Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,280,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Can't you do the same with cornstarch instead of flour. Seems like those with wheat allergies do this.
My mother uses cornstarch. I just prefer the texture and look with the flour. But, yes, by all means...cornstarch does work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I usually use one of my rubbermaid salad dressing shakers.

It probably tastes the same either way you do it, but I am too impatient for the half hour method.
LOL..I'm not the most patient person either. That's why I put together the flour and water about the same time I turn on the potatoes so both are "cooking" at the same time!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 PM

7,340 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Had an extremely busy Friday night graveyards and Saturday day shift at work. Darn sure didn't feel like cooking....so...took a container of homemade sauce out of the freezer and fixed spaghetti and garlic bread. Will have a glass of wine and then off to bed with hopes I can at least have Sunday off before going back to work. Hope you all have a wonderful evening.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times
I see some talk about pecan pie here! I bought a huge one this afternoon at Costco.
I'm going to my girlfriend's on Thursday and I get to take some dessert. The pecan pie looked so good, I just had to have it. I'm also giving her the turkey. Everybody at work got a free turkey and since I don't cook regular food, imagine what I'd do to a turkey.

Actually, I'll tell you a story. The first year my ex and I were together (7 years ago) I decided I was making the Thanksgiving dinner, turkey and all! We had friends and family coming and since I am so good in the kitchen, he put up a "clothesline" from one side of the wall to the other with all the different recipes hanging so I could just keep going from one to the other with just my eyes. He's a Spanish food cooker so he wasn't any help with the turkey or stuffing or green beans or sweet potato or anything.

To make a longggggggg story short........ I burnt the turkey and the green beans were hideous and the sweet potato was lumpy and we ended up with what could be eaten from the turkey, rice, black beans and fried plaintains!

Wanna hear another one? The following year HE said he was making the turkey. He made TWO in the smoker. You know what he did? Just before serving them, he went and split them up and opened them like they were flattened birds! When I saw that I almost cried. They tasted like ham too but I was really upset. Everybody else brought the rest of the fixings and I had bought some other things already made.

I've never "cooked" for thanksgiving again!

Thank goodness my girlfriend is a GREAT cook so SHE can make the turkey this year!

BTW....tonight was chicken cutlets a la George Foreman!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:56 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,704,613 times
Sounds like you have it under control this year vpcats. I like smoked turkey or deep fried turkey. I eat regular baked turkey but would much rather have an injected and deep fried bird. The only problem is the overly priced peanut oil. nearly $30 for 3 gallons changed my mind to fix only one turkey.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have it under control this year vpcats. I like smoked turkey or deep fried turkey. I eat regular baked turkey but would much rather have an injected and deep fried bird. The only problem is the overly priced peanut oil. nearly $30 for 3 gallons changed my mind to fix only one turkey.
Wow Nomad! THAT much? That's crazy. Fried anything is not so good for you anyway. Right?

BTW......gotta tell Amberbaby....bought the baking dish today. I'd been wanting one of those anyway. I just need to get that 32 oz bottle of sauce and I'll be reporting on this experiment tomorrow night. I especially like the idea about freezing some of it for another dinner. That's what I need to have on hand for weeknights!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Wow Nomad! THAT much? That's crazy. Fried anything is not so good for you anyway. Right?
My doc says go for fried turkey. It is no more fatty than one baked when you think about it. You don't coat one and there is nothing to hold the grease on it. It has the good flavor without soaking up the grease. Nummy to me tummy.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,950,508 times
We ended up just having Velveeta shells and cheese!

To thicken up something like a beef stew we take some of theliquid out of whatever is cooking, wisk in some flour til it thickens, and then pur it back into the stew or whatever

Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
We ended up just having Velveeta shells and cheese!

To thicken up something like a beef stew we take some of theliquid out of whatever is cooking, wisk in some flour til it thickens, and then pur it back into the stew or whatever
Velveeta, someone having Velveeta and I didn't get an invite.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Can't you do the same with cornstarch instead of flour. Seems like those with wheat allergies do this.

I'm sure you can, my Mom always used cornstarch when making her versions of Chow Mein or Chop Suey. For beefy stew kinda things I just prefer the texture/taste of flour, just never knew the flour/water method was an option, always associated flour with oil/butter.

So we have proof, you can teach an aging dog new tricks!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,208,255 times
Went to friend's tonight for lasagna, peas, slaw, cranberry jello salad and turtle cookies for dessert. Asked for the cookie recipe was told they were a frozen package kind.

We were blessed with an Angel Food box today didn't know there were eggs in it so they got frozen sitting in the car all day then half of tonight. I said I would have to pitch them a friend said they are safe to bake with I told them I was going to ask some experts.

Attention experts...... what is your thinking?

Oh yeah the kids and I dropped of food and shower items to the women's shelter!

26° here now brrrrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink