Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

OMG! KETTLE CORN! Yummmm.....

We buy a big bag every Saturday at the Farmers Market. Hot. I don't really want to share...but I guess it would be piggy to buy a bag and not share.

I am not sure I would make it right at home...I would probably mess it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Just a few years ago I had never heard of or saw the stuff anywhere. Now there seems to be a booth at every state/craft/seasonal fair, in addition to it being sold in bags at grocery stores.

If you're unfamiliar, it's simply popcorn lightly seasoned with sugar and salt. The taste and texture is similar to regular popcorn, but not as sweet as ike a carmel popcorn. The smell of the fresh popped stuff wafts through the crowds at these events and lures you in. And is it addictive! I pretend it's healthy so I can eat more. Any else a fan this stuff?
I think it smells way better than it tastes and it is way too sweet for me to have more than a few pieces. I'll stick to regular popcorn with real unsalted butter on it but I do hope you enjoy your kettle corn very much.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
JIf you're unfamiliar, it's simply popcorn lightly seasoned with sugar and salt. The taste and texture is similar to regular popcorn, but not as sweet as ike a carmel popcorn.
The main difference is that in kettle corn, the popcorn and oil are cooked along with sugar and salt, with constant stirring, which gives a light, slightly caramelized sugar coating to the corn; while caramel corn is prepared by adding a caramelized sugar sauce to already popped popcorn, which makes for a much thicker coating.

They both have the appeal of a popular salty and sweet flavor combination. The kettle corn has the additional appeal to customers of smelling and hearing and seeing it being made in a big kettle, while being stirred with a big wooden paddle. It's a little carnival of the senses, all in one booth, which is why it is such a popular festival food.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 AM

149 posts, read 270,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The main difference is that in kettle corn, the popcorn and oil are cooked along with sugar and salt, with constant stirring, which gives a light, slightly caramelized sugar coating to the corn; while caramel corn is prepared by adding a caramelized sugar sauce to already popped popcorn, which makes for a much thicker coating.

They both have the appeal of a popular salty and sweet flavor combination. The kettle corn has the additional appeal to customers of smelling and hearing and seeing it being made in a big kettle, while being stirred with a big wooden paddle. It's a little carnival of the senses, all in one booth, which is why it is such a popular festival food.
Yeah I like how it's not too sweet. I'm not a sweets person, so it really is a good combo of the salty and sweet. Plus, like you say, the smell wafting thru the fair is pretty awesome.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:03 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
I think kettle corn sucks. Give me regular popcorn any day.

So I guess I am also interested in the OP's question because I guess I don't "get it". Also, why do people like mayonnaise?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do you just throw everything in all at once and heat until the kernels pop? Doesn't the sugar burn or melt before the kernels get hot enough to burst? I'm curious how to do this since I don't buy those microwave packets, prefer to make my own but I usually just pop it in a dry pan with nothing in it but the kernels.
Here's what I made yesterday. Melt 1/4 cup coconut oil in a large lidded pot over medium heat, then add 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup popping corn. Hold the lid on and shake the pan periodically, maybe every 20 seconds. When the popping gets going, shake the pan more frequently so the sugar doesn't scorch. When the popping slows way down, turn the heat off and use both hands to vigorously toss the popcorn in the pot.

There's that sweet spot of time where all the popcorn is popped and nothing is burned, but I haven't gotten there yet. I tend to underpop a little because I really hate burned popcorn.

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-04-2012 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Edited - add oil, then other ingredients

Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
just red a bunch about kettle corn. seems like Mushroom popping corn is best, any vegetable oil will work and you need to add 3 kernels of corn with the oil, wait till they pop before you add sugar and rest of corn.

Easy Homemade Kettle Corn | Savory Sweet Life - Easy Recipes from an Everyday Home Cook

Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I think kettle corn sucks. Give me regular popcorn any day.

So I guess I am also interested in the OP's question because I guess I don't "get it". Also, why do people like mayonnaise?

Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? I prefer Hellman's Mayonnaise to Miracle Whip, to me the Miracle Whip is too sweet and I don't want sweet on my sandwich or potato salad, egg salad, etc. I like the wee bit of "tart" that I taste in the Mayonnaise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink