Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 PM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times

Advertisements

No different because we don't have a special Christmas dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Thanksgiving is turkey, Christmas is prime rib, New Years Day is pork with kraut and Easter is lamb.

The only thing that is the same at all these meals are mashed potatoes and dinner rolls. We like to change the shape of the rolls for different meals. Just as we like to change the side dishes.
Wish we had the lamb, as a kid we did the same, but today, between the cost of lamb and how unpopular it is in our family, I am afraid it would be just, spoiled brat, our son in law and us eating it. Sounds like your home is pretty much like ours except for the lamb. New Years though is usually ham for us, but it could be port. As long as we have the greens and the beans which is for good luck, good health and plenty of money. Of course never heard this until we moved to VA. I think it is a southern tradition.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:16 AM

14 posts, read 8,191 times
mmmmmm Turkey........

Old 11-19-2019, 06:17 AM

7 posts, read 4,921 times
I'm totally out of ideas for this yrs Christmas dinner. Looks like another merry KFC

Old 11-21-2019, 06:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I don’t serve the same thing twice.

For Thanksgiving, I go all out. I have at least two main dishes - ham or turkey and something else. For instance, I’m doing turkey and may do stuffed bell peppers. About 3 sides, including oyster dressing, and 2 desserts. For drinking, just a basic wine and soda. It’s just me and my son when he stops by so between the two of us, it’s a whole lot of food.

For Christmas, I keep the meal very small. Since I’m having turkey for Thanksgiving, I’ll probably do a small ham. Maybe cook a pot of gumbo. Mac and cheese for the boy and some greens for me. I usually buy a bottle of chocolate wine for myself.

For both holiday meals, I always have cranberry sauce.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wish we had the lamb, as a kid we did the same, but today, between the cost of lamb and how unpopular it is in our family, I am afraid it would be just, spoiled brat, our son in law and us eating it. Sounds like your home is pretty much like ours except for the lamb. New Years though is usually ham for us, but it could be port. As long as we have the greens and the beans which is for good luck, good health and plenty of money. Of course never heard this until we moved to VA. I think it is a southern tradition.
My son doesn't like lamb, and I don't feel like cooking it for myself. Mom served lamb on Easter once in a while when I was a kid. Even back then, it put a serious dent in her food budget. She had to order it from a butcher shop because you couldn't find it locally.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Thankgiving as a natonal holiday is an American (and Canadian although on a different date) tradition.

In Europe, it tends to be called Harvest Festival and is more of a religous festival and Europeans don't get the day off and don't see family or have a meal.

However even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, big cities such as London, which have sizeable American populations, often have a number of restaurants that serve traditional American Thanksgiving menus and items.

Thanksgiving dinner in London: The best festive menus in the capital - London Evening Standard

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-22-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-24-2019, 03:53 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Roasted chicken. Xmas eve either ravioli or pasta w/ red clam sauce.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Roasted chicken. Xmas eve either ravioli or pasta w/ red clam sauce.
Our Christmas eve is always tamales.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:20 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
We always do the traditional turkey/ham dinner for Thanksgiving - not really MY choice, but that is what the rest of the family wants and expects.

For Christmas however, we like to change it up from year to year. Prime rib is a favorite, we've roasted chickens, had assorted home-made casseroles, smoked briskit, had a barbeque, one year it was tex-mex, and one year had a fish fry. All have been very enjoyable feasts, and we all try to bring new and different sides and desserts to go with whatever "entree" we are having, as well as some items that are favorites and brought each year, by request.

We also like to have a new and different "cocktail" for the adults at Christmas time. This year, it will be Cranberry Peppermint vodka martinis, garnished with candy canes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink