Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,797 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm not a big buffet fan. It reminds me too much of boot camp, everyone lined up with their trays, then scarfing it down just so they can get more. Plus, seeing tables full of dirty dishes and all the commotion.
I don't like to overeat either. It's just punishment for your body... How many calories would that dinner be??
I like a good salad bar though, if it's kept clean.. but then you are touching the tongs everyone has also touched..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I can put some food away. Or I used to, not so sure of that anymore.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
I love buffets as long as people aren't going back for seconds with their "used" plates! I am remembering back in the older days that is what people did. Thank goodness someone came up with the idea of making sure cleans ones were available!
I won't eat at public suppers though!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I used to love buffets, til I realized there was no way I could eat $19.99 worth of bacon and bagels with cream cheese and lox, and cheese/bacon omelets, and not get sick in the process. It's just too much food for me to eat, and if I eat only enough to satisfy my hunger (with a pinch extra to tide me over til lunch), then I'm not getting my money's worth.

So I'd rather order from the menu, single egg with toast and bacon for only $7 instead of $19.99.

The mexican place I like for lunch does buffets 3 days a week, but I always order off the menu instead. They don't serve the specific beans that I get on my menu-ordered plate for the buffet. I could pay around the same price for 3 tacos, rice, no beans, extra pico, extra cheese... or I could get 1 taco, rice, beans, and they usually just give me the extra pico and cheese anyway. I don't really want three tacos. It's too much food for me. And I really like their beans. So I don't mind paying the same for less quantity of food, when I get exactly what I want, with no waste.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I just don't like buffets. The food always seems mediocre and who knows how long it's been sitting there. I much prefer to buy something specific that is freshly prepared for me.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I love breakfast and dinner buffets.
I DO....but I always find I'll eat twice at much to make sure I get my money's worth. I end up feeling all miserable after I'm done.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I'm a total pig, so I think a buffet is hog heaven!

We went to a sushi buffet once. It was like a dream come true.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
I'm not really a fan of buffets because I'm not a very big eater and feel I won't get my money's worth. Plus, it's a little difficult for me to see some of these people being gluttons gorging themselves with repeated trips back, not to mention all the commotion that usually goes on at these places.

However, here in my city there used to be a really good Chinese food buffet that my family and I really liked and it was really popular with the locals. Unfortunately, it started going downhill when it changed ownership. Not long after that, it went out of business.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I enjoy buffets mainly because of the variety. I have to plan carefully so that I can try as many of the different dishes as possible. I tend to try dishes that I have never had before or haven't had in ages. I make it a point not to overeat because it makes the enjoyment of the meal so much less worth it - hate that feeling of being stuffed to the gills.

In the end, I usually find one dish that I favor and may go back for seconds.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Only if I'm traveling with a bunch of kids...like a ball team. DH and I think of them as eating at the trough.
The only buffet I like is the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday.
The thing is, they are NEVER as good as a regularly prepared meal. In my experience, they are always the worst quality a restaurant has to offer.
Then there is always the chance I'll need to witness some couthless people who do things like eat all the crablegs and nothing else, or all the shrimp and nothing else. No thanks.
I have been to two brunch buffets in my life, at Disneyworld Contemporary and a private county club, which were memorable and excellent.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-01-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink