Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's a deceptive headline. Whole grains are good for you. But if your whole grain product has extraneous ingredients like sugars and refined grains, then--not so good for you. But this is not to say that whole grains per se aren't good for you. A ladle of brown rice on the dinner plate isn't "not as healthy as you think". It's fine.

This is quite true. We eat quinoa, old fashioned rolled oats, brown rice and other grains. They are perfectly healthy and part of a balanced diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 03:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is quite true. We eat quinoa, old fashioned rolled oats, brown rice and other grains. They are perfectly healthy and part of a balanced diet.
Yep. Vegetable and grain bowls are a pretty standard meal in this vegetarian household. I've recently rediscovered farro. Last night I made an easy skillet casserole with semi-pearled farro, chickpeas, spinach, garlic, and mushrooms that was absolutely delicious. I don't think there's any question that it was a healthy choice.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:30 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
the multi-grain breaded boneless chicken wing...is a franken-food ?

bread and grains seem to be a food demon...nowadays
I remember my mother avoiding the white bread when she was dieting. many many moons ago ..(cant remember the name of the bread it had colored polka dots on the packaging)
when grain/multi grain came out it was the healthy bread....
or advertised that way..

Old 12-09-2016, 03:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I remember my mother avoiding the white bread when she was dieting. many many moons ago ..(cant remember the name of the bread it had colored polka dots on the packaging)
Wonder Bread.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you know that “Multi Grainâ€, “Whole Grainâ€, “Whole Wheat†have no legal meaning? In some products there is twice as much white flour as whole wheat flour. And some companies even add coloring to give their products that beige whole wheat look, if they don’t contain much whole wheat.
Multigrain does not have to be healthy. It means only that the product contains multiple types of grain, but those could all be refined flour, not whole grains.
The FDA is apparently studying the issue since 1993!
Companies Not Telling the Whole Truth About Whole Grains - ABC News
A Guide to Decoding Ingredients on Grain Products - ABC News
Thanks Elnina. I only eat bread that says that it's 100% whole wheat. I believe whole wheat to be part of a healthy well balanced diet.

It's strange that this thread was submitted almost five years ago and no one replied to it until yesterday.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I did know that labels are misleading. Now, I look for number of carbs, and the amount of protein, fiber and sugar. None of this matters unless it tastes good. My current favorite is thin sliced, Dave's Killer Breads. For me to pay $5. for a loaf of bread, it's good.

Just wait a little while. Dave's Killer bread has been sold to a private equity firm who is selling taking it nationwide via Walmart. You may start seeing some major changes in formulation and the like.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Just wait a little while. Dave's Killer bread has been sold to a private equity firm who is selling taking it nationwide via Walmart. You may start seeing some major changes in formulation and the like.
Oh, that figures. Everything I like gets discontinued or goes off the market. I don't shop at Walmart.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yep. Vegetable and grain bowls are a pretty standard meal in this vegetarian household. I've recently rediscovered farro. Last night I made an easy skillet casserole with semi-pearled farro, chickpeas, spinach, garlic, and mushrooms that was absolutely delicious. I don't think there's any question that it was a healthy choice.
I have a whole bag of barley. Could I sub the farro for barley? If so, would you mind sharing the recipe for your casserole? It sounds yummy!

Old 03-23-2023, 02:56 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Default Grains

Why rice is the most popular grain in the US?
(well, corn is very popular too, but usually accompanied by rice or potatoes, while buckwheat, barley, quinoa, or millet don't need that company).

You barely, if ever, encounter on restaurants menu buckwheat, barley, quinoa, or millet. Rice (mostly white) and potato rules - as a side dish to you meat, fish or vegetarian dish.
Not to mention that even rice comes in variety of colors (and taste) like red, pink, brown, yellow, purple or black.

I think we should eat more varieties of grains. It's healthy and delicious!

https://www.masterclass.com/articles...PNh3zX9DhVRDyw

Who eats them and with what?

Old 03-23-2023, 07:52 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
I think it's a question of scale. Large amount of (plain white) rice are grown in the US south. People are used to eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink