Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

OH my gosh. I was so sick and tired of trying to find something in my spice cabinet!!! Even though I had those stairstepped little shelves, the cabinet was tall and everything was always jumbled up in it.

So for months now, I've been looking at options - spice racks, things that hang inside doors or cabinets, magnetic panels you mount on the wall and then stick magnetized bottles to (pretty dang cool but I didn't have a good wall space for that idea), vials with corks for tops that hang in little racks, you name it. I read and read reviews on Amazon, because hey - this stuff can get expensive!

I finally decided on these racks with clear bottles/stainless steel tops, that sit horizontally with the labels on the lids rather than the bottle side. You have to buy labels (I am pleased with the ones I found on Amazon) and you have to empty out your spices into these bottles, but these bottles have nice, wide mouths (big enough to get a tsp measuring spoon inside) and they will hold what most standard size spice jars hold.

It took me four hours to get all this straight, but here are the before and after pictures!

Before - this gives me a headache just looking at it! And this particular corner of my kitchen is a little dark so on top of it all being so high I had to stand on my tiptoes, then I couldn't see anything because it was too dark inside the cabinet. NO BUENO!

Four hours after the Amazon delivery!

Woohoooo!

I really enjoyed this project, even though it was a hassle putting the labels on the bottles and filling them up. For one thing, my kitchen smells like a foreign country right now! As I was filling these pretty clear bottles with all those pungent spices, I kept thinking about how affluent we are as a nation, and how lucky we are to have such diversity right at our fingertips. I thought about the history of the spice trade, and how opulent this spread would look to most of my ancestors back in history. I thought about all the good meals I'll be cooking for my family, and all the ones we've shared before. Certain spices brought back memories of holidays, family, good times.

Total cost - about $80.

Just thought I'd share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
It looks great, Kathryn! I really like that the labels are on the lids, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Looks great!

When did you say that you were stopping by to tackle mine?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
What the heck do u do with all those CLOVES?????

Looks nice.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
What the heck do u do with all those CLOVES?????

Looks nice.
See- this was my problem! My spices would get pushed behind other ones and then I couldn't find what I wanted and I'd buy another jar - and that's how I ended up with two big jars of ground cloves! (The other cloves are whole cloves - and I use them in canning and during the holidays.) It was crazy. I also found two jars of allspice. And about five different kinds of Himalayan salt. Oh, and three jars of cinnamon sticks.

Wow.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
And I thought I was the only one with a spice habit!

I've got two spinny wood racks with the refillable glass bottles, for which I use regular round labels from the office supply store. I buy most spices in bulk bins now, which saves a ton of money. I also have a big wooden lazy Susan with the fancy schmancy stuff like cute tin boxes of Spanish Paprika, salt, pepper, etc. I also have about 12 jars of various sorts on the counter right now looking for a home. I also have problems!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Spices are a major headache for us. We'd do something like the OP but not enough counter space. My wife spent big bucks for dumb slide out contraptions and now a carousel. The cabinet is still not great ...roomier but not much better.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Forget the spices.

I love your granite counter-top, the stain steel kettle, the natural stone backsplash!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Gorgeous kitchen, and I love your spice idea!
I have several smaller spice racks and dozens of cluttered spice bottles in my pantry, I have been meaning to
do something like this also. Love the look!
Did you find it all on Amazon?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
it was better before when it was all in the cabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink