese aisle, looked for cheddar marked "made from milk without RSBT." Nothing fit the bill so I looked for something w/ minimal ingredients.

Then I went to the bread aisle to find something with a decent amount of fiber per slice, minimal ingredients, no preservatives and no high fructose corn syrup. It was like I was hinting for a unicorn. All bread either had
1. HFCS
2. partially hydrogenated oils
3. no fiber
4. preservatives
5. artificial flavor

All Orowheat has HFCS, Safeway brand products have a load of hazards and most stuff had no fiber. I debated just getting some basic white or butter milk bread, but all had HFCS.

Eventually I settled for a faux-natural brand w/ no preservatives, no HFCS and soy for unknown reasons (maybe fiber).

How do you manage shopping at mainstream groceries (if you do) to buy staples if you are looking for minimally processed food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,292,973 times
It is hard, and takes a lots of time when you shop for a new product, but after you find the one you like, you just buy it all the time. The bad about is, to look for a substitute when you find out that your beloved product has been discontinued...

Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,734,809 times
You are wrong about Oroweat. It clear states on all its bread packages NO HFCS. This is in bold red letters on the front of the package not buried in the the nutrition info. Also Safeway carries no RSBT cheese

Tillamook no rSBT/rGBH BIG RED BADGE-"No artificial growth hormones"
Lucerne and Horizon are also rSBT free.
All three of the above dairy products are sold at Safeway.

I surprised you didn't at least see the Tillamook one of the largest National Brands of cheese in the country.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
My local chains carry all kinds of locally produced, minimally processed whole foods, including glass-bottled milk (you have to do a deposit and return the bottle, old-school style) from a local, family-run dairy that uses no growth hormones. It's more expensive than the store brands and national brands, but it's offered. They also carry locally-baked artisan bread (again, also more costly than a house-brand sandwich loaf). I find that chain grocers are more than happy to jump on the organic/locally produced/whatever bandwagon, because it is trendy, and it sells. Especially in the area where I am located, which isn't exactly rife with specialty grocers.

Another way to avoid preservatives, chemicals, et al is to cook from scratch, something I also do.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
For some one who is so conscious of ingredients why would a grilled cheese sandwich even be an option? Isnt a grilled cheese fried in some kind of fat or grease and doesnt the charring of the bread create carcinogenic properties? and most cheeses that have any flavor at all are a minimum of 20% fat,

Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,498,251 times
An interesting phenomenon is occurring in the mainstream stores. Because of the lawsuits over contaminated food and the recalls and the scares, Kroger, Biggs, Safeway etc. are all requiring supplier agreements that are truly oppressive. They require the food supplier to indemnify the chain for their legal fees even if a claim is pure BS (which they mostly are). And pay damages for recalls and personal injuries, etc.

Most organic, home grown, specialty food goes through distributors and then on to Krogers, etc. These middlemen do not want to take responsibility for the goods with Krogers, etc. because they know the small organic and specialty farmers have no ability to repay a substantial damage claim. Therefore, they don't handle those goods to Kroger, etc. solely due to the vendor agreements.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,730,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I typically shop at Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Health Stores. I was out doing some errands and realized I wanted to make a grilled cheese and was out of bread (and cheddar).

I thought, well I am right next to Safeway so I can pick up my two items.

I went over to the cheese aisle, looked for cheddar marked "made from milk without RSBT." Nothing fit the bill so I looked for something w/ minimal ingredients.

Then I went to the bread aisle to find something with a decent amount of fiber per slice, minimal ingredients, no preservatives and no high fructose corn syrup. It was like I was hinting for a unicorn. All bread either had
1. HFCS
2. partially hydrogenated oils
3. no fiber
4. preservatives
5. artificial flavor

All Orowheat has HFCS, Safeway brand products have a load of hazards and most stuff had no fiber. I debated just getting some basic white or butter milk bread, but all had HFCS.

Eventually I settled for a faux-natural brand w/ no preservatives, no HFCS and soy for unknown reasons (maybe fiber).

How do you manage shopping at mainstream groceries (if you do) to buy staples if you are looking for minimally processed food?
I buy most of our bread from a local bakery, but I've bought Oroweat in the past.

Oroweat - Products (http://www.oroweat.com/Products/Default.aspx - broken link)

I buy whole grain breads--these are without HCFS or partially hydrogenated anything, so I'm not sure what you were looking at.

As for cheese, Safeway's internal brand for dairy is Lucerne, which does not contain rBGH or rBST.

CONSUMERS' GUIDE to rBGH (rBST) -FREE wbr DAIRY PRODUCTS

Why do I think you just made up this story?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,734,809 times
I think the OP was confused and thought they were posting in the Green Forum. Too many man made toxins will do that to a person. Opps time for my rSBT shot. MMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Thank goodness I'm not that picky, but I am kind of a a fiber Nazi..I am always amazed that a company can make a 12 grain bread with less than 1 gram of fiber. How is this even possible?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some one who is so conscious of ingredients why would a grilled cheese sandwich even be an option? Isnt a grilled cheese fried in some kind of fat or grease and doesnt the charring of the bread create carcinogenic properties? and most cheeses that have any flavor at all are a minimum of 20% fat,
Carcinogens are on charred meat (protein compounds). Veggies and bread are exempted from this phenomenon.

I am mostly concerned with minimally processed foods and preferably something local. That has nothing to do with fat content. Some cheese is allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink