Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

This summer I froze red,green and yellow peppers and onions after i chopped them up. I used good Tupperware or other similar containers. Now I'm finding they have way too much water in them when thawed.

For berries I usually freeze them in a single layer on cookie sheet and then put them in a container in the freezer. I don't remember similar water problem. Should i start freezing my peppers and onions the same way? I used this method for blueberries cause I like to grab a few for waffles or pancakes but I freeze peppers and onions in bigger quantities cause I usually use at least half to full cup in recipes.
How do you freeze peppers and onions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I freeze bell peppers either whole or cut into chunks and de-seeded...I've never done the cookie sheet thing with them.
They are a tad limp* if I let them defrost, but since they're then either stir-fried or put in a stew, it doesn't affect the end result.

*I wouldn't use them for salads for this reason. But they seem great for cooking.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Yeah, due to the water volume, like celery - they don't really freeze well unless you intend to use them in soup or meatloaf or something. I have bought frozen onions and peppers already chopped at the grocery (just for convenience sake) and I only use those like I mentioned also - but they are probably frozen at a colder temperature due to commercial freezers. I actually figured this out after watching my mother freeze peppers whole - intending to stuff them later. Huge failure, plus I think those are much better with fresh, crunchy bell peppers.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
IMO freezing really ruins the texture of peppers. Frozen peppers are ok for soup but that's about it, and even then, I think you're better off dehydrating them and then re-hydrating them later on for the soup. I dehydrate, pickle, ferment, or make sauces or pastes out of what I grow. I've tried freezing them in the past but the results weren't very good. The texture grossed me out, even when chopped into very small pieces and sauteed.

Onions, I don't know. Have you considered dehydrating them too? You could grind the dehydrated onions and make your own onion powder. If I were going to freeze onions I would probably puree them first and use them later like a paste.

I kind of doubt there's a good way to freeze peppers and onions unless maybe you're flash freezing them with liquid nitrogen or something, and that would probably only give moderately better results.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Peppers, onions, and other foods containing a lot of water don't freeze as well as denser foods.

Freezing water expands, and when the water in the cells of the pepper expand they break down the cell walls, releasing the water contained within. The water you are seeing in the container was in the pepper when you started.

Some folks say to blanche peppers for three minutes in boiling water, then plunging into ice water to stop the blanche, than draining thoroughly before freezing for best quality. Others say it makes no difference.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-03-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
I've had very good luck dehydrating bell peppers. The dehydrated peppers are loaded with flavor and in no way inferior to fresh. I dehydrate at a temperature of 135 for five hours. I cut large chunks. If you mince them and don't crowd the rack the time will be shorter.

I use these in salads, soups, stews, marinara sauce, and even in stuffed bell peppers. The chunks of pepper are limp in salads because it's necessary to rehydrate them until soft. I don't believe that all salad ingredients must crunch but you may. When you dehydrate use the least amount of water necessary for complete hydration. Don't throw away the tasty liquid. In a salad add it to the dressing. In a salad add it to the dressing. This applies to everything that needs rehydration.

As far as stuffed peppers are concerned I only use whole fresh peppers for the shell. But I incorporate a hunk of finely rehydrated and minced bell pepper into the filling. It does really good things to the taste. The minced bell pepper also works in stuffed cabbage. I think that a rehydrated pepper would work for the shell but dehydrating whole peppers would be a bit of a chore.

I love bell peppers and use them frequently. The bell pepper is a wonderful vegetable.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
This will always happen with peppers. If you chop them before freezing, then put them frozen into soups and sauces, etc. you will not notice a difference. They will not be able to be thawed and retain their firmness. It is the same with herbs. I like frozen herbs because they retain their color, but you must add them to foods, still frozen, or they will get limp and soggy.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I don't know about peppers, but I freeze chopped up onions all the time. I get them from the food giveaway and chop them up and freeze them in freezer bags. I do the same with fresh potatoes, celery, carrots, and corn (leftover from a can) so far.

Sometimes they freeze in a lump and I use a hammer to break the chunk apart while still in the bag to break off what I want. I usually just use them in soups or pots of beans. They cook up great that way.

I've also used the chopped up frozen onions in omelettes with no problem.

I also freeze whole bunches of cilantro, and just cut off what i want to add to burritos, omelettes, soups, etc. Works great. No more throwing away partial rotten bunches of cilantro!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I also freeze whole bunches of cilantro, and just cut off what i want to add to burritos, omelettes, soups, etc. Works great. No more throwing away partial rotten bunches of cilantro!
Thank you for this! I can't tell you how much I've wasted. I had no idea you could freeze it - do you keep the roots on? Here they're always sold with the roots. I suppose it wouldn't matter...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Soome really good advice here. Thanks.

Of course I never expected my frozen peppers to be crunchy and used in a salad. I use them mostly for marinara sauces and cooking with meats and veggies- sometimes just for color.

I have been defrosting them on the counter then blotting away all that excess moisture before adding them to my recipes. Am I throwing away good nutrition or just water? Would it be better to just add the frozen peppers to my recipes and let the water incorporate with my dish?

Also how do you store your dehydrated veggies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink