Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times

Advertisements

Tonight we had mixed salad greens, a big tasty sirloin, and Velveeta Shells and Cheese. I wanted to do potatoes au gratin as a side but SO wanted mac n' cheese... so, I gave in, and now he is full n' happy!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Tonight we had mixed salad greens, a big tasty sirloin, and Velveeta Shells and Cheese. I wanted to do potatoes au gratin as a side but SO wanted mac n' cheese... so, I gave in, and now he is full n' happy!
macncheese best food ever!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
It was pizza..... the left overs from my Folk's.... I am not doin' so hot. Actually waiting for the doc to call.... Killing time now..... don't know if it is kidney stones or what.... but what ever it is it stinks..... blah..... and let me tell ya I should have called about three hours ago when I was wishing it away and he was in the office..... I am an idiot.... Now I am cursing myself.... dag nabit.... at least everyone is fed......
Oh, goodness, my dear, I surely hope it's NOT kidney stones. I have not been cursed with that malady, thankfully, but have been told by an ex-Marine who has a higher pain threshold than anyone I've ever met that it reduced him to tears. I hope that you obtain speedy and complete relief, and that it proves to be something much less challenging than kidney stones to deal with.

And when you are feeling better, I'll read you that lecture that goes "if you don't take care of yourself, how ever are you going to take care of everyone else?" But that can wait until you're back to your usual fine and feisty self.

Hugs, skbs, and please know we're thinking of you! If you can, keep us posted.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Lacey I would take the cheeseburger over a steak as well. I like steak too but if I had to choose 1 it would be the burger. Orrichette pasta what is that please?

deckdoc it will be awhile before we do any grilling up here. You are correct we have quite a few men on this thread that do cook and one that we love who use to before the ahem fire.

spiderbear hope DH cooks you something really great.

lola that would be a good meal to make when you need to take out some frustrations.

YLisa the bummer even more is men lose weight usually quicker than women too. Good luck on the weight loss.

skbs I hope it is not kidney stones those are painful. Get better soon so that means you need to rest.

burdell that would be a good deal for people not wanting to buy a whole cake too that are watching their weight! A little indulgence without the guilt of eating the whole thing so it would not go to "waist/waste". Get it waist.

Country BBQ ribs, carrots, corn and cottage cheese. Finished off the cheesecake and peach pie between all of us for dessert. Have swim meets the next 2 nights so thought I better save the veggie soup for one of those. It will be a quick heat up while showers get going.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,381 times
Tonight I made the Ultimate Meatloaf, mashed potatos, and peas Been running around busy... Sorry I have been meaning to make time to get on here... Good intentions ya know ha ha Who has that darn kitchen fairy??!!! I have been waiting and waiting for her to do her magic Sweet Dreams Foodies

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Amber, please share the ultimate meatloaf recipe!!!! (I made one the other day that was really good - and then (since I don't measure) had to try to remember what I did!)

Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,381 times

Ultimate Meatloaf

Ingredients

Tomato Relish:
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced
  • 2 tomatoes, halved, seeded, and finely diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Meatloaf:
  • 3 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into chunks by hand
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 2 eggs
  • Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 to 4 bacon slices
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat a skillet with a 2-count of oil and place over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and bay leaves for a few minutes to create a base flavor. Throw in the red peppers and cook them for a couple of minutes to soften. Now add the tomatoes; adding them at this point lets them hold their shape and prevents them from disintegrating. Stir in the parsley, ketchup, and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the relish for 5 minutes to pull all the flavors together. Remove it from the heat; you should have about 4 cups of relish.
Place the torn white bread in a bowl and add the milk to just barely cover, swish the bread around in the milk and let it sit while you get the rest of the ingredients for the meat loaf together.
This is where you get your hands dirty! In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork with 1 1/2 cups of the tomato relish, the eggs, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and add the soaked bread to the meat mixture. To test, fry a small "hamburger" patty of the meatloaf until cooked; the patty should hold together but still have a soft consistency. Taste the patty for seasoning.
Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Transfer the meat mixture to the center of the cookie sheet and form into a log about 9 inches long and about 4 inches wide. Coat the top of the meatloaf with another 1/2 cup of the tomato relish. Lay the bacon across the top lengthwise.
Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the bacon is crisp and the meatloaf is firm. Rotate the meat loaf while it's baking every now and then to insure that the bacon browns evenly. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it cool a bit before slicing. Serve with the remaining tomato relish on the side. Unbelievably moist!

*Kats I think the relish is what realy makes it I still do brown gravy too. Comfort food ya know

Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I just made a PB&J sandwich with low sugar apricot preserves..Just an extension to dinner...sometimes PB will help me sleep...

Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Amber - Thanks for that recipe!!! I will most certainly be trying this one - and also wondering what else I can do with the relish!!! Thanks gal!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Morning all-

Jaxson-orrichette is pasta they call "little ears". They are smallish and shaped like ears and hold sauce very well.

Amber-miss ya but glad you showed up.

SKBS hope you feel better today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink