Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times

Advertisements

I have tomato issues... lol...

I am in NJ, and in the heat of summer, come our red, ripe, juicy Jersey tomatos!! These i love raw - on a sandwich with just mayo and salt and pepper!! But they are real tomatos - not gassed, crunchy!, half-green ones - or ones with green bits thru-out them! These are red and soft!

I can eat a thin slice of a regular old tomato on a burger - well, i could - but i dont eat meat anymore. I dont like "winter" tomatos in my salads, not even really the roma or grape or cherry ones. Jersey ones - yes!

I DONT like cooked tomato with any dishes such as main dishes - in chunks, warm. I DO like tomato (marinara, spaghetti) sauces on pasta and if it has chunks in it i usually just leave them aside. And i'm NOT a picky eater, just something about tomatos warm!

I grew up on ketchup and American cheese sandwiches, so i'm a ketchup eater. Organic/natural all the way!! And i love V-8 juice, and Bloody Mary's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I like tomato in any form.
However I will eat raw tomato slices separately from my sandwich ( usually put on a plate with onions, and/or cucumbers/goat cheese/avocado etc.)
I like raw tomato in any kind of salads and salsas. Especially a very simple tomato salad ( cut into wedges, with onions, salt/pepper and mixed with sour cream as a dressing ). I add canned or frozen tomatoes to many dishes: pureed, crushed, diced, chunks or whole. I only buy organic tomato products, for the higher lycopene content. Cooked tomatoes are much healthier than raw.
BTW: The only tomato product I dislike is Ketchup which I never buy or use.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I don't eat tomato or any of its derivations any more because it helps my rosacea.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I'll only eat cooked tomatoes but I love ketchup and tomato sauces. Yes I'm odd

Old 10-17-2016, 02:45 AM

19 posts, read 17,272 times
Me. I don't like tomatoes by themselves, or in salad, but I do like them in sandwiches (only with cheese), in salsa, spaghetti sauce, or soup.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Have a granddaughter the same way: loves spaghetti, likes other cooked tomato products but won't touch a raw tomato. She also won't eat mayo or sour cream but her favorite salad dressing is Blue cheese, especially home made. My home made blue cheese is mainly blue cheese, mayo and sour cream.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:43 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think the raw tomato haters have just given up on finding any good ones. I have rarely had a good one, even during the summer. Unless I know it is going to taste good, I'll just skip the fresh tomato.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I have had many people tell me that I don't like raw tomatoes because I've never had a "good" (homegrown, heirloom, etc. etc.) one. But that's not the case, because some of those same people have given me "great tomatoes that I will love!" and to me they are just more raw tomatoes and to heck with them.

I love tomato sauce and marinara sauce, like tomato soup and ketchup, and tolerate chunks of cooked tomato. Salsa is good because the spiciness drowns out other flavors (and I like spicy). But a big NO to slices of raw tomato on sandwiches or burgers, or chunks of raw tomato in salad. Caprese salad looks so good, with the mozzarella and basil, but...nope.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
DW thinks I am nuts since I too do not like raw tomatoes but absolutely love tomato sauce, ketchup, salsa and other things made with tomatoes. I won't eat the tomatoes in a salad either (okay I may eat one piece to be polite). I know it is weird but think it is a texture thing. Just don't like biting down on something skwishy. Nice to see there are so many others that agree. Jay

Old 10-30-2016, 01:27 PM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
When I was younger, I didn't mind tomatoes in salads or sandwiches but I don't know, somewhere in my 30s, I started to dislike eating plain tomatoes. So now, I have to remove them from my sandwiches before eating them. But like the original poster said, I have no problem eating tomato-based dishes or sauces. I just assumed it was my own personal weird trait. Lol.

Stuff like this topic is why I enjoy conversing on the internet: you think you're the only one who feels, acts, or thinks a certain way and then you come online and find out that there's lots of people similar to you. Gotta love that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink