Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times

Advertisements

...or hide them in a fruit smoothie. The sweetness from the fruit covers them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
Soup is a good way to consume veggies. Stir fries too.

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
I've had asparagus before, didn't totally hate it, but it wasn't my favorite. May have been the way it was cooked. This recipe sounds like it's cooked differently than how I had it. I will give this a shot. I don't like soy sauce though, is there anything I can substitute for that?
Not really, it's the combination that makes it taste good. Garlic by itself would be too much, and you don't want to just add salt without the soy sauce. You can try this as an experiment with just a single handful of string beans, one package of soy sauce from the chinese take-out, and a small clove of garlic. That way if you don't like the end result, you're not throwing away a whole family-sized side-dish. I always make this just for myself, for one meal, because my husband, bless his pointy little head, doesn't "do" vegetables other than french fries.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times
Hi SD I cook for a lot of people with different tastes during the Holidays. I had company last weekend where I heard, "we don't eat vegetables". I made baked chicken and decided to have both yellow and green squash with red roasted peppers. I bought a jar of the peppers (in water) at Food Lion & cut a couple of them up very tiny. Cut each squash in half (save the other halves for another meal). I cut each squash lengthwise until they resemble tiny matchsticks about 1/8" in diameter. You can use a potato peeler also to make them very small. If you like garlic, slice up one clove.

In a frying pan heat up 2 T. olive oil, add squash matchsticks & stir quickly for about 1 1/2 mins. (you are sauteing) add the garlic & red peppers. I put in about 1 T of dry white wine, garlic powder, basil flakes and salt & pepper & cook, stirring another minute. I then took this mixture and put on the plate with the chicken on top. Everyone loved the different tastes and it was all gone.

What I have found is if you use a lot of different herbs/spices and experiment you can almost change the flavor of any dish to your liking.

You mentioned that you like sweet things. Butternut Squash Soup is easy and delicious. If you would like my recipe just let me know. You are only a little over an hour away from me, I can show you how to make it. Happy cooking. kelsie

Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
...or hide them in a fruit smoothie. The sweetness from the fruit covers them up.
I think the OP is trying to learn how to enjoy vegetables, not how to pretend not to be eating them while sneaking them into something else.

I'd gag if I made my own fruit smoothie with vegetables in it. If I know it's in there, I won't touch it. I like my fruit, fruit, and my veggies, veggies. And no, tomatoes don't count. They're mutants

Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 PM

679 posts, read 810,240 times
I'm enjoying reading all the suggestions. Thanks everyone! I'm trying to get excited about veggies (and cooking)!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
this is a good suggestion, i use to make alot of fruit smoothies and throw in veggies

some veggies no matter how you cook them still taste disgusting to some people, to this day, i dont eat turnip or squash- or cailiflower

but ive tried and tried to eat many other veggies, and slowly they are tolerable,, more tolerable if covered in gravy

Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think the OP is trying to learn how to enjoy vegetables, not how to pretend not to be eating them while sneaking them into something else.

I'd gag if I made my own fruit smoothie with vegetables in it. If I know it's in there, I won't touch it. I like my fruit, fruit, and my veggies, veggies. And no, tomatoes don't count. They're mutants
LOL.

I like my fruits and I like my veggies but actually like some parsely in my fruit smoothies...it seems to punch up and complement the flavor.
And mango salad with avocados and greens...YUM.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
My favorite way to cook veggies is to take a medley of vegetables straight out of the freezer and dump one pound on a cookie sheet that has edges; pour 2 T. of canola oil over them and sprinkle any flavoring you want to over them. (One friend I know uses poultry seasoning.) Bake them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. I love veggies so I just don't put anything on them.This makes the veggies not overdone and crunchy.

I cut a potato into about 8 wedges and bake the same way. I usually bake a couple of carrots cut into pieces with the potatoes. Two potatoes, two carrots, 2 T. canola oil and salt and pepper are good and crunchy too.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
I've had asparagus before, didn't totally hate it, but it wasn't my favorite. May have been the way it was cooked. This recipe sounds like it's cooked differently than how I had it. I will give this a shot. I don't like soy sauce though, is there anything I can substitute for that?
Salt.
Or butter and Italian spices.
Or (you probably won't like this but I do) green beans and anchovies.

Green Beans with Anchovies Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink