Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:10 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times

Advertisements

My mother cooked neck bone occasionally, so I knew they were good eating when I bought some this week. I cook them rarely, but, will be doing so more often, I think. In the microwave, they pop way too much, so, these were put on top of stove in a skillet with a lid and not once did the bones pop. Every bite was totally delicious and I will have the rest today. No salt, but, pepper if desired. An inch of water in the skillet with burner sorta low. Add water as needed. Probably, tender after 2 hours of simmering, maybe a little longer.

Have you ever eaten neck bones or would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My mother cooked neck bone occasionally, so I knew they were good eating when I bought some this week. I cook them rarely, but, will be doing so more often, I think. In the microwave, they pop way too much, so, these were put on top of stove in a skillet with a lid and not once did the bones pop. Every bite was totally delicious and I will have the rest today. No salt, but, pepper if desired. An inch of water in the skillet with burner sorta low. Add water as needed. Probably, tender after 2 hours of simmering, maybe a little longer.

Have you ever eaten neck bones or would you?

We eat a lot of neck bones as they are very inexpensive.

If they are smoked neck bones, I use them to flavor beans, greens and the like. They add seasoning as well as a great gelatinous mouth feel.

Fresh neck bones make a great posole or pork and hominy stew. Again, the bones help to thicken the stew and give it a richer flavor than you generally get using the standard pork cubes.

I would NOT recommend microwaving as it takes a wet cooking method to tenderize the meat.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I use neck bones to make stock, then often eat the meat. But definitely WITH salt!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We eat a lot of neck bones as they are very inexpensive.

If they are smoked neck bones, I use them to flavor beans, greens and the like. They add seasoning as well as a great gelatinous mouth feel.

Fresh neck bones make a great posole or pork and hominy stew. Again, the bones help to thicken the stew and give it a richer flavor than you generally get using the standard pork cubes.

I would NOT recommend microwaving as it takes a wet cooking method to tenderize the meat.
I appreciate your post so much! I've always been glad my mom liked this sort of food. My dad didn't want it, so mom would cook the unusual dishes for herself (and me), making other things for my dad and brothers. Posole is new to me, but, I've already looked it up and read about it. I'll be making it. I only cook for one person, me, so usually like to have it more than one day.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I use neck bones to make stock, then often eat the meat. But definitely WITH salt!
Usually, I use plenty of salt, but, for some reason, the neck bones don't need it for me. Using them for stock makes me want all the bones I threw away back! I would use salt making stock, I think, but, haven't made any sort much, but, soup is a favorite.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,269 times
Crock pot + neckbones + onion + bbq sauce = AMZAING.

I also love neckbones and potatoes and neckbones and rice.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,840 times
Use smoked neck bones mostly as a flavoring ingredient, with the bonus of eating the meat after it falls off the bones, for greens, rice & peas, beans.

In Germany un-smoked ones were used for a regional dish -- schaukelbraten - other areas call it schwenkbraten--- seasoned with salt,pepper, paprika, caraway,onions, in the fridge for a day or 2, then grilled on this swinging grill contraption, liberally doused with wine[or I suppose beer, but we lived in a wine region]. They usually had more of the surrounding meat still attached though, and are more like pork neck chops.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I appreciate your post so much! I've always been glad my mom liked this sort of food. My dad didn't want it, so mom would cook the unusual dishes for herself (and me), making other things for my dad and brothers. Posole is new to me, but, I've already looked it up and read about it. I'll be making it. I only cook for one person, me, so usually like to have it more than one day.

There are two types of posole.

The Mexican style in a soup with neckbones, hominy, chili powder, and the like.

When I make it, I want more of a stew. And here is what I do:

Sweat one medium onion in a small pot.
Add in your seasonings - chili powder, salt, cumin, black pepper
Add in your neckbones and brown.
Once the neckbones are browned, add a can of hominy and water.
Add either poblano or jalapeno peppers and bell peppers if you want.
Add cilantro.
Cooks for 3-4 hours until it thickens

Do NOT cut back on the spices or it will be bland, very bland.

FWIW, I do not use recipes and that is about as detailed as it gets. That should take about 20 minutes of prep time and three hours of cooking.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
I had never had neck bones until I went to the South......the cook with the group I was staying with, in Atlanta, made neck bones and rice and everyone loved them....so I gave them a try. He cooked them very tender and made a gravy that was heavy with black pepper. I really liked them. Later I was assigned to rural Alabama and got used to neck bones cooked with greens....with baked sweet potatoes in their skins.

I sometimes buy smoked neck bones to cook with greens now.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,266 times
It has been ages since I had neckbones. I don't even know if the local markets carry them. I'll have to remember to look for them next time. They are delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink