Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Interesting information, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Sometimes we all get complacent about the number of recalls because they don't happen to have caused us a problem, but that doesn't mean much to those affected by spoiled or tainted products, produce or meat. To get a better picture of what has been recalled, go the fda recall website or to your state's department of health rather than rely on wikipedia.

There have was an FDA recall for botulism in 2008, which was kept expanding (New Era Canning, but involved dozens of veggies and bean product under many labels):

New Era Canning Company Announces New Nationwide Recall of Green Beans and Garbanzo Beans in #10 cans (6 to 7 pound cans)
New Era Canning Company Recall (Botulism)

Another recall just this year -2012- due to botulism in Lakeside canned green beans, notice given at the Indiana Dept. of Health website:

ISDH: Lakeside Foods-French Style Green Beans

Still another recent 2012 recall due to cans "being undercooked and may have harmful organisms", ie botulism, in Schnucks French Style green beans:

Schnucks issues recall on green beans - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Then we had the giant scandal in the not so distant past, with the tomato vendor, who by way of bribery sold moldy tomatoes to giant processors, such as Kraft:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...54675689,d.dmQ

This is just a scratch at the surface - the FDA recall website is a real eye opener. You can drill down in Google as well to get recent recalls for botulism and many many more things. I've been watching for the last 5 years, since a couple of these recalls caused me problems. There is so much out there I can't begin to list it even more than just this brief overview (I'm on dialup!)

So these problems do exist and are numerous; however, it doesn't bother some people, nor does it harm everyone. If it is of no concern, pay no attention. But if the risk of harm alarms you, you can somewhat mitigate that risk by finding ways to stay informed. You can't eliminate all food risks, but you can reduce them a bit to better manage the amount of risk if it is important to you and your family.

I've also noticed the same spoilage issues as mentioned in this thread. One of the worst offenders around here is Costco, which I still enjoy shopping at, but I am very particular in checking out produce there. And I've noticed I am not alone in doing so, in fact, we shoppers often mention it to each other in passing while in the produce section. That is just one example, but I've found it isn't limited to small grocery chains by any means.

I am also getting militant about it, and take back spoiled items. I call the store and let them know that the next time I'm in town, I'll need a credit for X. If it were just an occasional item or two, that would be different. But instances of this are on the increase. I've never had a problem getting a refund from any store yet, and given that, I do keep shopping even if I've had an issue at XYZ store and try to be as aware/careful as I can in what I buy. But still, you never know what you are getting for sure in that can of XXXX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think this is actually the big factor... the temperature the milk is kept at has a huge difference on the storage life. Use an accurate thermometer... check!

On a temporary out-of-state work assignment once I stayed with a co-worker for a while, and I found the food I put in his refrigerator was going bad very quickly. Over a period of several weeks I was surprised at how much food I was throwing out. So I picked up a kitchen thermometer at the store and checked the temperature and found that it was about 45 F, or 5 F higher than the recommended high setting for a home refrigerator. At 45 F milk can spoil twice as fast as it does at 40 F, and 36 F is really optimum for longer food keeping.

When I mentioned it, my friend said that yeah, he was trying to keep his electric bills down, and he noticed the refrigerator didn't run as often when he chose a higher setting.
I don't doubt that at all. I keep my milk pretty close to freezing so I wouldn't know about higher temps causing premature spoilage, at least in my home! I imagine that once milk has been at an improper temp for any time the damage is done.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I am not sure what your end goal is here. I am not buying what you are selling, as I believe you to be incorrect. Several of us have had similar problems and while you certainly have your opinion as to the "good" dates it does not negate that their is a problem. There is no fog here.
My end goal is clarity, about a subject that a lot of people are confused around.

Everything I've stated here is 100% factual, based on Government and industry standards, which are very easy to verify. And the nationally accepted standard in the US for fresh milk is that it is expected to be fresh when properly stored for 7 days after the Sell-By: date. Same for yogurt. Heavy whipping cream is 10 days.

What you do with that information is definitely your own business. If you want to throw milk out 7 days before the Sell-By: date, for whatever reason, that's no skin off my nose.

But for anyone reading this thread I think it's important to be clear, as I stated earlier, that a Sell-By: date is NOT an expiration date. And that's a fact. Food products in supermarkets don't normally have expiration dates, except for infant formula. The dates you see are voluntary quides to quality, and tend to be extremely conservative. If you aren't getting the normal expected storage life after purchase, you have a valid complaint to take back to the store.

Food Product Dating | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

Last edited by OpenD; 12-14-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Just opened a can of anchovies for a pizza and they stunk worse than usual. Had hubby come and give it the sniff test and he said they were spoiled. The tin was marked as good until October of 2013.

Has anyone else noticed a barrage of spoiled food that's supposed to be good? Come on, stuff is expensive enough without having to throw it out or drive thirty miles back to the store with a stinking can of anchovies to get my couple of bucks back.

Stop it.

good post

i know im going to get rocks thrown at me for writing this...but its just my opinion.

no one should be buying spoiled product period

it could be as simply mis-rotation at warehouse or store level

but here's a few things in the mix, its a tough economy, with all taxes and expenses going up, so quality control, may be less, and to pay for more expenses, companies cut more payroll...

also, the more fresh and unprocessed you want something,,,the shorter the shelf life

everyone is looking at labels, and sodium, and preservatives are bad words

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
As an aside... folks disagreeing with your premise does not mean that they have "missed the point" or "don't understand."

Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
This is the distinction that many consumers are so foggy about. They see a date, any date, and act as though it means FOOD GOES ROTTEN ON: date. But it mostly means something very, very different.
Exactly. Frozen food with an sell-by date of three weeks away? How could that possibly be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Eggs - I replace monthly.
Eggs are good for at least five weeks after the date stamped on the carton. Quick freshness test for eggs: Place them in a pan of water. Fresh eggs will stand on end. If they float, too much air has permeated the shell and they may or may not be fresh.

Quote:
Canned foods - I rarely buy canned goods other than tuna, and the occasional Progresso Chickerina for nostalgia's sake. The tuna gets used up within a month of purchasing - I keep a rotating stock of it. The soup gets used the week I buy it - sometimes even the same day.
Canned foods are good indefinitely, unless the can itself is badly dented, rusted, or leaking. No need to rush!
Quote:
If you want to throw milk out 7 days before the Sell-By: date, for whatever reason, that's no skin off my nose.
But what a waste, though! It makes me very sad to think of perfectly good food being pitched.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
I don't know if this was posted above (too lazy to check)....

Have you ever sniffed a jug of milk and it smelled bad? You think the milk is bad, right? Even if the date is OK.

I've noticed this and found that the milk is good but the milk residue around the mouth of the jug is spoiled and when you sniff, you'd think the entire jug is bad.

To really find out, pour a little milk in a clean cup and smell it. I should smell fine. Just clean the mouth of the jug.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I don't know if this was posted above (too lazy to check)....

Have you ever sniffed a jug of milk and it smelled bad? You think the milk is bad, right? Even if the date is OK.

I've noticed this and found that the milk is good but the milk residue around the mouth of the jug is spoiled and when you sniff, you'd think the entire jug is bad.

To really find out, pour a little milk in a clean cup and smell it. I should smell fine. Just clean the mouth of the jug.
I go one step further - I taste it.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Our rule is to buy only a few days worth of food at a time. It reduces the chances of food going bad. It doesn't always work, however. My bakery sells bread by the loaf (sliced or unsliced). A loaf will last us more than a few days. Usually it doesn't go bad on us since it's only been out of the oven for a few hours most when we purchase it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink