Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Are those imported butters any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,320 times
I personally prefer to make my own butter. It is very easy. It is a little more time consuming because of getting out the buttermilk and washing the butter but it sure is good. I put a pint or so of cream in my food processor and turn it on. It will first turn to whipped cream. Just let it continue to run. After a few minutes you will notice that the sound changes and you will see the buttermilk separating from the butter solids. You can put it in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and press out the buttermilk but I just use a bowl and the back of a spoon and mash it on itself to press it out(I put the buttermilk in a cup as I go). Or you can use butter muslin and squeeze out the buttermilk. Then I add cold water and wash the butter by pressing the butter into the water. After it is cleaned and the water pressed out mix in a little salt if desired. It sounds like a lot of work but really it isn't. You wash the butter because the buttermilk can cause the butter to sour and mold. If I am going to use it quickly I don't bother to wash it. After removing most of the buttermilk you can also just clarify it and strain of the solids. Also the buttermilk is not the sour, thick, cultured kind you get in the store. I like to drink that as soon as I make it.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
Sounds cool Phawk57. I will have to look into making butter some more b/c I try it, but I would like to in the future. It sounds fun, and I bet it is tastier. I had some "real" butter at a European style restaurant before. It was the best I've ever tasted!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
I personally prefer to make my own butter. It is very easy. It is a little more time consuming because of getting out the buttermilk and washing the butter but it sure is good. I put a pint or so of cream in my food processor and turn it on. It will first turn to whipped cream. Just let it continue to run. After a few minutes you will notice that the sound changes and you will see the buttermilk separating from the butter solids. You can put it in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and press out the buttermilk but I just use a bowl and the back of a spoon and mash it on itself to press it out(I put the buttermilk in a cup as I go). Or you can use butter muslin and squeeze out the buttermilk. Then I add cold water and wash the butter by pressing the butter into the water. After it is cleaned and the water pressed out mix in a little salt if desired. It sounds like a lot of work but really it isn't. You wash the butter because the buttermilk can cause the butter to sour and mold. If I am going to use it quickly I don't bother to wash it. After removing most of the buttermilk you can also just clarify it and strain of the solids. Also the buttermilk is not the sour, thick, cultured kind you get in the store. I like to drink that as soon as I make it.
I did that once just to see if I could do it. I didn't think it tasted any better than butter I buy, and it's just too much trouble for me and not cheaper, either. These days I buy my butter at ALDI for $2.39 a pound and it tastes as good as the "fancy" European style I used to pay more than twice that for!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Tillamook. Say no more.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I did that once just to see if I could do it. I didn't think it tasted any better than butter I buy, and it's just too much trouble for me and not cheaper, either.
You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with it. I don't have an aldi's anywhere near here and most of the stores here sell butter for over $4 a pound. I definitely love the sweet cream buttermilk I get as a result and you can't buy that.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with it. I don't have an aldi's anywhere near here and most of the stores here sell butter for over $4 a pound. I definitely love the sweet cream buttermilk I get as a result and you can't buy that.
Homemade butter is to bought butter what store-bought cookies are to homemade cookies. Store bought butter tastes like butter. Butter is butter.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
My only complaint with butter is the price!! Gone up a bunch recently!
True. Are any food prices down?

Quote:
I personally prefer to make my own butter. It as soon as I make it.
Cool! Thanks for letting us know your method. Homemade is better, except when it comes to cars.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
That's fine. I tried it, and not worth my time. I don't blame you for making your own if you can't find it cheaper and like it more. The one I buy is a lot cheaper than me buying cream and spending time to make it. I do make my own bread, however!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Butter retains its ideal spreadability through a very narrow range of temperatures. At 80 it will lose it's shape and get runny, and at 60 it will be too hard to spread. So there might be, as the seasons change, a difference of a few degrees in the temperature of your kitchen, which you did not notice, but your butter did.

I notice the same effect in chocolate bars, which can get too melty or rather hard, with a very slight temperature change. Check and see if you accidentaly bought unsalted butter, which might make a difference.

I use the cheapest generic brand (butter is butter, it's a commodity), and mine always acts the same.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-24-2011 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink