Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Are you all taking photos of food on your own plate or the guy sitting at the next table? No more sneaking that chocolate sundae for me. It could end up on Facebook!!
I admit my bunch is embarrassed if I take out my camera. I rarely use the flash...but if I wanted to I wouldn't hesitate. Of course the only reason I'd ever photograph food is to share with my foodie friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I never use flash when taking pictures in a restaurant. I do it discreetly, and mind my own plate.
But I saw many times people taking pictures of events like birthdays, anniversaries or other celebrations. Multiple group pictures.
Did it ever bothered me? Of course not!
Seeing a crack or tank shirt of some disheveled guy with a head cap, running kids between tables, people loudly speaking on the phone - that irritates me much more.
I think that the whole "flash distraction" is just a cover. Some chefs might just not like when people take pictures of their culinary creations and then try to imitate them. As we know, some recipes are kept secret.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,844 times
Being that I'm overweight as it is, the last thing I need to do is reinforce the stereotype that I just sit around and eat all day by posting food pictures, . So no, I don't take pictures of food.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:44 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I am not sure why I didn't see this article back in January (was I living under a rock?) because I have strong opinions about this.

My thing is, long before "food gramming" or whatever became popular, I would take photos whenever we went out & eat, you know, "silly clicks." I was just documenting the memories of my life. Are they that big of a deal, of course not, but I've always loved looking back at photos of our exploits over the years, reliving the memories. Photos of such silly everyday stuff helps enhance that. I remember taking lots of silly photos of us bowling, and yes with a flash, because the camera was a simple point & shoot and such was necessary. No one complained, thank goodness.

I think anymore people complain too much frankly. Since when does someone else taking a photo bother someone that much? What has gotten into people? My thing is this--I'm not a prick, really I'm not, but if someone taking photos, even flash photos, of what they're eating is that bothersome to you, unless it's a really "uptown" restaurant with extremely quiet & dark atmosphere etc, frankly you're just too freaking sensitive. Believe me, I understand atmosphere, for one I pride myself on making my kids be quiet & civilized at the restaurant, even a Chuck-E-Cheese sort of place, but gee whiz, come on--if something this small bothers you that much, you need a therapist. And yes, I've done so with a DSLR--why not? I don't like crappy cameras, I like the GOOD stuff, and that's what I typically use. (That said, more recently I've taken to using a Sony NEX-C3 and its high-ISO performance is outstanding, and the photos look better WITHOUT a flash with a camera like that, so I have no problem with the no-flash route in such cases.)

I do have an experience to relay. Last year on my wife's birthday we went to eat at a nicer Italian place. Understand--although it's a nicer place, it's not hard-core upscale like a 5-star type of place, it's just sort of like a Red Lobster or the like, that caliber. Not only that, it was in a small town, a very laid-back sort of place. It wasn't a very dimly lit place or the like, and most of all, there were no customers besides us. We were it.

I was taking a few photos, and the waitress told me the owner did not want me taking photos. Again, there were NO CUSTOMERS, and the place wasn't dark or the like. He just didn't want it. I had never heard of any such thing in my life. I mean, it was my wife's birthday, I have ALWAYS taken photos of what we do on her birthday so as to remember it. It's a huge part of who & what I am & there's nothing wrong with it. Fortunately we hadn't ordered yet (hadn't even yet gotten courtesy bread or water etc), and I left--and let them know why.

Yes it's his place and he can do what he wants pretty much, it's his prerogative as he's the property owner, but that doesn't make it right. Once upon a time, restaurants could ban African-Americans if they wanted to, but that doesn't mean it was RIGHT. Same here.

LRH

Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I take pics of the food I eat in restaurants often. Just as a diary type reason, and I never use flash.
Yes, exactly. I am the same. I often have a have a pocket camera with me that I purchased expressly for its ability to take good closeup pictures with available light. And when I don't, I always have my smartphone with me, and it does nearly as well... without flash!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Personally I see nothing wrong with it. They are having fun *gasp*

As far as food, if you take a picture with flash you've ruined the shot anyway. Just saying.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Too much of
this going on and not enough enjoying the moment. Or the food.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
I rarely take pictures at restaurants because I feel uncomfortable. I take pictures of foods I cook all the time though. Sometimes it's too purdy to just be eaten!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Too much of
this going on and not enough enjoying the moment. Or the food.
And that is nobody's business either, frankly. (Although the scene you see in the thumbnail "preview," where the girl's on the hill checking out the view & the guy doesn't even notice her, I was like "dude, that girl's HOT, why are you talking on the phone, you should be flirting with her," ha ha.)

Some people are into taking photos of everything, like me. (I know hobbyist photographers who can easily take 1000-2000 shots per DAY if on vacation.) Some are like my mother, who is so huge into the "enjoy the moment vs looking at it through a camera" point of view that I've known her to go on a week's vacation and take maybe 10 photos, less than 2 per DAY.

The people who are into "enjoying the moment," I'm not nagging the likes of them "why don't you take more photos, you'll want them later," I mind my own business & leave them to be what they are. Those who like to click away deserve the same courtesy.

Regarding "upscale restaurant" behavior, phones or cameras: yes there can be concerns, in extreme cases, if the behavior is to where it's as bad as unruly children or teenagers getting in a foot fight would be. If you're talking about someone talking on the phone shouting at a high volume "YEAH THAT GIRL & I WERE BUMPING ALL NIGHT & THEN I DID HER SISTER" & such, or a phone rings multiple times & they don't answer it, that can be disruptive. If someone is firing high-powered camera strobes in a very dimly-lit place multiple times, then of course that's a thing. (If it's just once or maybe twice, I say let it go, and if it's not a dimly lit place, what's the big deal?)

But otherwise, it's not any of your business. Further, to me, if you're not talking about a quiet "upscale" restaurant & it has a "lively" or "laid back" atmosphere, then pretty much anything is okay. Regardless, atmosphere/context can change things somewhat (even if it's a "laid back" place, if it's empty & quiet, by nature you're apt to be somewhat quieter vs if it had numerous people during a rush etc).

Just the same, I only use real cameras anyway. Smartphone cameras are too lacking in quality, even for a snapshot, for me to mess around with. It's a DSLR or "mirrorless" (Sony NEX) for me.

At any rate, some people are into taking photos of everything, that's how they get their fun, & it's harmless, even if the photos stink. I'm into hobbyist photography as a hobby & know that I'm in good company in terms of such numbers. It's nothing for someone who's into photography as a hobby to easily take 1000 photos in a DAY (on my last trip I averaged probably 150-200). There's a reason they sell 32G and 64G memory cards. With memory getting cheaper all the time (32G SD cards for $20, 2G portable hard drives for $80) & cameras no longer really having the "lag" of earlier models, I say click away however much (or little) you feel.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 08-29-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I've been a server in NYC, where restaurants tend to be really small and tables are very close together. A constant barrage of flashes is disruptive. Plus, it's probably the least appetizing way to photograph food, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink