Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Cuisinart for 12 inch pizza and it is in use for everything from warming plates to focaccia and cornbread. Great customer service! One phone call and a replacement was delivered after the heat knob went out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,168 times
One thing I really like about the Breville was the warming tray on top!. I do own a Breville Cappuccino/ espresso maker. But again it mainly is used in winter time and it is a huge waste of counter space. It has a warmer on top so I know it works well. It was a gift.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
we'll start with the Cadillac, Seriously steam? As he said great for moist chicken, fish and rice?? Seriously rice? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that! I hate appliances that leak water.
Yes, it's the most expensive, but I wouldn't call it a Cadillac. Breville appliances are better designed and better made, and are nicer to use, across the board. As far as the steam feature, look at what kind of cooking you actually do now. Paying for features that you probably won't do is a waste. For a serious cook steam convection can be a useful feature, but if you're only going to make toast and heat frozen pizza it will just be one more thing to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
stepping down a level.. It is not quite smart enough to toast all toast evenly.
In this case "Smart" refers to the way the controls work, and Breville is tops in that regard. Notice that it got a higher rating than Cuisinart. And ask yourself, how often do you intend to toast 16 slices of bread at a time? In other words, consider your most probable real-world uses. If you're only going to make and eat two slices at a time, then you can buy a decent two-slice toaster for about $20 that will make better toast, faster, and using far less electricity than either of these far larger appliances.

As far as 1500 watts vs 1800 watts, it's simply a matter that the second uses more power than the first. Consideration should be given to what kind of circuit you'll be plugging into. In an older kitchen with 15 amp circuits, although 1800 watts is theoretically the maximum you can use, in my experience 1500 watts is a more practical choice, because it is less likely to trip an aging circuit breaker. If you have a 20 amp circuit, either is fine. But note that while using a high powered toaster oven or microwave, and you wish to use another high wattage appliance at the same time... coffee maker, big stand mixer, whatever... you should plug them into a different circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Cuisinart for 12 inch pizza and it is in use for everything from warming plates to focaccia and cornbread. Great customer service! One phone call and a replacement was delivered after the heat knob went out.
The good news is that you got good customer service... that certainly hasn't always been the case... but the bad news is that your first one broke. That's important information. In general Cuisinart has always had a higher defective rate than any other line of home appliances I'm aware of. In my experience Hamilton Beach, Black & Decker, Oster, Breville are all more reliable brands overall.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 AM

As far as 1500 watts vs 1800 watts, it's simply a matter that the second uses more power than the first. Consideration should be given to what kind of circuit you'll be plugging into. In an older kitchen with 15 amp circuits, although 1800 watts is theoretically the maximum you can use, in my experience 1500 watts is a more practical choice, because it is less likely to trip an aging circuit breaker. If you have a 20 amp circuit, either is fine. But note that while using a high powered toaster oven or microwave, and you wish to use another high wattage appliance at the same time... coffee maker, big stand mixer, whatever... you should plug them into a different circuit.

Looks like I need to check!! Great Info and Thank You!!

I really want to cook dinner in it IE summertime cooking, Pork chops, chicken, fish, wings etc. That was why I thought a higher wattage would be better!

I tried to rep but can"t . Again thanks!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

The good news is that you got good customer service... that certainly hasn't always been the case... but the bad news is that your first one broke. That's important information. In general Cuisinart has always had a higher defective rate than any other line of home appliances I'm aware of. In my experience Hamilton Beach, Black & Decker, Oster, Breville are all more reliable brands overall.
At 99$ minus 20$ and daily use inside in winter outside in Texas in summer - it does not matter as they replace small appliances within one year of purchase.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Don't have a full size oven OR a toaster oven.
I use microwave/convection combo, regular toaster or BBQ grill.
For pizza reheat I use frying pan.
I don't like lots of appliances to clean, clutter up counters or take up cabinet storage space.
But I am a bit of a minimalist and i live alone.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
Quote:
The thing that has always cracked me up about toaster ovens is that they are misnamed. For starters they are pretty much universally inferior for making toast. They take far longer than a toaster to make toast, and the toast is rarely uniformly toasted. It's almost always darker on one side than on the other. For toast, real toast, I'll take a good wide-mouth toaster any day.
I forgot to mention that - I never use mine for toast!

Use a regular toaster for that.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B...rsor=1&sort=rd

Now this guy has me convinced this is the one!! The price is better than Breville.

So what do Y ' all think?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
...Breville appliances are better designed and better made, and are nicer to use, across the board...
Too bad Alto-Shaam doesn't make a toaster oven .

Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
So, I have the Breville Smart Oven, which is $249 so a bit pricier than the price range the OP originally mentioned.

I freaking LOVE this thing. I use it all the time - not necessarily every day, but easily 5 days a week.

It's really nice for someone living alone or for a household of 2 people. Great for heating up leftovers (they can get gross in the microwave), baking smaller quantities (batches of 6-12 muffins), and it makes a great pizza. It's also useful on the occasions when I have a dinner party and need to cook things at different temperatures.

It's a bit larger than a standard toaster oven, but it does an excellent job. If mine broke or disappeared, I'd be rushing out to buy a replacement one.

As far as the quality of the toast it produces.. it's not the best toast I've ever had, but it does a perfectly acceptable job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink