Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM

188 posts, read 974,504 times

Advertisements

Having may daughter in law a graduation party this weekend and am wondering..Is it cheaper to go to Wal-Mart and buy a sandwich tray or make our own? Anyone have any cheap sandwich ideas? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
make your own. don't forget to make a veggie tray too.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Having may daughter in law a graduation party this weekend and am wondering..Is it cheaper to go to Wal-Mart and buy a sandwich tray or make our own? Anyone have any cheap sandwich ideas? Thanks!!
If you are going to be really busy and don't want to bother with cooking, do the Wal Mart run, but I think it is cheaper, fun and certainly tastier to do your own. Of course there are the usual sandwhiches, tuna, chicken salad and egg salad, chicken salad is my favorite. cream chese, mixed with blue cheese and either pacanti sause or pecans can make really tasty little sandwhitches. If you want to go with something more filling do the usual ham or beef and cheese Along with lettuce and tomato a slice of cuke adds a snap and a little flavor. I just think the ready made sandwhich trays have little flavor. If you do your own, use a variety of quality breads.

Nita

Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Don't forget to check out Gordon Food Service - they have everything you can think of and I think the quality is pretty good. They have premaid items, lunch meats (they will slice it for you), salad items, dessert items, beverages, paper and plastic items - I bought stuff for my wedding reception there a few years back. It couldn't be any more convenient, IMHO.....eat some goodies for all of us....

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
Make your own!

If you have a "Food Lion" in your neck of the woods... I find their "deli meats" the most inexpensive & of very decent quality (may be they have their own butcher or something; their meat is the best price of many other grocery I compared with).

Their roast beef (my reg. deli meat I buy) is usually around $1- even $2.50 less than the other places... and for their store brand "roast beef", I usually get them at $6.49 (normal price, $5.99 on sale).
Their store brand chicken breast & Roast Turkey... reg. price $5.99 ($4.99 on sale)...
My DH's fav. Pimento loaf, we usually get for $2.99... almost the same for my fav. Turkey Pastrami.

Way... much less than Walmart... also beating out other places.

Also do a "bagel" tray...
Target have their brand bagels for only $1.22 for pack o' 6 their brand, $1.24 or a bit more for "Lenders" (beating out even other big box stores like Costco / BJ / Sams / Walmart or the normal grocery stores).

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
Idea if you have some time to bake....

Get that $2.29 (2 dozen "Weis" bread) & Weis (2 1/2 doz. egg tray $4.79 or something like that similar to Walmart's) make a "cheater's quiche".

Roll & flattened the bread (as thin as you can get it),
butter bread & muffin cups...
stuff the bread into muffin cups & make a "bread cup container"
Pop in the oven at 420, toast the bread for ard 5 min (barely toasted but hold shape)...
Beat up a bunch o' eggs (enough) to fill however many bread cups you are making...
Cut chives or add cut mini ham pieces or cooked bacon bits optional* into egg mixture,
add a splash of milk, salt & pepper & or herbs to taste the mixture...
Spoon mixture into bread cups,
Top with American cheese squares or shredded whatever cheese you have (sharp cheddar / swiss / mozzeralla or Parm etc.) or that finger sliced bacon pice or ham to make it special....
Bake for 15 - 20 mins till done (egg set).
Decorate w/ chives / parsley / scallions / more parm cheese gratings etc...

One easy, inexpensive, awesome colorful tapa.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
make your own sanwiches, have a veggie platter with dip and fruit salad. Make these yourself much cheaper. Chips, pretzels and dip too.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Honestly, unless you're talking about little, little kids, this is what I'd do for sandwiches:

I'd buy a bunch of breads: white, wheat, bagels, etc...
I'd buy some deli fillings, mustard, etc...
I'd make some other fillings, such as tuna, egg, etc...

On a big table, I'd lay out all the different breads, the deli fillings on a platter, and each tuna, egg, whatever filling in its own bowl... and let them make the sandwiches themselves.

That way, whatever doesn't get eaten, you can package up and put in the fridge to use later. If they're already made, you'd likely toss the leftovers.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,146 times
Lavash sandwiches. If you have a Trader Joes nearby they sell packages of 6 for $1.99. Each sheet it about 9"x12". Take cream cheese and add herbs (fresh is good; if dried then powder it between your fingers but add fine minced green onion tops for color). Spread the cream cheese, layer spinach or greens like julienned carrots parallel to the short edge, then layer a deli meat. You can use less meat if it has lots of flavor, like pepperoni. Roll it up like a jelly roll. The cream cheese binds it together. Wrap the roll tight in cling film and chill to let it set, then cut the roll into 5 or 6 individual pinwheel sandwiches.

One package is enough for 30-36 of these little sandwiches. A big platter of 60-70 with various fillings I could do for about $20 of smart shopping, $30 tops, and with little effort.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,081 times
You could pick up a few quiches or throw some together for the people who don't like sandwiches or eat meat.

That's my family. My son hates sandwiches. Hubby is a vegetarian. Going to someone's house for a party is not so easy. I usually have to bring something for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink