Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 07:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I know it's not a food but mine would be beer. Seems like everyone drinks it but to me it's just bitter water.
But that doesn't mean beer as a beverage is overrated....you just don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:00 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
But that doesn't mean beer as a beverage is overrated....you just don't like it.
But that's true of every food or beverage mentioned in this thread. Isn't it?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Small little hole-in-the-wall joints thinking they can serve 5-star meals. Just stick to the basics, Reuben, burgers, and salads.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Mexican.

In my travels around the world, I've enjoyed Thai, Indian, Szechuan, Ethiopian, Cuban, Polynesian, as well as the various European cuisines. I have eaten at some of the supposedly greatest Mexican restaurants in places such as LA, El Paso, Austin, and Mexico. The places that were supposed to be the pinnacle of Mexican cuisine. Yet I've never walked out of a Mexican restaurant in my entire life and said to myself, "Wow. What a great meal."

Old 01-01-2015, 09:09 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
Krispy Kreme. I don't like how they look. I'm OK with how they taste, but not impressed by it. Also, warm donuts of any brand. I just don't get it. I prefer them room temp. KK advertises theirs being best warm.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Mexican.

In my travels around the world, I've enjoyed Thai, Indian, Szechuan, Ethiopian, Cuban, Polynesian, as well as the various European cuisines. I have eaten at some of the supposedly greatest Mexican restaurants in places such as LA, El Paso, Austin, and Mexico. The places that were supposed to be the pinnacle of Mexican cuisine. Yet I've never walked out of a Mexican restaurant in my entire life and said to myself, "Wow. What a great meal."
I've always tried to figure what the difference between good Mexican food and bad Mexican food is.

My vote for most overrated food is cheesecake. I've been served gourmet cheesecake and I would've been happier with a couple of Oreos.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
But that's true of every food or beverage mentioned in this thread. Isn't it?
Exactly. There are food trends that get a lot of press..but as foods they are still useful ingredients...even if someone does not like them.

A specfic dish (or even drink) from a specfic restaurant can be over rated in relation to its hype... but that is not the same as just not liking a dish or drink.

I dislike the hype around Chick-fil-A...the food is soggy and tasteless to me and the chains pics are personally revolting...so I don't get the love some have for it....but i don't think chicken sandwiches in general are the problem or refuse to eat them because of Chick-fil-A.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Exactly. There are food trends that get a lot of press..but as foods they are still useful ingredients...even if someone does not like them.

A specfic dish (or even drink) from a specfic restaurant can be over rated in relation to its hype... but that is not the same as just not liking a dish or drink.

I dislike the hype around Chick-fil-A...the food is soggy and tasteless to me and the chains pics are personally revolting...so I don't get the love some have for it....but i don't think chicken sandwiches in general are the problem or refuse to eat them because of Chick-fil-A.
Everything is a matter of opinion when it comes to food, or most things, for that matter. Food is very subjective. I happen to like Chick-fil-A but think it is overpriced. I love their commercials. We were talking about that at a family party yesterday.

Now, food that is often over rated in my opinion, is caviar, sushi, things like that. I don't see the draw, but there are others that probably think many of the foods we crave are just plain nothings. Another food that I happen to love, but think is overrated is prime rib: good yes, worth the money? Nope, same with Filet steaks. I prefer a good top sirloin or a rib steak, I think they have more flavor.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:27 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
Avacadoes!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2015, 07:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
Avacadoes!!!!!!
Spoiled brat would agree with you. He likes them, but they are not at the top of his "must have" list. Of course he didn't grow up with an avocado tree in his back yard. I doubt his family ever ate them even though they moved to So. Ca when he was about 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink