Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times

Advertisements

I wish i still had a coffee bean grinder. Mine broke. It was the perfect size to make one pot of coffee. No measuring beans or ground coffee. Now I grind it at the store and always guess how much to put in the coffee maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Cant think of one. Dont really partake in getting stuff that doesnt have purpose. We do have a rice cooker/steamer that is only used maybe once a month.
I don't think using something once a month would put it into the "useless" colume. I use my rice cooker about twice a month, maybe less and don't know what I would do without it.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The bread machine sits in the laundry room cupboard, unused. I have an electric meat slicer that I bought in 04, and I've yet to slice anything with it. My mandolin doesn't get used as often as it once was, but that's because I've shed so much blood and pieces of flesh while using it.

I have two of those stand-up rectangular cheese shredder/graters with the four sides of varying levels of shred. I always end up using the handheld shredders that date back to the twenties, mainly because they're easier to clean.
Sounds like what we used to do: meat slicer, I had to have it, used it about 3 or 4 times, sold it at a garage sale and then, like a fool I bought another one; it too got sold at the garage sale or better, I donated it to the church rummage sale. The manolin is what I was talking about when I mentioned veggie slicer, I couldn't think of what it is called, regardless, when I see it hiding, I take it out, use it once and hide it again for 6 months. We never had the bread maker but our daughter did. Her daughter, while in highschool wanted one for Christmas. Oh how excited she was and how she loved making bread (for about 2 months) it too ended up in a garage sale. I will say, I do use my cheese shredders though. Yes the are hard to clean, but they shred so much, so fast

russo: I use my garlic mincer or press, whatever a couple times a week. We do a lot of Asian and Italian cooking plus grilling. I use garlic for all of it and love the press.

Patrinka: more and more I use the skillet or a pan for deep frying, the deep fryer is such a mess. I do like the basket in the fryer, but am not sure that makes up for the pain it is to clean up, etc. We only deep fry about once every couple of months, I call it our cheat dinner...

Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
We don't use these much.. i have no need for them.

Well, the little one could be handy on a rare occasion.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Well, the OP asked for just one so I will choose the Cuisinart Griddler hubby bought me at Costco. We used it once and that was it. I have numerous other one use wonders.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Waffle maker, plastic sealer (I guess that's what you call that thing to stop buying ziploc bags?), and a food processor. All sitting in the cabinet, right now, collecting dust.

I have an immersion blender that I've never used, but I think I'm going to start using it for making my own salad dressings.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
I have on of the Magic Bullet choppers that was given to us. I can't remember if I ever used it.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Espresso machine. Used it for awhile to make cappucinos and stuff....easier to just go get one if I really want one.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I never use my food mill; I can do everything plus with my immersion blender or regular blender. But to each his own as shown by the next quotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My imersion blender, I have used it 2 times in 9 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Salad spinner, I always just wash the lettuce, and dry it with paper towels...why did I buy that thing?
You probably saw Julia Child use one. That's what my mother did. She liked it so much she bought one for us. My late wife used it all of the time and so do I. I may be using it because it reminds me of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We don't use these much.. i have no need for them.

(Hand citrus juice squeezers)

Well, the little one could be handy on a rare occasion.
I use one at least once per day. Again, how different we are.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
I stopped drinking coffee, so I haven't used my coffee grinder in about 14 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink