Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Yep I don't think I tasted pizza until I was 12 years old, and then it was a one time thing that my brother brought home after he got out of work. I remember one time having hamburgers from a fast food place, not micky d's either, we were leaving on a vacation to my Grandma's house (KY and it was a longggg drive), we got these hamburgers and I thought they were the best thing I had ever tasted, I think the name of the place was "Come Back".
I might have been around 12 when I tasted my first pizza. The fair was going on and there was a bake sale and someone had made a Chef Boyardee from a box pizza. It was the worst thing I had ever tasted - sourish, with that horrible Parmesan 'product' cheese. It took a few years after that before I had a real pizza and realised pizzas could taste good.

Milk, growing up, came from our cows. We made our own butter. Chicken from our chickens. Beef from our cattle. Pork from our pigs. Vegetables from our garden. We canned everything. We very seldom had any soft drinks. Eating out was a big treat.

Our 'bread man' was Mom - she baked dozens of buns and loaves from scratch. There was nothing that said 'home' like coming home from school and the house smelling of soup (bread baking day was also soup day) and fresh bread.

But our beef still comes directly from farmers. So does our pork and chicken and lamb. I still make butter with cream I get from the local cheese factory. I still make bread from scratch. We don't drink much milk however, and so the little we use we buy from the supermarket. I still have a garden but I don't can any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My father used to sell eggs in Mt. Lookout door-to-door - about 45 dozen per day. And used to sell home-raised rabbits and squab to the local meat markets as a way of earning money during the war.

My son has chickens in the center of Mt. Washington. No route, but there is always an excess. He also has bees there.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Oh yes the Good Humor ice cream truck, miss those trucks! But there's nothing that can come close to the real thing. Not from a can, not from the frozen section, but home cooked from scratch.
Up until about the early 80s we had milk, butter cheese and eggs delivered and the milk still came in glass jugs. I paid more but it was well worth the convenience. Mashed potatoes comes from the produce section, stews took all day to slow simmer. Pasta sauce came from a big pot, not from a jar. Hamburger Helper and Hot Pockets didn't exist, and the basic ideas of those foods taste fresher when home made.
Oh yes, very few people make their meals from scratch anymore. Mostly due to most of us living in a fast paced world.
We had a milk man, of course, and a door to door bakery that made home deliveries twice a week. He came right into your kitchen and sold everything from loaves of bread to donuts to iced snack cakes. "Freihoffer's Bakery'" it was called (sp?). Also the "Cloister's Dairy" ice cream truck came to our neighborhood at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays (right after school - perfect timing!!!!) He sold half gallon cartons of ice cream in addition to popsicles and dixie cups. On Saturdays, the butcher truck came to our neighborhood and you could buy your weekly supply of specially cut meats and sausage direct from the "butcher shop on wheels", wrapped in brown butcher paper (no plastic wrap or styrophoam back then). I remember the butcher and his blood stained white apron - he was missing three fingers on his left hand (something I always think about when I use the meat slicer at work!)

We didn't have a grocery store close by (just a little country general store), so we relied on these delivery people. Plus, most of us had only one car, and some of our moms didn't drive anyway.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
I still make homemade bread and rolls and homemade soup, nothing canned in our house. Mom did the same thing making bread and rolls from scratch once a week!

We lived in the city so we did have grocery stores that our meat, besides what Dad hunted, came from. Mom canned a lot, mainly pickles, tomatoes, green beans, beets. Anyone else love pickled eggs? I have not made them in years because my kids never did like them, but I love them.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I still make homemade bread and rolls and homemade soup, nothing canned in our house. Mom did the same thing making bread and rolls from scratch once a week!

We lived in the city so we did have grocery stores that our meat, besides what Dad hunted, came from. Mom canned a lot, mainly pickles, tomatoes, green beans, beets. Anyone else love pickled eggs? I have not made them in years because my kids never did like them, but I love them.
I can't say I never use anything canned now or my parents but not much. My dad also did some hunting and a lot of fishing. We would go to the grand central market (I have mentioned this before) for our porduce and we had lots of fruit trees in our yard. Between my aunt and uncles orange trees, our variety and grandma's avocado tree (we had one as well) we didn't have to depend on store canned goods. Mom and dad did do some summer canning, mostly fruit and jams. I started canning and making jam the first year I was married.

Nita

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
Well I didn't grow up in the 50's or 60's (more like 80's) but I don't think my experince was all that different.

My mom made everything from scratch and our meals were usually very simple due to lack of funds. My mother was very good at stretching food so that even if we didn't have a lot we didn't seem to notice. We never ate out (I had never eaten out anywhere until I was a teen, due to lack of funds) or bought pre-made foods

Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:

Pickled red beet eggs - yum!!!! I like to make these with my home grown beets from my garden. DH has to watch his cholesterol, though, and he tends to get kidney stones from eating too many eggs, but they are a treat we enjoy when we harvest the beets.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Lol, I still love pickled eggs I used to make them for holidays when the kids were little, they thought they were pretty but never got a liking for the taste. Me I would gladly give up a wonderful chocolate bar for one!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Like many of you I was raised on a farm where we grew or raised most of what we ate. I barely remember the milk man pulling up in his truck when my grandma would get milk & butter off him. The milking cows were not a part of my lifetime. We canned meat, veggies, fruit products so we had a blessed cellar for the winter! We had pears, apples, gooseberries and grapes right here on the farm at our picking. Raspberries weren't far off just a couple of miles to an old railroad track where they grew wild. It was a family affair in the spring to hunt the woods for morel mushrooms! What a free treat.

We ate heavy country cooking meals with potatoes showing up at almost every meal including breakfast. We'd have either bacon, sausage or ham, eggs, gravy, biscuits and fried potatoes most mornings. Fried mush was a treat showing up once in awhile too. I hated weekend breakfast it was pancakes mostly but at times french toast which I liked better.

Strangest thing I remember about meals & food was when I was old enough to stay all night with a friend from school. Her dad came home from work carrying in brown paper sacks of groceries. I thought everybody ate from glass Ball canning jars or grabbed a chunk of meat from the freezer they had butchered.

I remember that meal didn't have much flavor like my mother or grandmother's cooking at home did. I thought her mom wasn't as skilled but looking back it was just about loss of quality in store bought foods I bet.

BTW I still can our foods today and both of my kids know how so maybe they will pass it along when they have families one day.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Well I didn't grow up in the 50's or 60's (more like 80's) but I don't think my experince was all that different.

My mom made everything from scratch and our meals were usually very simple due to lack of funds. My mother was very good at stretching food so that even if we didn't have a lot we didn't seem to notice. We never ate out (I had never eaten out anywhere until I was a teen, due to lack of funds) or bought pre-made foods
The 80s is about the time things started really changing, closer to the late 80s I would say, even the early 90s. When families started having 2 adults working out of the house as the rule and not the exception family eating habits changed. As for your never eating out, you were certainly the exception I would guess. Did your moms habits wear off on you or do you like to buy prepared entrees, etcI. It is always interesting to see how adults handle situations based on their childhood, both good and bad.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink