Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 5,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
If you bought a ready meal here that contained Chinese rice would the meal be labelled 'made in the USA' or would it identify that the rice was from China.... ?? just a thought. I would also guess restaurants are more concerned about their profit margin.....
I can't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,915,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancytopteam View Post
I can't agree more.
Sadly U.S. labeling requirements leaves it's citizens to fend for themselves! Takes a lot of research to get to the bottom of these questions.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,556,365 times
Thought i would post it here instead of making a new thread. Pretty gross story. Click on the link to read more.

China said it had arrested 32 people over the sale of cooking oil made from leftovers taken from gutters, in the latest food safety scandal to hit the country..........

China arrests 32 over 'gutter' cooking oil scam - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/china-arrests-32-over-gutter-cooking-oil-scam-060129702.html - broken link)

Police in China seize 100 tons of 'gutter oil' - Yahoo! News

Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,577,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Going back to your original question:

If the rice was processed in a facility that also processed foods that were not kosher; if the rice company was owned by a Jew and the rice was processed on Shabbat (Sabbath), are two things that come to mind.
Remind me - if the processing was removing hulls, and not cooking, that would still be mehalel shabbos, right?

I would note - whether to require a hecksher or not is still a judgement call. Without a hecksher I dont have rabbinic assurance that there is no Jew in the ownership, BUT if I know much about say the Chinese or Thai rice industry, I can make a pretty reasonable assumption. Ditto knowing about the kinds of processing that takes place and what other foods would be in the factory. It all depends on how many fences you want around the law. I think plain rice is a pretty safe bet for using "ingredient" kosher vs Hecksher kosher - far more so that all those highly processed foods with a couple of dozen ingredients.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:58 AM

52,700 posts, read 34,636,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Thought i would post it here instead of making a new thread. Pretty gross story. Click on the link to read more.

China said it had arrested 32 people over the sale of cooking oil made from leftovers taken from gutters, in the latest food safety scandal to hit the country..........

China arrests 32 over 'gutter' cooking oil scam - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/china-arrests-32-over-gutter-cooking-oil-scam-060129702.html - broken link)

Police in China seize 100 tons of 'gutter oil' - Yahoo! News
wow..

Quote:
When the cooking oil scandal emerged last year, experts estimated that people in China consumed about two to three million tonnes of illegal oil every year.
what's puzzling is that china doesn't hesitate at all to punish these kind of offenses VERY serverely, including the death penalty - yet so many are still undeterred.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,713,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Remind me - if the processing was removing hulls, and not cooking, that would still be mehalel shabbos, right?
That's a question for the O-U, huh?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink