Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,020,734 times

Advertisements

Some folks I know that have a sweet tooth (though not myself as I seem to crave sweets less than the average person) are now going for products with artificial sweeteners as substitute, with zero sugar and believe them to be healthier than the high-sugar desserts they ate previously.

I've heard that artificial sweeteners are not very good but that the side effects from medical studies are inconclusive. Are they really a good alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
I would think that natural extracts like date sugar, agave nectar, xylitol and stevia are great natural substitutes, so there is no need to reach for artificial sweeteners. They are never a healthy alternative.

Products listed below you can buy in health food shops and online.

* Date syrup or date sugar (not sugar at all) is made from dates, so it contains all the vitamins, minerals and fiber of the fruit. It can be used in equal parts as direct substitute for sugar, especially in baking. It is metabolized slowly so it does not cause energy highs and lows.

* Agave nectar is a natural juice extracted from agave, the same plant that's processed into tequila. Agave nectar does not cause dramatic blood sugar fluctuations so energy levels remain more consistent. It is 42 percent sweeter than white sugar, so less is needed in recipes.

* Xylitol is a widely approved sweetener for people with diabetes and sugar intolerance. It is extracted from natural sources such as fruits and vegetables. Xylitol is a great tasting bulk sweetener with 40% less calories than sugar. The best part is that it is actually known to reduce the incidence of tooth decay and offer protection against cavities.

* Stevia is a South American herb that has been used as a sweetener by the Guarani Indians of Paraguay for hundreds of years. It has a delicious and refreshing taste that can be 30 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia is calorie-free and doesn't upset blood sugar levels. In fact, it can actually assist in regulating blood-sugar levels.

You can read more about healthy choices here:
Healthy Sugar Alternatives with their Glycemic Index

Last edited by elnina; 12-20-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,428,455 times
How about Splenda? I like to use that all the time even for baking some things.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,635 times
I avoid artificial sweeteners wherever possible. The fact that some are banned in some countries speaks volumes to me.

For me eating the real thing forces you to pay more attention to how much of it you're eating. Thats one thing I hated about Weight Watchers - they were all about finding ways for you to eat the same amounts of the same foods that got you overweight to start with, just now filled with chemicals instead of calories. There isn't much of a lesson in that.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,410,416 times
If I want sugar ~~ I use sugar. No artificial sweetners for me thanks.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Personally I try to use bee puke whenever possible.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Splenda is the commercial name of a sucralose-based artificial sweetener derived from sugar.
After twenty years of NutraSweet® (aspartame) dominating the sweetener market, people are realizing for themselves that aspartame really is a foul food chemical tragically harmful to their health. Now, people think Johnson & Johnson’s Splenda, made from sucralose, has come to the rescue as the newest chemical sugar replacement “made from real sugar.” People don’t want to hear that it may be just as dangerous as aspartame, and this white knight of sweeteners is no better improvement. New chemical sweeteners (like Splenda) and the sweetener blends (aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame K blended together in one product) may be causing users to show signs of weight gain, disruption of sleep patterns, sexual dysfunction, increases in cancer, MS, Lupus, diabetes, and a list of epidemic degenerative diseases. The corporations continue to stand tough in their denial of any connection to chemical sweetener additives.
Splenda (Sucralose) Toxicity Exposed

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,493,826 times
What is the problem with sugar again? Is this just a calorie thing or is sugar really harmful to adults?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
I think the problem is in the amount of sugar. Especially the added sweeteners. I know i have been trying to cut down, but I don't really have many places left. I do not drink much soda or juice. (1-2X per month). Coffee and sugar intake is all over the place, since it depends on the coffee and milk ratio.

But sugar is added to so many processed foods, it is pretty hard to control the amount if you eat out or have processed food.

At home I use sugar, honey, agave and occasionally stevia in beverages. The artificial sweeteners have an aftertaste to me, so I only use them out of desperation to sweeten iced tea when i am out.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,549,510 times
Artificial sweeteners are worse.

Artificial foods add to our toxic load and our bodies are not designed to consume them. If sugar consumption became an issue for me, i.e., diabetes, I'd rather go without any sweeteners at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink