Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM

560 posts, read 1,131,145 times

Advertisements

Acquired taste to me is very unusual. I eat and drink the things I did not used to like but I still get that "first unusual taste" everytime i eat or dink them. My acquired tastes are coffee, tea, cheeesecake and yams. Does anyone else have an acquired taste for something and does still taste strange or slightly off to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Tuna fish salad. Never loved it, but I would eat it. Actually, I've nearly stopped eating it. Something about the idea of fish that has been in a can for (possibly) years just began to put me right off.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
I don't get the concept of "acquired taste" because, really, if I didn't like something the first time, I'm just not going to have it again. There's no prize if you end up liking it, is there? Because, if there is, then I'll reconsider.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,183,445 times
Olives!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,377,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Acquired taste to me is very unusual. I eat and drink the things I did not used to like but I still get that "first unusual taste" everytime i eat or dink them. My acquired tastes are coffee, tea, cheeesecake and yams. Does anyone else have an acquired taste for something and does still taste strange or slightly off to you?
Kefir & yogurt-they smell a little funny, and the texture is runny, but they taste good to me once I get past how they seem at first.

Another item is macadamia nuts: when I open a new jar of them, they stink (and I won't say like what !) awfully.
Yet, when I eat them, they are delicious, yummy, perfectly fine.

Tea was an acquired taste for me,
as are alcoholic beverages (which, for the most part I still dislike, but there are a few instances I don't mind the flavor of).
Cheesecake, too-took time & repetition for me to get used to the texture & taste (since I don't like cheese, otherwise).

Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 PM

560 posts, read 1,131,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Kefir & yogurt-they smell a little funny, and the texture is runny, but they taste good to me once I get past how they seem at first.

Another item is macadamia nuts: when I open a new jar of them, they stink (and I won't say like what !) awfully.
Yet, when I eat them, they are delicious, yummy, perfectly fine.

Tea was an acquired taste for me,
as are alcoholic beverages (which, for the most part I still dislike, but there are a few instances I don't mind the flavor of).
Cheesecake, too-took time & repetition for me to get used to the texture & taste (since I don't like cheese, otherwise).
Alcohol for me too. Yogurt is something i have to be in the mood for.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,892,174 times
Sea urchin roe (Uni) - it took me three tries until I could finally swallow Uni nigiri sushi - now I'm addicted to it.
Cheesecake - I've tried it countless times and I still can't eat it.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,843,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Sea urchin roe (Uni) - it took me three tries until I could finally swallow Uni nigiri sushi - now I'm addicted to it.
Cheesecake - I've tried it countless times and I still can't eat it.
I still can't eat uni. I've tried it a lot of times. It still reminds me of the sea shore at low tide. Yet, it is a delicacy. My wife loves it. Especially fresh. Same for Natto. Which is rotten soy beans, in a slime of rot.
For her, it's fantastic. For me, it smells like old gym socks. Then again, hot sauce on a head cheese sandwich is something I can eat. I don't look for it....but I can eat it and not get sick from the thought. Head cheese is literally a jellied meat product made from a pig head.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Beer. Coffee.

Cincinnati chili.

Broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, and just about any other vegetable. I have yet to acquire a taste for brussel sprouts.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...Cincinnati chili...I have yet to acquire a taste for brussel sprouts.
Cincinnati Chili is a strange concoction but I do like it on hot dogs.

Now, about those Brussels Sprouts - they can be sweet and tender or they can be harsh and bitter depending on how mature they are and how long they have been sitting in the "fresh vegetable bin" at the grocery store. When you find some really fresh young Brussels Sprouts you might find them quite tasty. However, there are some folks who will never like them no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink