Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times

Advertisements

About 15 years ago I cut a recipe out from a newspaper. Just a couple of days ago I found it again and made the recipe for the first time. It was deeeelish yum mmm hmm yeah. Here it is:

Dwight's Spicy Black Bean Burgers (vegan)
Steve Petusevsky

1 T. olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small scotch bonnet or jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
1 T. minced ginger root
1/2 t. ground allspice
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1 29-oz. can black beans, drained
2 c. cooked short-grain brown or white rice
1 c. unseasoned bread crumbs or rolled oats, plus more as needed
8 scallions, minced
salt to taste
*****peppa sauce, to taste (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add onions, carrots, red peppers, garlic, chili, ginger, allspice and nutmeg and saute 3 to 4 minutes until softened. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade along with beans, rice, 1 c, bread crumbs (oats), scallions, pikapeppa sauce (if using), and salt. Use on/off pulses to combine ingredients; do not chop finely; leave some texture to the mix, adding a bit more bread crumbs if needed. Mixture should be thick enough to scoop with a spoon or ice cream scoop.
Chill an hour or overnight, if you have time. Scoop 1/2 cup to form each patty. In a skillet with a little oil, on medium heat, brown patties, turn and brown the other side. Makes 6 large patties.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
I have years of food buying experience at the wholesale level and what is seen is not always what it purports to be especially with the organic, natural products and locally grown. Be careful, much is not worth the price and will not make you healthier but it wall make you poorer. Some of the movement can make sense and is important but I have seen deceptions and much fraud.

Livecontent

excellent post- I too sold at farmers markets, i saw the the prius and volvo drivers drinking the kool-aid..they want so bad to say "i got these at a farmers market"
so, i started selling some veggies, - to make some extra money,,and guess what happens?? I was selling my veggies at 50% mark-up , and 4 other "farmers" with like items said "we should all have the same prices as to not undercut each other"
coming from a business background, i said thats collussion and price -fixing...they all laughed and said so friggin what "these folks dont look at price, they just feel good buying it"
so, eventually i went along,,100% mark up
and they were right...
im in maine , we have a limited growing season, some of the vendors were selling grocery store produce- marked up thru the roof,,, it said "locally grown" i asked this lady about it,,,and she said it was locally grown if you lived there-also asked her about the grocery store veggies/fruits, she said "im not doing anything whole foods isnt doing"
I went to another "farmers market" 8 miles away and same thing

I like going to the farmstands in front of the farms,,,,but beware,,wash the produce well, most was grown in manure modcut

so yes, beware of labels, and over-priced foods

Last edited by Beretta; 02-23-2014 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: please remember to use quote button/function when quoting other posts to make it easy to read; inappropriate word

Old 02-23-2014, 11:09 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
^Good information.

There is so much deception. Years ago, I was at the wholesale fruit and vegetable market in Denver on business. It has long since been torn down. I saw this guy loading produce from a supplier that were grown in Mexico. Next day, I saw this same guy selling at the Farmers Market in Boulder the same produce and calling it locally grown. The price he was charging was an extreme markup from the wholesale price.

So, Beware. Just because a seller is at these markets does not make it fair and honest.

Livecontent

Old 02-23-2014, 01:18 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
TabulahRasa
In my opinion commissary benefits are overrated. Staples are priced reasonably but you have to factor in a surcharge and better be prepared to tip the bagger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink