Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Make veggie turnovers or muffins! You can cook spinach and kale with cheese, and then bake them inside some crust/dough. Delicious!
great idea, I just made some zucchini muffins a few weeks ago. I made the mini ones, froze them and can take a few out whenever I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Do you like a salad once in awhile? Can you tolerate some nice lettuce with tomato and cucumber, with a dressing you like? If so, I would just have a salad a couple of times a week and quit beating yourselves up about the vegetables.

Have you tried well prepared vegetables at all? It sounds like all you eat are sugar and starch, and call them vegetables. It's no wonder you don't think you like them if you judge what's good by canned green beans.

I wonder if you might try thinking about food in a different way? You are a grown up, but yet you are still are closed to eating some foods like a child would be.

Maybe if you went to a nice farmer's market and surrounded yourself with people who grow and use high quality vegetables it would make you want to try them.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maybe if you went to a nice farmer's market and surrounded yourself with people who grow and use high quality vegetables it would make you want to try them.
This is a great idea. Not a great time of year to try it in many places, but a great idea for the spring if you don't have a year-round farmers' market.

I give you a lot of credit for trying to open up your palate -- most people just get stuck in their ways forever, and I think a lot of us veggie lovers don't realize how hard it can be to try vegetables if you've grown up your whole life without liking them. Childhood experiences with bad vegetable preparations can be a scarring thing, which is a lot of why people hate vegetables like brussels sprouts and beets.

I think I've mentioned this on other threads, but my husband was the pickiest eater when we met. He grew up primarily on canned or way overcooked vegetables, and just didn't care for anything beyond canned green beans. A salad was iceberg lettuce with some shredded cheese, a sad tomato slice and tons of ranch dressing.

Over the months and years, I gradually introduced him to different types of food. We had some hits and misses, but these days, he'll wolf down all types of vegetables without blinking, and salads are much healthier with no ranch dressing/cheese in sight. Preparation is almost everything in the taste/success. Presentation counts, too.

Keep trying -- even if you try something once and hate it, try it again, or try it a different way. It takes awhile to undo years of preferences.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,938 times
Fresh green beans or asparagus are delicious and easy to make by just cooking it in a pan with water.

Also try frozen mixed vegetable, and add some Morton's Seasoned All Salt for a kick.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
I didn't read all the posts here, but have you tried the veggie pastas? I think Mueller's makes one called "Hidden Vegetable" and Ronzoni makes one called Garden Delight? There is supposed to be a 1/2 cup of veggies in each serving. I think they're made with carrots, spinach and tomatoes, but not sure. I can't tell any difference between this and regular pasta.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
You should try cooking them with smoked meats, stock or bouillons, or even a small amount of bacon fat. Season really well with fresh ingredients (garlic, onion, fresh herbs, pepper flakes, etc). Even oil oil or lemon pepper.

Oh, and fresh veggies are great with different types of vinegar or fresh dill and dill weed. Of course ranch makes most veggies better.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
Have you tried adding veggies to foods you do like? Such as adding spinach to eggs or broccoli to pasta?
Adding a small amount of dip can help too so baby carrots dipped in hummus. There are some mixed veggies for the microwave that steam in the bag which I find simple and taste fresh that you can add to a stir fry for a quick meal.
For me when I was trying to eat more veggies having quick ready to eat ones on hand helped.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
You should try cooking them with smoked meats, stock or bouillons, or even a small amount of bacon fat. Season really well with fresh ingredients (garlic, onion, fresh herbs, pepper flakes, etc). Even oil oil or lemon pepper.

Oh, and fresh veggies are great with different types of vinegar or fresh dill and dill weed. Of course ranch makes most veggies better.
I meant to type olive oil.

I was a bit of a scatter brain yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink