Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 AM

47,010 posts, read 26,056,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I myself have never done this. Not that the food item did not warrant replacement or whatever. its just that I am not that picky of an eater and can eat just about anything served to me ( be it over spiced or over done or not cooked enough )

I am not a passive personality in any way shape or form ( actually quite the opposite )

I just prefer not to make a scene and will eat my meal and possibly mention it to the server if they check in that I am unhappy with it. But I have never actually sent it back to either be redone or replaced that I can recall.

Maybe because I typically order pretty standard entrees and do not frequent upper end high $$ places where I feel slighted by my $60 meal not being up to snuff so to speak. usually if I am eating out its a $12-15 menu item sitting infront of me ( hardly worth the effort to complain )

I recently ( past few years ) have really been doing the Yelp thing. And reading the reviews I notice its far more common for patrons to send things back to the kitchen than I thought.

Just curious everyones here experiences and thoughts on this issue

Poll added ( can you tell I like polls !! )
Sure have, but it's years in between.

I like a good steak rare and while I'll shrug off medium rare and eat it anyway, I've had many a medium steak put in front of me. And that goes back. I'm polite, I make it clear to the server that I know it's not their fault (it may be, but why antagonize?), I tip for the service as I would have otherwise, but I'm not eating a medium steak if I ordered rare. Experience has taught me to stress it when I order "I do mean rare - cold red center, please" and that has lowered the incidence rate.

For pretty much any other item, if it's hot/cold as appropriate and not spoiled, I'll eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 11:49 AM

47,010 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have sent a steak back. Although I like med rare, once in awhile it’s still mooing. If something is too well done, I usually just eat it, since you can’t unring a bell.
You're more generous than I. If it's overcooked, I ask for another. It's not a complex meal and not my fault.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM

638 posts, read 530,454 times
Once. It was entirely the wrong meal. Yes. Was the server’s error. In our state they can’t take it out of the worker’s paycheck so I don’t mind sending it back.

Edit: No hissy fit is involved. You can politely and kindly tell a server, “Pardon me, but I ordered something else / there is a hair here / this was not cooked as I ordered it.” I have had people return things unnecessarily when I waited tables but nobody threw a fit. Yeesh.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,697,571 times
Only once, when a co-worker at a new job treated me to lunch at an upscale restaurant. Since I felt that his salary probably wasn't much more than mine, I searched the menu for an inexpensive item and ordered a lox sandwich.

Unfortunately, not only did I not know what "lox" was, but I don't eat seafood, period. Everyone was very understanding, although I was red-faced about my ignorance.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:43 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Once. It was entirely the wrong meal. Yes. Was the server’s error. In our state they can’t take it out of the worker’s paycheck so I don’t mind sending it back.

Edit: No hissy fit is involved. You can politely and kindly tell a server, “Pardon me, but I ordered something else / there is a hair here / this was not cooked as I ordered it.” I have had people return things unnecessarily when I waited tables but nobody threw a fit. Yeesh.
You are right. As long as a customer is polite, any server is glad to try to accommodate the guest. It’s their job to make us have a good experience. There is no need to be argumentative.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Princess and the Pea Syndrome. They are eating out. That's "special" for them, so they expect to be seen and treated in the exalted Marie Antoinette manner to which they suddenly believe they are entitled. It's all so transparent. Try not to be one of those people.

Meanwhile, at any decent-sized restaarant, having food sent back is an on-going fact of life. Sometimes it is the fault of the restaurant, but far more often it is the fault of the clientele.
How is it the fault of the clientele? I get if they don't read the items on a menu or menu board such as mistaking chicken fried rice for fried chicken with rice, (a true story where my dad works) but most times with me or my family, it is asked for something to be off (mayo, lettuce, mustard, mushrooms, etc.) or the meat is over/under cooked or the meal is cold. How is a ticket read, put in wrong or left sitting too long "the fault of the clientele?"

Old 10-29-2017, 01:57 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,028,935 times
I do every once in awhile.

I always mention I can't do cow dairy and if there's cheese in a plate to leave it out.

Every once in awhile someone forgets. If I don't send it back for a different one my day is ruined.

I developed that allergy in the mid twenties. Before that I never did. I was a human trashcan. Could feed me anything, food was food.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
I have sent sweet potato fries, which I consider to be a real treat, back because they were limp and lukewarm.

I once sent a bowl of chili back that had obviously been sweetened(!).

I've also encountered two cases of "tomato soup" that were simply warmed up tomato sauce. I sent those back too. I now request a taste of all soups before ordering. Recently I got the worst example of clam chowder I ever tried to eat back as inedible.

These examples are out of many years of eating out. I try not to be a diva about things. But when you are looking forward to eating something good, it is maddening to be given something awful.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 890,409 times
Only once. At Epcot ... I think the restaurant was Marrakesh. I ordered Rack of Lamb, did not like it at all, ordered something else. It’s a fantastic restaurant we’d eaten at before, I just did not like that particular dish.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I ordered Rack of Lamb, did not like it at all, ordered something else.
IMO that's not a reason to send back a dish. How ridiculous. You ordered it, you just didn't like it. Just no. Order another dish and pay for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink