Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Yes, I watched Food, Inc. a few times. It mad my blood boil!!!!!!!!
Important stuff. I also subscribed their web site.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:13 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
So I'm really REALLY glad that there are quite a few who have responded, with excellent insights & comments. Strawberrykiki, kaimuki, claud605, sheena12, lifelongMOgal, user_id, warren zee, Happy in Wyoming, Dude111, & elnina......my hat is off to your responses.
I'm just very thankful that some people actually do get what it's all about & have a better understanding of what that movie's message is.

On a side note-- if some of these posters have not actually ever watched the movie.....
how do they feel qualified to even respond??

Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Most people in the US don't care what they eat, it has to be a lot and cheap!
Only recently some started to ask themselves where the food come from, what are the ingredients, are the ingredients safe?
They check the nutrition labels, the portions size, and on the other usually very small print. I am glad to see it, because all I always hear is is bragging and comparing about the food being in the USA so cheap.
Indeed it is cheap, but ... with the price comes the quality.....
Some people get really angry when traveling to other countries, and disappointed about the portion sizes and the food prices. But that's the normal cost of quality food, which here in the USA is not cheap either.
It makes me very sad, that there is a generation of kids that do not know how real food taste. They travel and they comment on it as horrible and disgusting, because it does not taste like at home. Or they travel and look for familiar places like McD, Pizza Hut of KFC, because they only want to eat food they know.
We became a country of (cheap) quantity, not quality... and that boils down to pretty much everything most people want.

I agree that people that die directly from eating contaminated food will make headlines. But there are millions of millions of people that get sick INDIRECTLY from eating the wrong kind of food. They are obese, diabetic, constipated, have high blood pressure, are depressed, have clogged arteries, bypasses, and strokes, have high cholesterol, and many, many more diseases that are a RESULT of eating contaminated, unhealthy, genetically modified, processed cheap food in large quantities.

Last edited by elnina; 07-15-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Only recently some started to ask themselves where the food come from, what are the ingredients, are the ingredients safe?
They check the nutrition labels, the portions size, and on the other usually very small print. I am glad to see it, because all I always hear is is bragging and comparing about that food in the USA is very cheap. Indeed it is cheap, but ... with the price comes the quality.....
Some people get really angry when traveling to other countries, and disappointed about the portion sizes and the food prices. But that's the normal cost of quality food, which here in the USA is not cheap either.
It makes me very sad, that there is a generation of kids that do not know how real food taste. They travel and they comment on it as horrible and disgusting, because it does not taste like at home. Or they travel and look for familiar places like McD, Pizza Hut of KFC, because they only want to eat food they know.
We became a country of (cheap) quantity, not quality... and that boils down to pretty much everything most people want.
And as the movie pointed out....some people are so poor in the U.S. that they can only afford to eat from the Dollar menu. They can't afford to eat the healthy stuff; it's cheaper to get the junk food, & they do. What a catch 22; they are filling up on garbage, but at what cost?

The movie makes ya' think about food in a whole new light. It's a movie that is pretty much unforgettable. Farmer Joel is my hero.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 PM

^^^ there are poor people in other countries too. But even very poor people there eat better quality food than most of us simply because that horrible, plastic food is not produced and sold in their countries.

I agree that many poor people buy a dollar stuff, but when I look at their baskets and see what they paid for it, I often think that for that money spent on bags of chips, dips, sweets, sodas and dollar meals - they could prepare much better quality, healthier meals.

Last edited by elnina; 07-15-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
^^^ there are poor people in other countries too. But even very poor people there eat better quality food than most of us simply because that horrible, plastic food is not produced and sold in their countries.
Yep it seems as if we are conditioned to want the fast food from a young age.
I think that was pointed out in the other movie on how we as Americans are influenced by food, Supersize Me.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:10 PM

^^^ quantity rules!!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yep it seems as if we are conditioned to want the fast food from a young age.
I think that was pointed out in the other movie on how we as Americans are influenced by food, Supersize Me.
You are right! It is very sad to see toddlers eating fried food like fries or nuggets and sip on sweet beverages that contain only minuscule of real juice if any. They are raised on junk food and when they grow up, it became the food of choice.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
They check the nutrition labels, the portions size, and on the other usually very small print. I am glad to see it, because all I always hear is is bragging and comparing about the food being in the USA so cheap.

I agree that people that die directly from eating contaminated food will make headlines. But there are millions of millions of people that get sick INDIRECTLY from eating the wrong kind of food. They are obese, diabetic, constipated, have high blood pressure, are depressed, have clogged arteries, bypasses, and strokes, have high cholesterol, and many, many more diseases that are a RESULT of eating contaminated, unhealthy, genetically modified, processed cheap food in large quantities.
I agree, people introduce kids to fast foods and unhealthy foods way to young, but this is not just in America. I remember my frist trip to the Mexican Riviera: I douldn't believe babies drinking coke out of a baby bottle and not jsut once or twice, everywhere we looked. In much of the UK we have seen families with babies in places like Micky D's. they can't give the babies french fries fast enough. This holds true with much of the Caribbean as well. We have not been to anyplace in the world except one Caribbean Island where there was not a Miccky D's. Clear back in 1979, our first trip to the Caribbean, and Aruba which is tiny, there was a KFCs. I am sure, it wasn't built to keep the tourists happy as most people had not even heard of Aruba in those days.

So, bad eating habits are everywhere, throughout the world. Some are worse than others, but they do exist. We hear about how the Asians eat, the French, etc. unfortunately their kids too, are learning to like junk food, younger and younger.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

I agree, people introduce kids to fast foods and unhealthy foods way to young, but this is not just in America. I remember my frist trip to the Mexican Riviera: I douldn't believe babies drinking coke out of a baby bottle and not jsut once or twice, everywhere we looked. In much of the UK we have seen families with babies in places like Micky D's. they can't give the babies french fries fast enough. This holds true with much of the Caribbean as well. We have not been to anyplace in the world except one Caribbean Island where there was not a Miccky D's. Clear back in 1979, our first trip to the Caribbean, and Aruba which is tiny, there was a KFCs. I am sure, it wasn't built to keep the tourists happy as most people had not even heard of Aruba in those days.

So, bad eating habits are everywhere, throughout the world. Some are worse than others, but they do exist. We hear about how the Asians eat, the French, etc. unfortunately their kids too, are learning to like junk food, younger and younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink