Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer buffets or cafeterias?
Buffet 13 65.00%
Cafeteria 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I am sure I will be in the minority here but I despise buffets on so many levels but the primary one being, when I eat out I want to be served. I take no pleasure in paying to serve myself.
Most buffets like cafeterias serve food of mediocre quality, but... few are still great, and actually in every buffet person can find something "ok" to eat.
I don't mind to self serve - I don't have to be served every time I go out to eat , at least I can pick and choose the items, and determine on the size of my plate. I can try different things which works great when I am trying a new items of an unknown ethnic cuisine.

Not long ago, I went to try Jamaican food. I never had it before and I was anxious to taste different dishes, learn their names and find out what I am liking and what not. For me, there was no better way to do that.
Some people go to an ethnic restaurant, order one dish a la carte and decide that they don't like that cuisine. They might miss other great dishes they would love but never tried.

When I go to the buffet, I usually go at a peak time. It's crowded, I know, but the dishes are the freshest, filled up fast and out not long enough to be touched, sneezed on or other gross things described by others. I grab on those that just came out fresh.
Regular buffets are not my favorite places to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,257 times
Could not agree more with Dens. Buffets save leftovers and serve them as new and their cough rail can't be big enough for me. I want one of those things around my coffin when my time is up....only time I ever got deathly ill was after eating at a buffet...

Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
^^ What she said. (Although I'm not real sure what "skeeve" means.)
LOL Skeeve is another term for gross or grossed out

Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
We don't have any cafeterias where I live, unless you go to like, a public school, or a hospital - and no one would call any of that stuff "food"

We have buffets, but I don't go to them. I can't really eat all that much in one sitting, so "all you can eat" ends up being a waste of money for me. We -do- have "all you can eat" buffets available at some of the sit-down restaurants I go to (a couple of Indian restaurants, and a particular mexican restaurant). But even then, I order off the menu and don't do the buffet. The best part about ordering off the menu, is that you can take home whatever you can't finish. With a buffet, whatever you leave on your plate gets thrown away; you're not allowed to take it home. I can't stand wasting food. I can't stand watching people heap several pounds of food on their plates just because they can, and leave most of it for the trash can.

I wish you had a "neither" or "other", but since you didn't, I didn't vote. But that's my opinion: neither.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
I had no idea that preferring cafeteria style food over buffets would spark so much debate.

I vote cafeteria.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Could not agree more with Dens. Buffets save leftovers and serve them as new and their cough rail can't be big enough for me. I want one of those things around my coffin when my time is up....only time I ever got deathly ill was after eating at a buffet...
A popular national chain buffet in the city where we lived in Illinois got closed down by the health department because they were keeping scrambled eggs, hash browns, and other food from one day and mixing in with fresh food the next day.

I just wonder if that happens more often than we know.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
A few points.

Furr's operated BOTH cafeterias and buffets.

I prefer the cafeteria as generally, the portions are large enough that $10-12 fills me up quite well.

As for institutional cafeterias, I have been in some great ones in corporate headquarters, hospitals and even some universities. The ones that are bad are the ones that are highly subsidized and where the operated is NOT profit oriented.

When it comes to buffets, I really like them when it is a cuisine that I am NOT familiar with - Indian, sushi, etc. You have the opportunity to try 15-20 dishes to see what you really like. Personally, I hate going to a restaurant, spending $15-20 for an entree that I dislike after two or three bites. And since my tastes run to the bizarre - duck tongues are pretty good - I liek the ability to try hundreds of new things.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
We don't have any cafeterias where I live, unless you go to like, a public school, or a hospital - and no one would call any of that stuff "food"

We have buffets, but I don't go to them. I can't really eat all that much in one sitting, so "all you can eat" ends up being a waste of money for me. We -do- have "all you can eat" buffets available at some of the sit-down restaurants I go to (a couple of Indian restaurants, and a particular mexican restaurant). But even then, I order off the menu and don't do the buffet. The best part about ordering off the menu, is that you can take home whatever you can't finish. With a buffet, whatever you leave on your plate gets thrown away; you're not allowed to take it home. I can't stand wasting food. I can't stand watching people heap several pounds of food on their plates just because they can, and leave most of it for the trash can.

I wish you had a "neither" or "other", but since you didn't, I didn't vote. But that's my opinion: neither.

We have some good cafeterias here, with really excellent home style cooking. I love the vegetables, and the veggie plate is a popular option where you can choose any three of the veggies and fresh baked bread or rolls. The pie and other desserts are also excellent.

There is also baked macaroni and cheese, pot pies, and other down-home type choices.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Buffet... I like to get a course, eat it, come back, eat it, come back... mmm!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I like Mongolian grill-style places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink