Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

"For A Change" tonight will be spaghetti with a meat sauce and sweet Italian Sausage patties, (I might scramble up the hamburg and sausage meat and add some green pepper.)

I have lots of fresh sage growing in the garden.....do any of you chefs have a recipe that uses fresh sage? I tend to grow it but not to use it.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
After a brief appraisal of the kitchen I've decided to try to make a white type sauce with some low fat, low sodium cream of chicken soup. I think with some mushrooms and whole grain thin pasta it might just be edible. I'll side that up with some brussel sprouts and call it good (I hope). I'm eyeing some artichokes at the market. Anyone here use them? It will be our first time trying and I'm a little in the dark about what to do with them.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Elston-I use sage in my spaghetti sauce, turkey, stuffing and they say it's great with beef.

Noma-I cooked artichokes once-they were good but lots of work so now I get frozen-LOL.

Tonight is Cheers night for us-maybe-right now it is black and threatening. If we don't go it'll be Pasta Fagioli and crusty bread.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Granted, this is after-the-fact, but last night's dinner turned out well, if I do brag on myself. I am tickled I pulled it off, as I had originally wanted hubby to take me to grab a bite somewhere, but changed my mind when the thunderstorms rolled-in at about dinner time.

I scrounged-around in the fridge, and made spinach/onion/mushroom/Swiss cheese omelettes that were delicious. I had a baked potato I had saved from the other night, and made hash browns with it, and some of the onion. Some sliced, summer tomatoes, and we were set! For dessert, it was sliced strawberries and blueberries with some lite Cool Whip.

Not bad for a throw-together meal, huh? Now, maybe tonight he'll treat me 'out.' I have no clue what I'd do for a 'repeat.'

Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
There is something very addicting about artichokes for me! I love, love them! Yes, they do require a little work to eat them....but then you get to the heart and it's pure heaven! Many people like to dip the leaves and the heart in melted butter---I prefer mayonaise. Just boil them for about 45 minutes, depending on size. When the leaves start falling off or you can easily remove them it's done. You can add a variety of herbs to the water if you choose. Be sure to cut the very top off the artichoke and trim the stem to about 1/2-1 inch. Pick artichokes that are heavy for their size and are tightly closed. Rinse well before cooking as you never know what might be hiding under the leaves.When you eat the leaves all away and get to the heart take a spoon and scrape off all the little fibers to get to the meat of the heart. You can eat the heart and right down to part of the stem--don't be shy--eat as much as you can! I'd be eating a lot more but the prices here in NC are so high compared to what I use to pay in CA...although I have seen some beauties here!! Yum!!

When you eat the leaves just scrape the soft underside with your teeth to remove that wonderful flesh on the underside and throw the rest of the leave away.

They are almost a meal all by themselves!!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Are they like avacodos? Nothing else tastes anywhere near that of the avacodo. I must try them. Maybe this weekend if they are available. Even frozen ones if need be. I'm looking at them and thinking "Swamp Cabbage". Still I'm curious.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM

They are a taste of their own. I would suggest you get the fresh artichokes. Fresh of anything is the best and for your first time trying them go fresh!! They aren't like an avocado. I also love avocados! They are just really good. The plants of the artichokes have the most beautiful blossoms. They even sell the blossoms for decorating. The plants grow best in coastal areas but no way in a swamp like area. They require good drainage. There is a lot of information online if you are curious!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Cyn's right-two totally different tastes. I am addicted to avocadoes! When I did the artichokes I stuffed them (breadcrumbs/olive oil, parm ch, garlic).

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM

I don't know if you have Harris Teeter stores in your area but they have had some real nice looking artichokes lately!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Are they like avacodos? Nothing else tastes anywhere near that of the avacodo. I must try them. Maybe this weekend if they are available. Even frozen ones if need be. I'm looking at them and thinking "Swamp Cabbage". Still I'm curious.
swamp cabbage......DH is getting ready to cut down a cabbage palm this weekend, I sure will be making some! Its really quite yummy, sauteed with olive oil and garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink