Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,185,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Wife's friend loved curries. The ones that make you think, "What was I thinking?" yesterday.
I've leaned to enjoy the mild ones. Mild or medium. Those "Let's brace up and enjoy this!" curries, sort of hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I like some Indian curries, but not too too hot. What I really like is Thai red curry paste, and I make a stir-fry kind of thing with chicken, shrimp, or tofu that I then sauce with it. Yum.
This is such a common misconception. Curry dishes of any origin are not per se hot. Almost none of the common curry spice or sauce ingredients are hot. Mostly mild and flavorful. Curry leaves are not hot. 'Curry" meals only get hot when you add hot peppers.

Where did the notion that anything Thai, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern etc is automatically tongue-burning originate? Most of these foods are NOT "hot"! Just spicy. There's a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This is such a common misconception. Curry dishes of any origin are not per se hot. Almost none of the common curry spice or sauce ingredients are hot. Mostly mild and flavorful. Curry leaves are not hot. 'Curry" meals only get hot when you add hot peppers.

Where did the notion that anything Thai, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern etc is automatically tongue-burning originate? Most of these foods are NOT "hot"! Just spicy. There's a difference.
No, that's not what I was saying. I like some Indian curries, but I don't care for the very hot ones, more on the mild side. I also don't like hot salsa, medium is as far as I go. That does not mean that I think all Indian curries, or all salsas, are hot. It just means I prefer the ones that are not so hot.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,185,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
No, that's not what I was saying. I like some Indian curries, but I don't care for the very hot ones, more on the mild side. I also don't like hot salsa, medium is as far as I go. That does not mean that I think all Indian curries, or all salsas, are hot. It just means I prefer the ones that are not so hot.
Gotcha, and I didn't mean to single you out! Just an observation I've made over the years; that many people think curry in any form is automatically mouth-burning hot so they won't even try it.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,301,018 times
Quote:
Gotcha, and I didn't mean to single you out! Just an observation I've made over the years; that many people think curry in any form is automatically mouth-burning hot so they won't even try it.
It's all good. And you're right, a lot of people do think all curries are hot. I make a few curry-type soups that are spicy, but not spicy-hot.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,777,528 times
I love the seasoning curry - I use it as a regular spice (not just in curry dishes) when I want to add a little zing to the recipe. For example last night, I made a Crockpot pork shoulder and used a bit of curry along with more generous seasonings of fresh basil, oregano, garlic and cumin powder.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,741,341 times
Quote:
Also a misconception that curry leaves are a common ingredient in curry powders. I've never seen any that have curry leaves as an ingredient thought there is probably an exception out there somewhere. I'm not accusing you of saying they are because you didn't specifically type that, however, I'm just pointing that out because a lot of people think that.

Curry leaves are almost always used fresh and fried in oil or ghee along with onions at the beginning, or with mustard seeds, cardamom, garam masala, or other spices at the end, with the oil or ghee then added to temper a dish. They don't retain very much flavor when dried.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,001,410 times
I will use a packaged Thai curry paste (red or green) and add to it when making Thai at home. But for Indian, if I'm going to make a rogan josh or vindaloo or whatever from beef/lamb, I'm doing it from scratch. If I need to use up some tasteless skinless chicken breasts, then yeah, I might just dump a jar of curry simmer sauce on top.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,912,967 times
I prefer to cook Indian-style lamb curries and Thai-style chicken curries. I have the requisite spices on-hand, so I don't purchase pre-packaged curry sauces. I'm not against pre-packaged curry sauces because there are some very good pre-packaged sauces available.

For Thai curries, I love the flavor kaffir leaves add to the dish .

Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,855,052 times
I use the Golden Curry or Vermont Curry packages.
http://longho.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/sb-golden-curry-chukara.jpg

http://justhungry.com/files/images/vermontcurry1-amakuchi-e.jpg

Japanese curry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,743,082 times
I prefer to make my Indian dishes from scratch. It's not that hard, if you already have the main powdered spices (coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, garam masala, etc), then you can alter the dishes with tomatoes or yogurt or both.

Take Dhal for instance, which is a lentil curry, all you need is split lentils (yellow or red or mix of both), boil it with water for 20-30 minutes/till soft, add ground tomato, then fry the spices separately in oil (ginger garlic paste, mustard seeds, turmeric). Then pour the fried spices into the lentil pot, stir, add salt, add cream if you want this creamy. Throw some chopped fresh coriander in the pot, and you're done. Easy breezy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink