Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 PM

109 posts, read 155,507 times

Advertisements

Never tried eating the romanesco. I really find it weird and so is it's look. ha ha. Looks like cauliflower but not cauliflower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:05 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
The only exotic (to me, anyway) item was the sea buckthorn. I've never heard of it or seen it and I shop all the ethnic markets.

Enoki is a staple in our kitchen, along with the kelp. Kohlrabi is an everyday vegetable in Eastern Europe, nothing new there, and I've seen them at the farmers market here in LA area. They are quite good for anyone whose wondering about them - and the pale green ones taste better.

Anyone ever had or seen that buckthorn anywhere? Now I want to try some.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 AM

270 posts, read 593,117 times
Weird?! Really? That's pretty normal food you can buy in every Supermarket here and all of it is part of my diet. Romanesco weird? And Kohlrabi? Ruccola?

Weird food to me is Duck Tongues for example. Had them a couple of years ago and thought they were very overrated. Or escargots, frog legs, foie gras.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The sea buckthorn is something I'd never heard of. I've eaten most of the others, too, except kohlrabi and kelp, but due to expense, a lot of them aren't on the regular rotation. For example, the romescu broccoli is 2x-3x the price of regular broccoli but not 2-3x the nutrient value, and they taste almost the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The only exotic (to me, anyway) item was the sea buckthorn. I've never heard of it or seen it and I shop all the ethnic markets.

Enoki is a staple in our kitchen, along with the kelp. Kohlrabi is an everyday vegetable in Eastern Europe, nothing new there, and I've seen them at the farmers market here in LA area. They are quite good for anyone whose wondering about them - and the pale green ones taste better.

Anyone ever had or seen that buckthorn anywhere? Now I want to try some.
Other than Teff and sea buckthorn I don't think the others are weird, most of them have been
around a long time. If I do see the buckthorn I would try a sample.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
filipinos make ube, but it's a purple yam, not a potato. it can be sweet, and it's added to halo halo drinks. i've had star fruit - the ones i had were kind of sour, but good. lots of azuki bean dishes in japan - article mentions china. azuki bean ice cream is very good. and in hawaii, at the bottom of your shaved ice they sometimes add a dolop of vanilla ice cream and azuki beans. i've eaten many different varieties of seaweed. good stuff. just had lunch at a dim sum place and they had some dishes of seaweed - i grabbed two.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Tacos de tripa y buche tambien.
Uhhh.....Yum?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Weird?! Really? That's pretty normal food you can buy in every Supermarket here and all of it is part of my diet. Romanesco weird? And Kohlrabi? Ruccola?

Weird food to me is Duck Tongues for example. Had them a couple of years ago and thought they were very overrated. Or escargots, frog legs, foie gras.
Escargot is wonderful! I also like foie gras, or any liver-based pate, really. Frog legs, I can't get past the look of them, ugh.

Duck tongues, really? Must be super expensive?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:48 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
I've been eating spaghetti squash since the 80s. Purple potatoes are good, but they've been around for at least a decade. I like Brazil nuts and I will eat more, same with adzuki beans.

Dandelions are great and so nutritious. Have heard of star fruit but never tried it.

The only thing really new to me is that African food. Teff? Never saw that anywhere. But I'm game. Sounds good.

As another poster wrote, brightly colored foods are good for you. My wife makes them a lot. She made a multi-colored potato bake last night.

Growing up, everything on my plate was either white of brown with some pale green peas or string beans usually canned or a "salad" of iceberg lettuce and a pale tomato. BLAH.

Interesting and informative thread.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM

270 posts, read 593,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Escargot is wonderful! I also like foie gras, or any liver-based pate, really. Frog legs, I can't get past the look of them, ugh.

Duck tongues, really? Must be super expensive?
I like foie gras too. I actually had to get used to it, when I was living in France and Belgium, where it is a "normal" food people buy in the supermarket. But...it is very difficult to ignore how it was made, while eating it.

The Duck Tongue Salad was not that expensive. They had it on the Menu in my favourite Chinese Restaurant. Together with frog ovaries, which I've never tried. I mean, THAT is weird.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementswhiteplains View Post
Never tried eating the romanesco. I really find it weird and so is it's look. ha ha. Looks like cauliflower but not cauliflower.
Sometimes it's referred to as romanesco cauliflower or Roman cauliflower.

Some sources say it's simply a type of cauliflower, some say it's a cauliflower/broccoli cross (which might be an urban legend), and some say it's neither and that it's a separate type of brassica.

I don't think there's any definitive classification for it, and if there is, I can't find it. Its growth habit and form are much closer to cauliflower than broccoli though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The sea buckthorn is something I'd never heard of. I've eaten most of the others, too, except kohlrabi and kelp, but due to expense, a lot of them aren't on the regular rotation. For example, the romescu broccoli is 2x-3x the price of regular broccoli but not 2-3x the nutrient value, and they taste almost the same.
It's the same price as both broccoli and cauliflower here. I often find it on sale for 99 cents a head.

As far as this list goes, I don't find anything weird about anything on the list. More like 14 somewhat uncommon foods you should be eating...

Not a bad list though. I've tried everything on the list except for azuki beans.

I'm not sure we should all be eating starfruit though, unless we have a starfruit tree in our backyard. They're $2-3 each here and there's hardly any fruit in them. The ones sold in the grocery store aren't very good either. I love starfruit but it's just not worth it. And some people probably shouldn't eat them since, like grapefruit, they inhibit enzymes that can cause problems with prescription drugs. They also contain a lot of oxalic acid.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 07-30-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink