Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

My mom was pretty normal. My dad? Welllllll.......
Crushed saltine crackers and milk. I've never tried this. I'm frightened to try this.
Raw potato with salt. Peel potato, salt potato, cut off pieces, add more salt. Chew, chew, chew.
Canned tuna scrambled eggs. Said it had a lot of protein. (It's an acquired taste.)
Boiled pot pies. Not broiled. Boiled. Like the cheap ones in the tin. Dump them into boiling water. I thought it tasted like turkey flavored school paste.
Peaunut butter pancakes. These were surprisingly vile.
I'm sure I'll think of some more later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
My mom would pan fry chicken livers in butter, with dehydrated onion flakes.

Dad salted his oatmeal.

To each their own!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 AM

23 posts, read 41,546 times
My mother would go on strange food kicks -- the one I remember most was when she decided to stew milkweek pods as a "gourmet dish." Most of us in the family still have nightmares about it!

My dad was more of a "comfort food" guy - scrambled eggs with a little bit of everything thrown in, SOS (he was military), and fried spaghetti.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
My mother loved Limburger Cheese sandwiches. The smell was so bad I've never been able to try to eat one.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
My dad ate raw potato with salt. When I'm cutting up potatoes now I almost always eat one chunck with some salt. It's sort of a habit.

My mom loved mayonnaise sandwiches.

Both parents and aunts and uncles loved cornbread broken up in a glass with buttermilk on top. I think it's a Southern thing. Or maybe a "growing up during the depression" thing.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
The parents and grandparents ate Sil, which is pickled herring, on crackers. They told us kids it was Swedish turkey, so we ate it and learned to love it. We only have it at Christmas time now.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
My parents loved braunschweiger (spelling?) and liver......yuck.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My parents loved braunschweiger (spelling?) and liver......yuck.
I love braunschweiger liverwurst!!! Let's see some strange foods my dad would eat were:

Bologna sandwich with PB or cheese wiz spread.
Steak Tartar
Rabbit (though it may not be strange to many it is to me)
Venison( it may be common to many here but we were never forced to try it) If my mom thought it was Yucky then we never ate it.

My mom ate fried bologna sandwiches, bologna and butter sandwiches, butter on ritz crackers.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
My mom was pretty normal. My dad? Welllllll.......
Crushed saltine crackers and milk. I've never tried this. I'm frightened to try this.
Raw potato with salt. Peel potato, salt potato, cut off pieces, add more salt. Chew, chew, chew.
Canned tuna scrambled eggs. Said it had a lot of protein. (It's an acquired taste.)
Boiled pot pies. Not broiled. Boiled. Like the cheap ones in the tin. Dump them into boiling water. I thought it tasted like turkey flavored school paste.
Peaunut butter pancakes. These were surprisingly vile.
I'm sure I'll think of some more later.
OMG, we used to do the crushed saltines and milk as well when I was a kid. I can't imagine that today. And yes, raw potatoes with salt, and dad put salt on his grapefruit as well. I think the one thing they ate that I have never and will never try was pickled pigs feet. My mother in law loved them as well. Of course dad also like the meat fat if it was cooked crisp and he chewed grizzle (I have to admit, I crew it as well)

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My mom would pan fry chicken livers in butter, with dehydrated onion flakes.

Dad salted his oatmeal.

To each their own!
My father still puts salt in his oatmeal.

My mother likes/d to cook chicken livers by directly holding them over the small flame of the burner.

Each to their own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink