Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me more than once. I buy potatoes, either for just boiling, maybe with corned beef and cabbage; or for boiling for potato salad.

They are usually those white potatoes. I usually peel them and cut them maybe in quarters. I try to keep the chunks of equal size, but I often find that some potatoes are done way before the others.

They all look similar when they buy them. I am thinking that they may be in different batches and of different ages and the store just mixes them all up in the bins.

I find this very annoying and would appreciate knowing if others have the same problem and if there is some magic method of avoiding the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I would imagine that we do get mixed batches at various stages of storage and age. I don't find this to be a huge problem though. Except for the big nasty black spots in some. I do despise under done potatoes. Uneven cooking hasn't been a problem I've seen though.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times
I rarely have this problem but I use the yukon potatos only for potato salad and it is always from the 5lb bag, not sure that makes a difference.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 PM

258 posts, read 450,749 times
Have you thought about using red potatoes instead? They are all the same size and taste fantastic mashed or in salad. The skin comes off easily when I quarter and boil them. I find red potatoes are fantastic to use for taste and ease.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Yeah, I use red potatoes, similar size, and boil them with the skin. Make sure you use sufficient amount of water to cover all potatoes while boiling.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This has happened to me more than once. I buy potatoes, either for just boiling, maybe with corned beef and cabbage; or for boiling for potato salad.

They are usually those white potatoes. I usually peel them and cut them maybe in quarters. I try to keep the chunks of equal size, but I often find that some potatoes are done way before the others.

They all look similar when they buy them. I am thinking that they may be in different batches and of different ages and the store just mixes them all up in the bins.

I find this very annoying and would appreciate knowing if others have the same problem and if there is some magic method of avoiding the problem.
A potato is not just a potato. One has to learn which species (kind) of potato is best for the job at hand. I think this is why you're having trouble getting it right when you buy potato's.

Please.......take time time to read this info so that you can enjoy potato's to the full.......

Variety Images & Descriptions

Cook's Thesaurus: Potatoes

Potatoes.com: Washington State Potato Commission

As you can see there are many kinds of potato's with the Russet/Red being the more popular kinds in America.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I rarely have this problem but I use the yukon potatos only for potato salad and it is always from the 5lb bag, not sure that makes a difference.
Maybe the Yukon hold up better in the process. My husband and I are not constant potato eaters and a 5 lb bag spoils before we can finish them. Maybe loose potatoes in the market are older. I never see Yukon sold loose, just white, red, and idaho, and sometimes even that assortment is not available.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try red next time.

I really dislike the pre made potato salad sold in stores.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 AM

200 posts, read 565,341 times
I agree with making sure you are using the right type of potato. I use yukon or red for boiling (to eat boiled, to mash up, and for potato salad), and never had much of a problem with uniformity.

I am not much of a russet fan. I only use those when I am cooking for a large group (more cost efficient).

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
I rarely cook any potatoes but reds; they're my favorites. When I buy them I buy them loose and examine each one. They almost always seem to look as if they're from the same batch. I check for firmness and any defects. Like a previous poster, I don't use enough for bags to last. Some batches of potatoes just taste better than others.

I once had trouble with uneven cooking; so now when I boil potatoes I peel them and slice them the entire width of the potato and about 1/2" thick. This exposes the maximum surface area and the potatoes boil evenly and quickly. It's far easier to cut even slices than even hunks.

Wait until they're soft before you take them out. When you mash them use plenty of butter but not too much milk or sour cream and then whip them with a hand mixer. If you're fixing a lot do them in batches. Chives make a nice addition and don't forget black pepper.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
A potato is not just a potato. One has to learn which species (kind) of potato is best for the job at hand. I think this is why you're having trouble getting it right when you buy potato's.

Please.......take time time to read this info so that you can enjoy potato's to the full.......

Variety Images & Descriptions

Cook's Thesaurus: Potatoes

Potatoes.com: Washington State Potato Commission

As you can see there are many kinds of potato's with the Russet/Red being the more popular kinds in America.
Well said. We eat potatoes almost every day,and I always have at least two different types of potatoes in the house. I've never had a problem with inconsistent cooking. I think my favorite is Yukon gold potatoes, they have a buttery flavor, but it really depends on the potato dish I am making when choosing the type of potato. Try stirring the potatoes occasionally while they are boiling, maybe the ones at the top are not getting as well-cooked as those on the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink