Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Obviously there's some history between the two of you, but I agree. If you order something and it's not prepared as you requested or as described on the menu, then that's a case to talk to the server and have the meal corrected. If it's a case that you ordered something and you don't like it, that's not the restaurant's responsibility, that's on you. They usually do want to make sure you have a nice meal, but sending a perfectly good meal back and expecting to be comped for it because it's not to your taste is not cool.
I am on board with this concept and restaurant etiquette completely

But seeing as how I am 0 for 56 yrs ... I doubt I am personally shipping back a meal to the kitchen because I didn't like it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:45 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I have only sent food back twice in my 64 years, and both were for very good reasons.

One time at Stuart Anderson's Black Angus, my steak arrived and more than half of it was fat. The manager came over and was so appalled that she not only had my entire meal replaced and comped,but she did the same for my husband (and his was fine) and comped BOTH meals. We were loyal Black Angus customers, anyway, and until they went out of business, that is where we always went for steak.

The other time was because the beer battered shrimp I ordered was so underdone that the batter was still wet and doughy -- so that, needless to say, I could definitely still taste the beer. Yuck!

Last edited by katharsis; 10-31-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 10:59 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
I don't send food back because I don't trust cooks to not do something gross to my food. But....

In Sept I did an exception when my friend and I ordered burgers, and it came back way too underdone. First time there so I didn't know what to expect. But the cook station was in front of us, so I sent it back to be cooked longer while I watched the cooks like a hawk. Normally, I wouldn't do this ~ I'd just do without.

Last week I ordered an omelet from a place that makes exceptional ones. I ordered two cheeses in it, and this time I literally couldn't find cheese in it, although the cook swore to the waitress that he put it in there. I did not want it send it back but I asked her if she would please discount it, which she did. No sense in paying for extra ingredients that weren't there. This restaurant has been hiking prices regularly, so I hope they're not getting stingy on portions, too.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I don't send food back because I don't trust cooks to not do something gross to my food. But....

In Sept I did an exception when my friend and I ordered burgers, and it came back way too underdone. First time there so I didn't know what to expect. But the cook station was in front of us, so I sent it back to be cooked longer while I watched the cooks like a hawk. Normally, I wouldn't do this ~ I'd just do without.

Last week I ordered an omelet from a place that makes exceptional ones. I ordered two cheeses in it, and this time I literally couldn't find cheese in it, although the cook swore to the waitress that he put it in there. I did not want it send it back but I asked her if she would please discount it, which she did. No sense in paying for extra ingredients that weren't there. This restaurant has been hiking prices regularly, so I hope they're not getting stingy on portions, too.
I am in the same camp - in the back of my mind I really do not want that uneasy feeling of thinking some disgruntled cook gets the opportunity to 'get even' with me for sending something back to his kitchen.

That and the fact I am not really that picky of an eater = I can tolerate most any over cooked or under cooked item. As well as I can usually eat and thing added or left out also ( within reason )

Most of my current dining out is at places I am considered a regular so minor mix ups are rare. Much less something big enough to even consider shipping it back to the kitchen. The majority of eating out meals are in the $12-15 entrée price range ( hardly worth getting your Jimmys russled )

Old 11-02-2017, 04:00 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I was given a bad burger at Culvers.. the onion, mushroom, swiss burger.. it was missing all the mushroom and onions and the burger patty was overcooked.. I tell ya Culvers burgers are great until they are not. Eating that overcooked burger left a psychological distaste for Culvers in me even though that was the first subpar burger I've gotten from them.

These days getting a good restaurant burger is difficult because for legal reasons they want to overcook them so I make them myself.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:28 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I WILL send my food back to the kitchen if the food is too cold. I despise dishes that arrive at my table just barely warm. Especially soups.
I also would send back meat that is too raw or too tough to even cut into ( it happened, sadly), or when is way too salty to be enjoyable, or when something is really wrong with my meal (hair, insect, food swimming in grease etc. ) And why not? When the waiter comes to your table and ask if everything is ok, that's the moment you should voice your concern. In a polite way. Most chefs will appreciate it. They cook to please you, no? They want your business.
Other than that, I will go through the unsatisfactory meal, but never come back.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:54 PM

12,285 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've sent food back a few times. I'm not going to accept something that's inedible. I don't want a replacement. If the kitchen can't produce a decent meal the first time around, I don't want to see what happens in round two.
Sadly this is true. I won't pay for something inedible, but as others have stated you can't give them another try.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 PM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've sent food back a few times. I'm not going to accept something that's inedible. I don't want a replacement. If the kitchen can't produce a decent meal the first time around, I don't want to see what happens in round two.
Round two...priceless!

I won't send anything back even at FF places.
There, I just ask for a refund and refuse a new one.

It hasn't happened to me, but what happens if a nice sit-down offers to rectify their mistake by making you another, but you politely decline, so they say you will be charged for the full uneaten meal regardless, since they offered to make it right?

I'm guessing that would be a good time to have your iPhone in the record mode before you discuss it with them?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have only done this once. I remember at a nice restaurant I ordered a steak, MR.

It came well done. I asked the waitress to have it done correctly (burned crisp). It came back almost raw. I sent it back again (I have never done this before). It came back half cook well and the other raw (put in the microwave). The waitress says, "well that is what medium rare is, half cooked half raw" comical!
You use Yelp to share best places with your friends? It helped you find a perfect service that fits your expectations, but it took too much time searching? Take a look on «Yelp fans» on Facebook! Search faster scrolling through posts, decide where to hang out by checking photos, ask anything in comments and get quick answers. Repost and let your friends know this café has the best coffee around!

«Yelp fans» is the comfort zone for all who enjoys getting recommendations daily and likes sharing his own experience.

You can find it at: [url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/137198813674771/[/url]

Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Round two...priceless!

I won't send anything back even at FF places.
There, I just ask for a refund and refuse a new one.

It hasn't happened to me, but what happens if a nice sit-down offers to rectify their mistake by making you another, but you politely decline, so they say you will be charged for the full uneaten meal regardless, since they offered to make it right?

I'm guessing that would be a good time to have your iPhone in the record mode before you discuss it with them?
I doubt any restaurant would dig their heels in and take than stance.

It would obvious lead to a scene in the dining room and could alienate other diners from returning ever.

99.9% would eat the loss - apologize to the customer and toss the food.

I have never had a service industry job and that's what I would do if I were the mgr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink