Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times

Advertisements

...Im a bit of a water hog as far as always drinking and having water with me, lol.. i consume at least 100 oz a day ...for me and my wife and our 2 little girls, fluoride in the water always bothered us, as it 2 builds up in ones body, and at 44 and having arthritis the past 15+ years, I looked into installing a whole house water filter system.. seams removing fluoride is like removing water from warer... one of the hardest to remove.. i did look into reverse osmosis, but the smallest whole house unit starts at 3k plus.. and I'm sure we would need quiet a bit larger $$$$ so what i just finished installing this past weekend is a 2 tank media system with a .35 micro filter before the tanks...and now that it's on line I have to say it kinda shocked me...i mean for years we have been using a DuPont 3 filter system in out kitchen for drinking water, knowing it will not remove fluoride but most of the other crap in our water..it is 2 carbon filters and 1 micro filter and i always keep up with changing the pricey filters..well this new filter system blows it away, Crystal clear and zero smell at all taps.. the water in the shower even feels better, hard to describe, the water feels a little slicker...smoother, hard to pin down.. but sure feels better..this is the system and where i purchased it, not cheap...but their sure are way more expensive ways to filter for fluoride for sure..also if you check this link read the 2 review who has been using it for the last 2 years..

http://www.vitasalus.net/vitasalus-pure ... ster-combo

the fluride master is good for around 400k or 4 years media wise... so last week i checked what my water metter was at, just to see what a tipical winter weeks water usage is.. and as of this mouring we had used 1,120 in just a little over 1 week...kinda blows ones mind when you see how much water we do use..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Personally, no. We live in an apartment. We could put a Brita in use or something but we don't. We only filter the water for coffee (actually, it has a built in filter) because we have hard water and it kills the coffee makers, and we prefer the taste of the coffee with filtered water, but other than that, nope. I suppose I should care but I have enough to worry about, honestly. I get why people install filters and drink bottled water and all that but it's just not a priority for us.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I've been wanting reverse osmosis. Currently, I buy reverse-osmosis water for the cat's drinking water, though. I figure her little kidneys can't take anywhere as much as mine can.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
We used to live in an area with really nasty drinking water, so we had a reverse osmosis system installed at our kitchen sink. I we loved it. Ours wasn't but a few hundred dollars. Since we left that part of the country, we haven't bothered. I tried using a Britta filter (the kind attached to the faucet) for a while, but it leaked and was a real pain. Then we bought a new faucet, and one doesn't fit on it. I hate dealing with the pitchers, but I've recently considered going back to one of those.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
No we don't. I drink my tap water but eventually my husband wants to install a water filtration system for the whole house.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
I've always drunk unfiltered tap water wherever I've lived. I'm lazy like that.

But then I moved into a house that had a whole-house filter -- or maybe it's not whole house? The filter is in the basement, and there's a separate tap at the kitchen sink for the filtered water. So I tried it. I don't really notice a difference in taste, but I think it also bypasses the water softener. The weird thing, is you know when the filter needs to be changed -- it starts smelling like rotten eggs and gets a little yellow. Yuck. So I've gotten lazy again and just drink/use regular tap water.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
...Im a bit of a water hog as far as always drinking and having water with me, lol.. i consume at least 100 oz a day ...
You may have already checked this for yourself, but your comment raised a red flag for me... if you really mean that you drink more than 12 glasses of water a day, that's quite unusual, and could indicate a health issue causing excessive thirst, such as diabetes or thyroid issues.

As a matter of fact, the old dictum to drink 8 glasses of water a day is being challenged by new research that indicates that drinking that much water strips the body of vitamins and minerals, requiring careful supplementation to offset.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
At 72 years old I drink tap water and always have. I may take bottled water with me if I am going out for a walk or to a sports event other than that it is our regular tap water .

Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You may have already checked this for yourself, but your comment raised a red flag for me... if you really mean that you drink more than 12 glasses of water a day, that's quite unusual, and could indicate a health issue causing excessive thirst, such as diabetes or thyroid issues.

As a matter of fact, the old dictum to drink 8 glasses of water a day is being challenged by new research that indicates that drinking that much water strips the body of vitamins and minerals, requiring careful supplementation to offset.
you may be right as thirst being a problem, but i have been like this for years, nothing recent...also i remember a professor years ago that looked into his insane thirst and it turned out to be the fluoride in his water driving it, once he got away from fluoride it went away, soo im hoping it does for me as well, will see...thanks...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
We have a fridge with a filter in it and ice maker and just use the filtered water. (replace the fliter when needed, I just did it last weekend). Other than that, we use bottled waters as well particularly for walks, while working out, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink