Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 07:58 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times

Advertisements

We went to a Pig Roast. It was so good. Piggy on a spit, slowly turning around for several hours over a fire. Yum. Everyone brought a dish so there was lots of accompaniments - coleslaw, grilled veggies, salads, applesauce, plum sauce, potatoes that had been wrapped in foil and buried in the hot ashes. Lots of good company, some friends we hadn't seen in a while. Wonderful evening.

Now, to bed for me. You guys are all just waking up!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,682 times
Got up this morning and was thinking about baking homemade Italian bread today. It will be a six out job. But if I make at least 8 loafs, it would be worth it.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Cyn-I am truly so sorry about Sadie. Your post gave me chills. Take care of her and YOURSELF. I am sorry that you haven't hooked up with Amber yet and will miss the party. I am sure everyone understands.

I have no idea what is for dinner tonight. Saturdays are usually a free-for-all. DD#3 is up north working at a craft fair so it will be something simple or something out, which is also simple.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
To all the feathery and furry ones good thoughts coming your way

I enjoyed the pizza I made last night. Actually, could have eaten the whole thing

Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Vichel, your night sounds like paradise to me!

This morning I have to go to the grocery store to grab a few things and then it's time to kick off the cooking extravaganze weekend. For all I know, in Dallas, this will be the last weekend of "winter" before it turns into all lovely, all the time, before it turns into the raging fires of Hades. So I am going to fill my freezer with a huge pot of spaghetti gravy portioned out in 4 cup containers, and I'm also going to cook corned beef and cabbage tomorrow, and I am feeling desserty too. I also want to make some kind of soup, maybe potato leek? Will depend what looks good at the store, but something I can pack in my Mr. Bento next week.

The only problem is all those dishes to wash...

Hmm.. this is probably a good time to think about the self-cleaning oven cycle as well...

Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
O Cyn- tears here for your anguish over your beloved Sadie. I am so, so sorry to hear that the tests are not yielding good news, and I ache for your grief. I think there is very little in this world that is more difficult than to watch a beloved pet suffer, knowing that the poor creature doesn't understand why or what is going on, only that they feel rotten. I will hold you and Sadie close within my heart, hoping against hope for peace and healing for you both. Sending hugs your way (and some for Amber, too, when you and she connect at last). Take care of yourself, dear friend.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think I know.....arroz is rice and I am guessing gandules might be beans but you have me stumped with the tostones....and the pernil. I bet it was delicious....and enjoy the leftovers.
Thanks!

Sorry, rice and pigeon peas. Pernil is roasted pork and tostones are fried plantains. Cuban/Puerto Rican food.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Cyn -- so sorry. And for you too elston. It has been a hard week for pets around here.

Vichel -- I wish I could've been there!

Last night we went to a seafood place for happy hour and got: oysters, crab cakes, and a half pound of peel and eat shrimp. Yummy! The extra dirty vodka martinis went down nicely too.

Tonight we are having friends over to watch Syracuse play in the Big East basketball championship. We are doing chicken thighs in the crock pot, with cole slaw, potato salad, rolls.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Debsi wow you are going to be busy but I don't blame you either for getting stuff ahead.

gym rat I don't make my bread any longer my oldest was the huge bread eater around here. It just goes to waste now but I miss the smell of bread day.

cyn you are getting hit with a whammy right now. So happy with amber coming to visit then Sadie getting sick I am sorry you are missing family time.

Don't have a clue about supper yet kids are here, there and yonder so don't know when they will be home. Nothing is floating my boat to want to make it either hmmmm maybe it is an eat out night.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:56 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
We went to a Pig Roast. It was so good. Piggy on a spit, slowly turning around for several hours over a fire. Yum. Everyone brought a dish so there was lots of accompaniments - coleslaw, grilled veggies, salads, applesauce, plum sauce, potatoes that had been wrapped in foil and buried in the hot ashes. Lots of good company, some friends we hadn't seen in a while. Wonderful evening.

Now, to bed for me. You guys are all just waking up!
I so miss those great social events like this we had when living in the mid west here in the states. The pig was cooked up to a week at low temp and would be so moist and tender...

Tonight's dinner will be the second BBQ chicken I did on the Weber..Wife has promised potato salad to go with it. I'm hoping for that cheesy spinach I've been waiting on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink