Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are a lot of restaurants in Atlanta that serve Lobster and Lox and Bagels, but that is not where they started or what we think of, when we think of the south. Absolutely in no way can one connect the New England region with ribs;;;
Actually, ribs were originally eaten in England, and most of the earliest immigrants to America were English and German, so maybe. I agree it's not nearly as popular as the other dishes we mentioned, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
A regional food in Montana, is a cornish pasty, a piecrust folded over meat, that miners would take into the mine.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Even so, their types of pies are different. It only makes since that since the NE is the oldest part of our nation, they had pies first. Probably the most American thing would be an apple pie. Although I do recall studying in school that Louisiana's state food symbol was actually a meat pie. Same with Florida, they had a cream pie as well.
Sugar cream pie is the state pie of Indiana.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Actually, ribs were originally eaten in England, and most of the earliest immigrants to America were English and German, so maybe. I agree it's not nearly as popular as the other dishes we mentioned, though.
I have seen recipes for New England ribs and Massachusetts ribs. I believe the Massachusetts ribs were baked in the oven for hours and basted with Bbq sauce.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yeah, but Indiana is neither NE or south. I saw that on the state site earlier today. Indiana would be considered MW.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
A regional food in Montana, is a cornish pasty, a piecrust folded over meat, that miners would take into the mine.
Actually, the cornish pasty is a food that all miners took into the mine. It was also taken into the mines in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota. In general, the ingredients were red meat (usually beef or lamb) and root vegetables (potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, carrots) baked in a pastry crust.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think it might be a southern Indiana thing. I lived in Northeastern Indiana for 20 years and never even heard of it.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Even so, their types of pies are different. It only makes since that since the NE is the oldest part of our nation, they had pies first.
Oh dear - both cultural cuisine AND history are taking a hit today! Technically, the first successful settlement in what is now the USA was Jamestown, Virginia in 1607. Not the NE.

However, the Dutch began settling New Amsterdam (now New York) in 1609, only two years after Jamestown. So more realistically, the regions developed pretty parallel to each other and I would not say one is any older than the other. If you're interested in more information about the development of the colonies, I suggest the book Family Life in 17th and 18th Century America which covers much of it along side it's cultural and human history. But for quicker reference, here's a list of European colonies in America and their founding dates: European colonization of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note that nothing in the USA predates Jamestown - only the French in Canada do by a few years but Canada isn't a part of this discussion.

It may be true that different types of pies are more popular in the north versus south. But apple pie is not one of them - it's pretty universal. Fact of the matter remains that you claimed pies, "especially apple" were a northern thing, unpopular in the south, which is incorrect. And now you're trying to skirt around the fact that you're wrong by making inaccurate historical claims too! Do yourself a favor and just stop talking, lol

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
A part of my family were very longstanding New Englanders [think 1600's]. They ate few "ethnic" foods like that spaghetti stuff :+) They actually ate stuff we think of as Brit - like lots of lamb, shad in the spring, organ meat & tongue, mincemeat pie[as well as rhubarb], roast beef with popovers. They baked steamed brown bread in a mold. They ate very seasonally - couldn't wait for spring asparagus !; & locally - clams, lobster, cranberries, blueberries, apples, squash, corn.

I think seasonal & local greatly influenced what I associate with "the maiden aunts" - - - my parents' generation had a lot more to choose from throughout the year.
this is becoming almost funny: we have gone from what most consider regional foods, those associated with certain parts of the country, to whether a place is midwest and now where we originally settled..I think all of this becomes a matter of opinion; what we think of when we think of a part of our country, especially food. I think some people are confusing where a food started with what foods are associated with a particular area. But regardless it is good reading and there are no right or wrong answers...

Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
When I think of the foods of the south, 2 of the first foods that come to mind are delicious ribs from Memphis and pie, especially peach.

Oh and to whomever mentioned Tastykakes, yes they are definitely a northern thing, but they are now available in the south. I saw them just last week in grocery store in Atlanta, and a couple of months ago in a store in Texas. I have a niece who just loves their butterscotch krumpets. She fell in love with them while visiting family in Pennsylvania, and is now just thrilled that she can get them at home in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink