Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times

Advertisements

Oh I love it. Genius!

(Mine are a jumbled hideous mess, and I can never find what I need when I need, without going on a pantry hunt.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh thank you - here's a picture!

I ordered spice bottles and labels from Amazon. They were not expensive. Then I had my cabinet guy create a cabinet at the end of another cabinet - you only need 4" of depth to do this. He moved the doors around to the other side for the deep cabinet access and added doors and shelves to the 4 " of space he carved out of the bigger cabinet.

WOOHOO!
WOW! That's a lot of spices! And I'm drooling with envy at that spice rack.

When I started to amass a bunch of spice jars, I looked high and low for a spice rack and finally decided to make one.

My friend and I build dollhouses. She had some trim - some basswood that was about 2" wide, 1/4" thick, and 36" long. I measured the length of the wall space I had, then took a couple of those pieces of basswood and sort of got together a spice rack. The spice rack is two long sides, two shelves, and two backs to the shelves. Then I took some cove molding trim for dollhouses and I cut pieces of that to go across the front of the spice jars, to sort of hold them in. I have a hobby saw and miter box and that basswood is pretty easy to cut.

I use those sticky tabs to hold it up on the wall. Actually, a lot of sticky tabs. So far it hasn't fallen down.

It's very light and will hold 22 of my spices now (26 when I switch bottles), but I still need room for more spice bottles. I figure if I throw my salt and pepper up there, then I don't have to have those bottles hanging around by the stove. I'm pretty limited on counter space in my kitchen.

Seeing your spice rack gives me inspiration, although nothing I do can come close to yours. It's truly wonderful!

Old 11-07-2015, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I did it: I took control and now I realize how big my built in spice cabinet really is. I threw most the old stuff out yesterday, went to the spice store, got lots of new spices, wiped everything down and now I am happy with a clean, organized spice cabinet. I even wiped down the outside or it.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I cook nearly every day, but I keep limited spices on hand. Years ago, I bought fifteen clear spice jars from The Container Store, along with a stainless steel lazy susan that fit on the bottom shelf of the cabinet next to my stove. The spice jars fit perfectly around the perimeter of the lazy susan. I fill the jars from the bulk bins at my local Whole Foods three-to-four times a year to suit what I'm cooking at the moment. Right now, the jars are filled with fall spices and herbs: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, cloves, dried sage, etc. When spring hits, I'll change them up. It helps keep me from getting bored with the cooking routine and ensures that everything is fresh.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-07-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 01:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am still trying to find more ways to use tumeric...... it is supposed to be good for inflammation, but I have left it for indian dishes only so far.
Home-made yellow mustard.

Some other ideas.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-07-2015 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Added link.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:23 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
spices.... need work....one handed...not fun...

Old 11-09-2015, 02:46 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Most of our spices are in the top, pull out drawer of the freezer. They keep much longer there.

I was cleaning it up yesterday. Tasted a bit of habanero that I ground up (in 1999). WHOA!. It had not lost much of its punch!

Mike

Old 11-13-2015, 11:57 PM

33 posts, read 39,361 times
I tend to group my spices contextually. Spices I tend to use together are near each other. Spices I use more frequently are lower and more accessible and spices I use less in a higher cabinet. I pack the spice closer together down low because I am more familiar with the location and wider apart higher up to make it easier to pick them out.

Other people have difficulty finding things in my cabinet but since I am the only one cooking with spices it doesn't matter. I have a separate space with spare salt, pepper, shoyu and sugar for everyone else to use if they need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink