Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

The corn oil has worked brilliantly. No more caked food on pans, even after making a big, gooey, cheesy omelette for the SO. In that case, I did need to add a bit of water to the pan to brush out the remnants of cheese after scraping... amazingly, a fast swishing of water with a bit of brush scraping & the pan still gleamed with the corn oil I'd rubbed in earlier. The texture of this oil is so much better than any other I'd used... it coats perfectly.

Haven't cooked in the Dutch oven yet, but I'll be making a roast after the weekend & I'm sure the results will be the same. Once again, thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
The corn oil has worked brilliantly. No more caked food on pans, even after making a big, gooey, cheesy omelette for the SO. In that case, I did need to add a bit of water to the pan to brush out the remnants of cheese after scraping... amazingly, a fast swishing of water with a bit of brush scraping & the pan still gleamed with the corn oil I'd rubbed in earlier. The texture of this oil is so much better than any other I'd used... it coats perfectly.
It's sometimes hard to explain why one thing works so much better than another, but there can be huge differences in the way seemingly similar ingredients work.

Specifically, to anyone who cooks only with olive oil... it will make your cast iron pan gummy if you try to "season" the pan with it. Do yourself a favor and buy a small bottle of corn oil to use for seasoning your pan.

Quote:
Haven't cooked in the Dutch oven yet, but I'll be making a roast after the weekend & I'm sure the results will be the same. Once again, thank you very much!
You are very welcome. I'm always glad to help when I can.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Specifically, to anyone who cooks only with olive oil... it will make your cast iron pan gummy if you try to "season" the pan with it. Do yourself a favor and buy a small bottle of corn oil to use for seasoning your pan.
Oh, yes, I'll definitely get use from this bottle of corn oil. I've been seasoning regularly & it's so easy I'm now mad I've been using shortening or that horrid smelling lard for 2-yrs now... it's what mum & grandmum used, so it's just a habit.

I also just coated my Sasquatch-sized, wooden cutting board last night... it was a gift & apparently people think I cook for 30 at a time. Took 6 capsful of corn oil... then I ran over the wooden spoons with the saturated paper towel... so all is cured, seasoned & cleaned in the Patanjali household.

By the way, I just purchased 2 used books by Michael Ruhlman... 'Ratios' & '20 Techniques 100 Recipes'. The ratios book, in particular, looks like it would be helpful in any kitchen.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Oh, yes, I'll definitely get use from this bottle of corn oil. I've been seasoning regularly & it's so easy I'm now mad I've been using shortening or that horrid smelling lard for 2-yrs now... it's what mum & grandmum used, so it's just a habit.
Yeah, but now you've got it figured out, and that's what counts.

Quote:
I also just coated my Sasquatch-sized, wooden cutting board last night... it was a gift & apparently people think I cook for 30 at a time. Took 6 capsful of corn oil... then I ran over the wooden spoons with the saturated paper towel... so all is cured, seasoned & cleaned in the Patanjali household.
Wellllllll... I suggest a different oil for that purpose.

I use mineral oil on wooden cutting board, salad bowls, etc. It's tasteless, odorless, repels water, doesn't support bacterial growth or mold, and best of all, it won't ever turn rancid (oxidize and get smelly) like organic oils do. Manufacturers of cutting boards all recommend it.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I use mineral oil on wooden cutting board, salad bowls, etc. It's tasteless, odorless, repels water, doesn't support bacterial growth or mold, and best of all, it won't ever turn rancid (oxidize and get smelly) like organic oils do. Manufacturers of cutting boards all recommend it.
I had no idea. Perfect. Thank you again, OD! I do have mineral oil (which I purchased for another purpose (read about covering counter tops in min oil to avoid streaking... yikes & yuck!), but it didn't work out, so there the bottle sits)... I love being able to save a few $. Great info. I appreciate it very much!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 508 times
I purchased a Staub, cast iron, enamel Dutch oven. It came preseasoned. I rinsed, swiped, coated with oil, set in the oven, per suggestion in paperwork, even though preseasoned.
I slow cooker a roast, little water with spices.
It had a metallic taste. Forty minutes later I was terribly ill. Thought I was going to lose my dinner. I was ill for 12 hours.
I am inclined to believe it was the water transferring the metal taste to the roast.
So I spent nearly 400. For a pan that made me ill. I will never use it again.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovykarma View Post
I purchased a Staub, cast iron, enamel Dutch oven. It came preseasoned. I rinsed, swiped, coated with oil, set in the oven, per suggestion in paperwork, even though preseasoned.
I slow cooker a roast, little water with spices.
It had a metallic taste. Forty minutes later I was terribly ill. Thought I was going to lose my dinner. I was ill for 12 hours.
I am inclined to believe it was the water transferring the metal taste to the roast.
So I spent nearly 400. For a pan that made me ill. I will never use it again.
The Staub French oven has a black matte enameled interior, so the cast iron doesn't come in contact with your food.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I think for pot roasts that you like to slow cook, you might want a different pot. You could try an enamel over iron, for instance. They can be had at several price points. Or you could try using a slow cooker for your roast. You can use regular iron for everything else.

I too run anemic. I take a couple of iron pills every day now. It has made a big improvement. If you, like me, tend to lack iron, you almost have to take a supplement to get your level very high. At least that has been my experience.

I also want to mention that I get a pervasive metallic taste when I take too strong an antihistamine. Zyrtec is a chief offender.

At any rate, buy another pot for your pot roast. That's my advice.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The Staub French oven has a black matte enameled interior, so the cast iron doesn't come in contact with your food.
My money is on ingredients or storage not the pot.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
...You could try an enamel over iron, for instance...
The Staub is enamel over iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink