Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,210,414 times

Advertisements

Eugeneonegin, you're correct on the curry leaves.
i know some Indian people who grow curry plants (not difficult, it's like a little tree and with enough light, quite hardy) for cooking. i've used fresh curry leaves and maybe i'm missing something but they didn't seem to add anything.

I also mostly use individual spices but blends and pre-made sauces are awfully handy for quick meals and some of them are really good.

I did grow my own thai basil and cilantro this year. (And okra, for "lady finger' curry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM

23,751 posts, read 24,321,675 times
Mmm, you are all making me hungry!

We love Japanese, Indian and Thai curries, but have only cooked Japanese and Thai curries at home.

We usually visit the Asian market (Marina or 99 Ranch) and buy S&B (Japanese) Extra Hot and Aroy-D (Thai) curry paste (green or yellow). We typically add sliced chicken thighs, potatoes and white onions to the S&B mix and chicken thighs, potatoes, mint leaves and coconut milk to the Aroy-D paste.

It is fall and a bowl of curry would make me feel great this evening!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,271,472 times
I love Thai curries, green especially.

I use chicken, red pepper, onion, bamboo shoots and usually a green vegetable too, I like green beans.

Then chuck in a bunch of fresh basil. Mmmmmm.

If I'm doing Indian it's fairly much the same except I chuck in a bunch of fresh coriander and top it with yogurt and cucumber.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,052,286 times
My ex made the best chicken curry. His mom made it even better. Nothing like authentic homemade food by someone who knows what they're doing.

They put peppers in it and it was pretty hot... After my tongue nearly burned off the first time, he made some changes so I could enjoy it. Wish i had the recipe.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 AM

37,801 posts, read 46,315,811 times
OMG Hell no. Curry smells horrid. Makes me ill just to think of it.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 AM

48,327 posts, read 22,087,048 times
I got hooked on Japanese curry while visiting in Japan and over there I have a favorite curry restaurant. I found out that most Japanese housewives use the packaged curry roux; and the Japanese grocery stores have a plethora of them....some with a hint of tomato some with a little apple.....etc etc. In my grocery stores in the good old USA I found that Golden's has the same product in regular and spicy versions....a pack of curry roux cubes. They make a very respectable curry.....Golden's is also popular in Japan.

Curry is so popular in Japan that I even saw donuts in Mr. Donut with a curry filling. Honest!

I recently made my own roux with butter and flour and added in Gram Masala and Curry Powder (S&B brand) for the seasoning.....it was very good.

I usually make beef curry, but have made shrimp curry and used my curry on Tonkatsu (panko breaded pork tenderloin).

I recently tried a pack of Coleman's curry mix (powder you cook in water) it made a good curry sauce....small amount but handy. That is an English curry product. I think I used it on some steamed asparagus as a sauce.

Last edited by elston; 10-28-2013 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM

6,423 posts, read 7,712,857 times
[quote=graceC;31976479]I prefer to make my Indian dishes from scratch. It's not that hard, if you already have the main powdered spices (coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, garam masala, etc), then you can alter the dishes with tomatoes or yogurt or both.
quote]

Me too!

Check out this heavy book:

660 Curries by Raghavan Lyer

In the Bay area you can buy Curry Leaf plants at Indian grocery stores or buy them on line. They really do taste best fresh from the plant into a fresh veggie curry or upma.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,474,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
OMG Hell no. Curry smells horrid. Makes me ill just to think of it.
My cousin is a chef, and refuses to eat curry, he says it is spices to cover up the taste of rotting meat and vegetables, created when spoilage was common prior to refrigeration.

I have made curry, but it is not the same as ordering it in a place that makes curries.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM

48,327 posts, read 22,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My cousin is a chef, and refuses to eat curry, he says it is spices to cover up the taste of rotting meat and vegetables, created when spoilage was common prior to refrigeration.

I have made curry, but it is not the same as ordering it in a place that makes curries.
I had heard the same about sage and thyme with turkey .... like the thanksgiving bird. I heard the reason that the explorers were seeking a sea route to "the Orient" was to get spices, (not specifically curry) to mask the scent of spoiling meats and poultry......

Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 AM

2,543 posts, read 3,751,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had heard the same about sage and thyme with turkey .... like the thanksgiving bird. I heard the reason that the explorers were seeking a sea route to "the Orient" was to get spices, (not specifically curry) to mask the scent of spoiling meats and poultry......
You'll hear stories like that about pretty much every food. The fact of the matter is, spices were highly sought after at the time because they're highly profitable merchandise, much like tulip bulbs once upon a time were priced more than gold. It's one of the reasons why countries like India and Indonesia were colonized by the west - to provide cheap source for spices which the west could then sell at high profit. So much so that the Netherlands, who colonized Indonesia for 500 years, implemented a policy of forced planting in Indonesia. The things they forced the farmers to plant? You guessed it, spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, etc, so they could harvest and sell them. Certain spices, like saffron, are still expensive as heck. I remember fresh curry leaves last year, during bad harvest season in Asia, were sold at $40 a pound in some of Asian supermarkets in my neighborhood. Had nothing to do with masking spoiled meats and poultry - I suspect that's just something invented by one who simply didn't like spicy food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink