Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM

17 posts, read 17,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Since just about everything today is made in china (inc all ur cellphones, TVs, laptops, etc) then trying to avoid made in china is impossible.

One thing to remember is that "China" is not one big single company, but like everywhere else is made up of thousands of companies, some of whom are very safe and efficient, while others are not as good (just like everywhere else).

The main problem with China right now is that it is growing so fast (and the "get rich quick" mentality is so strong) that the government regulations and their implementations aren't keeping up with the rate of change in the business world. However, it's a given that as time passes the implementation of strict rules should cut down on most (though not all) safety problems. I say "most" because we all know cutting costs and cheating and GREED are potentially inherent in ANY business in any country.

As to rice from china, almost all rice here in the USA are from in-country and exporters from Asia such as Vietnam, Thailand., and India. I have actually yet to see any from China since probably China consumes all the rice it produces (and China is the biggest producer of rice in the world).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Afetr all the food poisonig the same maybe said of Califonia too and other states o food.The US ships alot of rice all over the world. Mnay countries band US beef for simialr reasons to their thinking.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
How you define: not knowingly?
Do you search for the country of origin when you buy your food, or you don't check on that - therefore don't know??
Well, I'm still trying to find out where these different canned tunas are processed. BTW, Our local grocer H.E.B is selling I think it was OJ labeled made in Argentina or China. I wouldn't have a big worry about Citrus juice or even meats from our southern neighbors. But, China listed on the label caused a rapid return to the cooler. Sheesh this is BS! Our gov't must force these importers to label points of origin on all products!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
You (both) are saying that for the last 20 years you didn't buy ANYTHING made in China??? I am sorry - I have hard time to believe it.
I'm not saying that. I avoid buying things made in China. If it says Made in China on the label I don't buy it. If it's some component inside a TV or a computer that I have bought, then I suppose that I have bought some things from China. I have nothing at all against the Chinese people but I dispise the lack of human rights in their country. I hate the fact that the amazing development of the Chinese economy has not helped out the Chinese workers much and will not as long as they depend on export to fuel their economy. They have the biggest domestic market in the world and when they start supplying their own people with all the goods they ship over here then I may consider buying some Chinese products. I like and search out products made in Canada or the USA. If I can't find what I want made here I would buy European or even South American products. I generally don't buy much from Mexico although If I lived in Larado I sure would. There is just awesome fantastic Nexican stuff there and it's like one fifth of the price you would pay in Mexico.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM

61,666 posts, read 87,041,175 times
^^^
ok, let me see that OJ, 64 oz cardboard box: it says... distributed by H.E.B.
No word where it was made.....
However on the seal it has a date and other letters and numbers. I also can see three letters that looks familiar" MEX" so I am assuming that it was made in Mexico. However there is no statement like: Made in Mexico...

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
The #1 exporter of rice is Thailand. Thai rice, especially jasmine rice is quite lovely.

Unfortunately I am on a carb-restricted diet and can eat very little rice.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
^^^
ok, let me see that OJ, 64 oz cardboard box: it says... distributed by H.E.B.
No word where it was made.....
However on the seal it has a date and other letters and numbers. I also can see three letters that looks familiar" MEX" so I am assuming that it was made in Mexico. However there is no statement like: Made in Mexico...
In Canada it's the law that the origin of all products be stated on the label.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 AM

61,666 posts, read 87,041,175 times
well, here it clearly says that: In the United States, the marking statute, Section 304, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1304) requires that, unless excepted, every article of foreign origin (or its container) imported into the U.S. shall be marked with its country of origin.
Unless specifically exempted, Canada, Mexico and the United States may require that goods imported from another NAFTA country be marked in a conspicuous place legibly, indelibly, and sufficiently permanently to indicate to the ultimate purchaser the country of origin of the article.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/tra...in_marking.xml
Marking Country of Origin at LAWDOG® Center (http://www.lawdog.com/transport/export/custom23.htm - broken link)
but looks like it is not enforced...

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I hate the fact that the amazing development of the Chinese economy has not helped out the Chinese workers much
They have a rapidly growing middle class, and the workers in those factories that Westerners decry the conditions of are making four times as much money as they would have if they stayed in the village farming.

Quote:
They have the biggest domestic market in the world and when they start supplying their own people with all the goods they ship over here then I may consider buying some Chinese products.
Who do you think makes the clothes on their backs and cell phones in their hand?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I typically buy Riceland rice, which is grown in the U.S. But thanks for the head's up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink