Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,168,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
MWBW - I loved reading your pie story. You are a gifted writer.

Dinner tonight will be chicken noodle soup with matzo balls, raisin challah, roast chicken with cranberry acorn squash and garlic mashed potatoes. Dessert will be leftover coconut cake - not quite traditional, but I want to use it up while it's still nice and fresh.

I already made kugel and cucumber salad for tomorrow night's dinner. That may be all we eat, if my overnight shipment of fresh fish from the east coast doesn't get here! If all goes according to plan, dinner tomorrow night will be bagels, lox, scallion cream cheese, onions, whitefish, sable, smoked salmon, cucumber salad and kugel.

May I come for dinner tomorrow night? That sounds soooooo good. reminds me of some meals in NY

Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
That bad little chocolate fairy visits your house too?

Sometimes it's a wrasslin' match but I usually rise to the occasion when there's chocolate involved

Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times
I use one of those Have a Heart live traps and don't turn the chocolate fairy loose until he drops the goods. Then open the door and let him go to make more...... You have to be creative with these situations....

Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,168,785 times
I've read about 8 pages here tonight. It was like reading the menus from all different restaurants and you are all such good, creative cooks and bakers! WOW! Unbelievable. I read the posts and all I can do is shake my head. How do you all come up with these combinations and ideas? It's wonderful! Thank you!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,341,326 times
Having just commented on the leftovers thread, I thought I'd stop over here and observe that supper is leftover pozole, which will likely taste even better than it did the first day we ate it, now that the flavors have had a chance to mingle.

Thanks for the nice comments and the rep points about the pies, all - I could either laugh or cry about it, and I figured that laughter was the better option. My friend was simply delighted with her birthday pies, ate a big piece of each, and will never know that she only saw two-thirds of the pies I actually baked. I sent the leftovers home with her to share with her family, and the BookWorm family will eat sugar-free blueberry pie with ice cream, I think. And I will NOT hurry the next time I bake!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I use one of those Have a Heart live traps and don't turn the chocolate fairy loose until he drops the goods. Then open the door and let him go to make more...... You have to be creative with these situations....

Ransom paid in 70% cacao, THAT'sthe ticket

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I've read about 8 pages here tonight. It was like reading the menus from all different restaurants and you are all such good, creative cooks and bakers! WOW! Unbelievable. I read the posts and all I can do is shake my head. How do you all come up with these combinations and ideas? It's wonderful! Thank you!

I would like to second this. Well put VPCATS Here are my notes so far after reading 8 pages to catch up:

Debsi fresh bread is the BEST, but you had me at horseradish!
MWBW friends like you are hard to find! Like a diamond in the rough. I mean it!
SKBS Yes! Deep dish pizza casserole! Hey I read on to see your grease comment...... and thought maybe sub ground chicken or turkey for beef next time
Charley ha ha LOL your little diddy was very clever. Made me smile...
Lacey save me a bowl of turkey soup drool! I can't wait for turkey day!
HighlandsGal pesto in ice cube trays! What a great idea!! You go girl
Nomad no choclate pudding hmmmmmm
Elston your trip must have been so nice and the food discription made my tummy growl grrrr ha ha
Mom I am sure you look just fine! No biggie two weeks will fly byI heart you!

Last edited by amberbaby27; 10-08-2008 at 09:09 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 PM

58 posts, read 193,269 times
Anybody know the recipe for koogli? It's a Lithuanian potato dish.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,221 times
Hank could this be it? I did a little research and this is what I found Oh yeah WELCOME!

Lithuanian Kugelis

• 1 pound bacon, diced
  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 6 eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place bacon in a Dutch oven set over medium heat, cover, and cook until the bacon has softened and begun to release it's grease. Stir in the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Remove the cover, and continue cooking and stirring until the mixture caramelizes and turns a deep, golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in butter to melt.
  3. Stir shredded potatoes into the onion mixture, then stir in the evaporated milk and eggs until well combined. Pour into a 9x13-inch glass baking dish.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until golden on top. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into 3x3-inch squares. Serve hot.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,031,892 times
very tardy reporting in on the smoked turkey, sorry about that, have a HUGE new client, been very busy.....
Anyway, it was delish! We deboned it after the Sunday meal, I made turkey salad, and will make soup next week.
Its been takeout this week, but, hey, I'm working, which is more than quite a few of my collegues can say right now.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink